Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Keys, wallet, cell

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Keys, wallet, cell

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 07:30 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Did anyone say fanny pack yet?
Fanny packs are trending...

Google waist bags

Old 11-03-18, 08:33 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
I don't wear bike jerseys, and I cringe when I see a rider with jersey pockets full of crapola, looks like a spare tire around the waist. Bought this little feller from Ellum Bag Works in Texas just for those items:

I have a small, old Cannondale under-saddlebag that holds the spare tube, multitool and shower cap for the saddle. It was too small and inconvenient to carry the phone. I like this little Ellum bag, quick access to the phone.
I'm not a fan of bike jerseys either. I like the shorts / tights, I just don't like the tight shoulder and arm restriction. I like that bag and color combo
Old 11-04-18, 10:52 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
That's why jerseys have back pockets. Wallet, car key in left, phone in center, snacks on right, my preference. As phones get bigger and heavier, I sometimes use a top tube bento bag for mine. I usually leave the house keys hidden in my car. I've heard that you shouldn't keep your smart car key close to your phone, but no problems so far.
Old 11-04-18, 12:26 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Where do you like to store this stuff while riding?
Keys go into your seat bag (it typically has a carabiner specifically for that purpose). Wallet and phone go into the jersey pockets. That's it.
Old 11-04-18, 12:28 PM
bigoldroadie

Bikes: Giant Road E1 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like a lot of people. I keep those items in my back jersey pocket, center pocket. But one thing I do in addition is stuff a clean small towel or rag on top of the wallet, cell and keys, just in case I crash, I don't want all or any of my stuff falling out on the road or losing them. In my wallet I take out, before the ride, all non essential stuff, like extra credit cards I won't use, or all the credit cards if I know I won't need them on the ride. No reason to lose more stuff, if I do lose the wallet somehow. Do keep ID, med card in though. I hear in some states AAA will come out on a bike call to get you home ... like if you broke a chain or other really bad breakdown.
Old 11-04-18, 12:30 PM
bigoldroadie

Bikes: Giant Road E1 2018

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the seat bag, I just keep flat repair stuff .... I like a small bag!
Old 11-04-18, 12:40 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Keys, ID, CC: Seat wedge bag.
Cell phone: Inside ziploc in jersey pocket.

Mostly I don't bother with keys though. Get a keyless entry for garage and you won't need them unless you're taking your car to your ride's starting point. But usually I just ride from my home unless I've brought my bike on an out-of-town trip.

I like the idea of photocopying the driver's license.
Old 11-04-18, 01:11 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Sweaty wallets? eww. why? I have a nylon/synthetic wallet for everyday use, billed as a hiking wallet. that goes into either of the packs shown below, or if it's a REAL ride, not simple 5-15 miles jaunt, i'll move essentials like drivers license, med ID card, CC card, $10 or $20 bill, and one car key into a cuben fiber/dyneema hiking wallet i picked up online for $10. incredibly light and minimal. this is mainly for when i backpack, but works perfectly for rides too.

On my hardtail mountain bike, i use a Topeak fuel tank for tire tools, iphone 7+, snacks, wallet... works perfectly for me, there's no intrusion at all, not sure how a previous early poster had problems with one.

On my new gravel bike, i double-tie a bandana to the handlebar, i have an inexpensive black carbon-look cylindrical case that zips closed, opens up clamshell-style, goes in my under-downtube bottle mount.

And with this $15 frame pack for everything else. snacks including a banana, and small ziplocks of trail snacks at times. I'm upgrading to a better quality pack, but this design is great.

that's how i carry my stuff. rarely do i use cycling jerseys but when i do, i might slip my phone into one outer pocket for easy grabbing. never heavy bulky stuff, i just don't want to stretch the pockets out too early, and bottom line, have not had the need.

eric/fresno
Old 11-04-18, 01:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Keys. wallet, cell

Where do you like to store this ...
OK. four pages in. Time for the real answer. When you're in a cell, you have no say on where your keys and wallet are stored.
Old 11-04-18, 03:59 PM
Stangman03

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

`This is offensive on so many levels. I really don’t care what you wear to ride a bike but you don’t have to denigrate others who make different choices of any kind.

