Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rim brakes, amusing failure mode

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-19, 05:50 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts

So I hopped on my bike, headed down the hill from my house towards the stoplight at the bottom, and... no brakes! I squeezed hard, and all of a sudden they engaged -- hard. I didn't crash. My brakes worked fine for the rest of my ride. Next day, same thing.

I also noticed that my mirror was fogging up...

Turns out I store my bikes in the garage, which is below the house, and cool. When I get out into the humidity, water condenses on the rims, and my brakes are temporarily slippery. After the rims warm up, no more problem. Today, it was 95+ out, and quite humid, when I left my workplace. It took half a block before my brakes warmed up, and my mirror was wet for quite a while.

Not a big deal, just an amusing new thing I learned.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-19-19, 06:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What brand and model pads are you running?

My guess is that you would not have noticed a thing with good wet weather pads like Koolstop salmon.

-Tim-
Old 07-19-19, 06:38 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by TimothyH
What brand and model pads are you running?

My guess is that you would not have noticed a thing with good wet weather pads like Koolstop salmon.

-Tim-
Ah, you got me, after that other thread. They're the cheapies from Jagwire. Now I have to track down some of the Koolstop pads and make a comparison. Good thought. I'd certainly like to believe that the cheapies are as good, but I would pay a couple more bucks for better safety if it works out that way.
Old 07-19-19, 06:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Those kss will likely give off that brake honking noise when used in a wet condition. Just a fyi.
Old 07-19-19, 06:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

I have Koolstop salmon on three bikes and don't get any noise, wet or dry.

-Tim-
Old 07-19-19, 07:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Kool, but i didn't end up as fortunate when i used them. Rims were alloy too.
Old 07-19-19, 08:28 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
No noise with Kool Stop salmon on my rims when wet. I mounted them on a bike for the first time about 6 weeks ago and I love them, wet or dry.
Old 07-20-19, 02:39 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
In scenarios like this, just lightly engage the brake to shed the built up moisture and heat the rim up. Literally only takes a few seconds at best and then you’re good to go. No fancy pads necessary. Kool stop salmon compound pads are designed for use in wet weather conditions like riding in the rain. Totally unnecessary for your situation. Nothing wrong with upgrading your brake pads, just to say you don’t need to spend any money to solve this simple problem. This is like bicycle riding 101. No offence meant there, it’s just a simple problem that isn’t really a problem.
Likes For seamuis:
Old 07-20-19, 04:50 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Discs.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 07-20-19, 05:42 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've had squealing issues with Koolstop dual compound (2/3 salmon 1/3 black) but they went away after I switched from cantilever to mini-v. My tandem had dual compound pads with V brakes, never squealed. It could be worse, I had flashbacks to just how terrible generic Weinmann centerpull brakes were on wet steel rims.
Old 07-21-19, 04:27 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Try a Schwinn Varsity with chrome steel rims on a downhill in the rain, you'll never be surprised again
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 07-21-19, 09:58 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Switch to koolstop salmon pads and this whole thread becomes moot. $12 is cheap piece of mind.

I have ave them on three bikes. They work extemely well in the dry.

-Tim-
Old 07-21-19, 10:25 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
If you switch pads to a different compound, take some scotchbrite to the rim sidewalls to clean off the braking surface first. You should do this from tile to time anyway, but it will help with your braking if you’re gonna spend the money.
Old 07-21-19, 12:52 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Switch to koolstop salmon pads and this whole thread becomes moot. $12 is cheap piece of mind.

I have ave them on three bikes. They work extemely well in the dry.

-Tim-
It's an experiment I definitely plan on trying.
Old 07-21-19, 12:53 PM
Gresp15C

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Try a Schwinn Varsity with chrome steel rims on a downhill in the rain, you'll never be surprised again
Indeed, I rode a Varsity as a teenager. The other fun fact is that no amount of rust on those rims made the braking any better.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-21-19, 05:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
On my bike with cantilever brakes, I use Jagware black thinline pads (curved to match the rim) on the front, and Kool Stop Eagle 2 salmon pads on the rear. Can't say I notice any differences in braking. Both are good. The Kool Stop Eagle 2 and a few other KS pads have wedges that simplify toe-in to minimize squealing.