I carry mine in a pouch in my Camelbak. I also carry my regular glasses there to. For the very few times I don’t carry a Camelbak, I only carry my ID and a credit card in a saddle bag. I might not even carry my cell phone on those kinds of rides...OH THE HORROR!
Just wait untill MikeyMK gets the leg of his jeans caught in his bike chain...
Old 11-04-18, 06:39 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
It depends on what I'm doing. For casual rides or commuting, I wear MTB shorts and just carry stuff in my pockets. For serious road rides in spandex shorts I use my jersey pockets since my tube, pump and tools live in a seat pack and I occasionally substitute a ziploc bag for my wallet.For mountain biking my wallet keys and phone go in my Camelbak so I won't lose them in a fall.
Old 11-05-18, 10:40 AM
guidosan

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I commute I store these in the panniers. On my road rides, I rubber-band my license, a credit card and some cash to the back of my phone and put into a zip lock bag and store in my jersey pocket. For the road rides, I don't carry a car key, but if I needed to I would have include the single key with the other items rubber banded to the phone.
Old 11-05-18, 12:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangman03

You don't need lycra to avoid that. If you're wearing long pants, tuck your cuffs into your socks.

Wear lycra all you want, but don't delude yourself into thinking it's a necessity for everyone.

I don't like the look of it, am suspicious it would mess with my latex sensitivity, and I do quite well wearing street clothes. I find the pocket placements on cargo shorts a lot more convenient than the pouches on jerseys. Your mileage will undoubtedly vary, and it's all good. Mikey came off as goofy because he's making fun of other people's choices, don't be Mikey in reverse.
Old 11-05-18, 06:29 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 252 Posts
Don't take my keys. I have code entry to my house. Wallet is a leather money clip with copy of driver's license, insurance card and $20 dollar bill. I keep it next to my helmet for rides only. Cell and money clip go in my jersey pocket. I have a RoadID on my Garmin Fenix 5x watch that has my emergency numbers and medical stuff engraved on it. I'm bummed, RoadID doesn't make the band clips any more for smart watches. I wish they did.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 11-05-18 at 06:50 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 08:53 PM
b1934

Bikes: 2017 Hyper Beach Cruiser, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record, 1974 Motobecane Mirage

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of good suggestions here. Another vote for cargo short pockets for warm weather rides, jacket pockets in cooler weather.
Old 11-06-18, 03:17 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Lot of people saying they put their phone in their jersey / jacket pocket, I used to do this and noticed it was damp every time I finished a ride and thought ... that's not great ... I then saw a post that someone mentioned sweat is very corrosive which I hadn't thought about so stopped doing it although do notice quite a few people say in a ziploc bag which'd protect it.

I have a small waterproof top tube bag with a few different departments with everything I want close to hand ... phone, money / credit card, some loose change, small reading glasses garage remote, front door key and spare torch batteries.

I've got a bit anal about it and we often go for a beer at the end of a ride and I go as far as separating I put the things I might want in the pub into one pocket so I don't have to spend ages fumbling around often in the dark trying to find the bits I want ..... and have the garage remote handy so I can press the button before I get there and ride straight into the garage without stopping.

Before anybody does I'll say ...... "I think I need to get a life"

That said cycling in a gorgeous part of the country twice a week with friends followed by beer's non too shabby
Old 11-06-18, 08:26 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangman03
Heh, all my boot cut jeans have slight oil staining at the end of the inner right seam, it says i'm a cyclist, I wear it with pride!
Old 11-06-18, 03:37 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
(except keys. why keys?)
What else are you supposed to do with them after you lock your house to go ride? Throw em the bushes?

Originally Posted by BCDrums
I don't wear bike jerseys, and I cringe when I see a rider with jersey pockets full of crapola, looks like a spare tire around the waist. Bought this little feller from Ellum Bag Works in Texas just for those items:

That's funny, I cringe when I see a handlebar bag. No joke.
Old 11-06-18, 03:39 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Depends what the bike is being used for. Handlebar bags have their proper place.
Old 11-06-18, 04:15 PM
Witterings

Depends what the bike is being used for. Handlebar bags have their proper place.
Only if they match the colour of half the bar tape
Old 11-06-18, 07:35 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
What else are you supposed to do with them after you lock your house to go ride? Throw em the bushes?
Lock the house?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 11-06-18, 09:11 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Witterings
Only if they match the colour of half the bar tape
i like the swagger with some bright colors on a bicycle
Old 11-07-18, 01:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
MTB: Camelbak with my water and everything else.

Road: Saddle bag or trunk bag.

Commuting: Pockets.
Old 11-07-18, 03:52 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by duffer1960
Rear rack and trunk. Can carry a windbreaker or other clothing, Allen keys, flat kit, lunch/snack, etc., in addition.
Same here. Extremely handy.
Old 11-07-18, 03:59 AM
Witterings

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Lock the house?
Where do you lie and what days / times do you go out riding

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.