In humid or wet weather I just make it a habit to occasionally ride the brakes to lightly scrape the rims clean, or brake early.

With my road bikes' sidepull rim brakes the main problem is the cheap Sunlite brand cable housing I'm using. It's supposedly compressionless, but... nah. It compresses enough for the first several rides that I needed to adjust cable tension a few times until the cable housing finally settled in. (Note to self: Get good quality cable housing from Shimano or Jagwire. No more cheapie no-name, faux-name stuff.)
Old 07-21-19, 09:27 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I thought KSS pads felt like absolute mush at the levers, not a good feeling, did not like. In fact, as someone who has the brake lever reach adjusted, and therefore less room to play with before hitting the bars, I hated the mushy feel of the KSS pads.

Back to stock hard Shimano road pads, so much better (for me).

...I'll show myself the door now.
Old 07-23-19, 10:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
So I hopped on my bike, headed down the hill from my house towards the stoplight at the bottom, and... no brakes! I squeezed hard, and all of a sudden they engaged -- hard. I didn't crash. My brakes worked fine for the rest of my ride. Next day, same thing.

I also noticed that my mirror was fogging up...

Turns out I store my bikes in the garage, which is below the house, and cool. When I get out into the humidity, water condenses on the rims, and my brakes are temporarily slippery. After the rims warm up, no more problem. Today, it was 95+ out, and quite humid, when I left my workplace. It took half a block before my brakes warmed up, and my mirror was wet for quite a while.

Not a big deal, just an amusing new thing I learned.
When I start riding in the humidity, the brakes on my FX 3 squeal so loudly, people a half block away turn around to figure out where it's coming from. On a MUP, people think I'm riding like a nut because tapping the brake sounds like I'm going super fast when braking.
Old 07-23-19, 11:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
I tour in rain, sleet and even snow with KSS, yo. No problemo.
Old 07-23-19, 11:19 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Reminds me of my winter mountain biking days.

The first downhill stop was fine. Before the second stop the water film from the melting snow would freeze on my rim. I don't think anybody makes brake pads for that.
Old 07-23-19, 11:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've got Koolstops on all my bikes, but they're not a panacea. My problem is either (1) getting bike out of garage and rolling it through dewy grass, or (2) rain showers. Either way, it takes a couple of wheel revolutions to dry the rims before the brakes will grab. (Note disk brakes might fix (1) if the grass is shorter than 15", but probably won't do a thing for (2).)

IME the KS shine by not picking up gravel and letting it get embedded in the pads.
Old 09-22-19, 12:50 PM
Gresp15C

Update! There were Koolstops on one of the bikes all along. They were just totally black on the outside from buildup of gunk, and I never looked at them closely. But the braking surfaces were nice and pink, not too worn down. So, both bikes had the same symptom, very similar 1980s Schwinn frames with 27" aluminum rims, one with KSS and the other with the Jagwire pads.

I'm certainly not going to worry about it, since it's a really minor issue, more a head-scratcher than anything else. I own one disc brake bike, but I still consider the rim brakes to be safe enough for my riding.

Possibly the most important thing is proper upkeep -- paying attention to gradual deterioration of the cabling, aging of the rubber, etc. Nowadays, brand new brake pads is pretty much the first thing I'd do with any bike more than a few years old that follows me home.

I noticed the pad material yesterday because one of the fork ends broke off while I was out on a shopping trip.
Old 09-22-19, 01:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
This sort of thing happens to me, too. Schlepping a bike from the cool air-conditioned house to hot and muggy outdoors means that condensation forms everywhere, and my first brake or two is less effective and often squeals. Since I can't get far from my house without a minor braking event, it's out of the way soon.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-24-19, 11:03 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
To eliminate brake squeal toe in the front of your brake pads. Place a rubber band between the rear of your brake pad and the rim when fitting pads. That will toe in the front a little bit, which is usually enough to eliminate squeal. T here must be a youtube video on this procedure.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 09-24-19, 11:50 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
The first time I hit a foggy stretch of road (where the road dipped down and went across a creek with a bunch of trees along it and a cool-air reservoir at the bottom) I went to turn into a neighborhood afterwards and the braking wasn't happening. I quickly decided going straight was the better idea. So yeah, now I know to pedal against the brakes for a bit after something like that to clear the rims and pads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.