Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 wireless unit

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Di2 wireless unit

Old 01-17-19, 03:43 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Might want to move the WU111 under the bar like I showed you if you continue to have connection issues with your Garmin.
Thx. It is resolved for now. I will see how it works when I actually ride outside and report back.
Old 03-03-19, 09:12 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

I have the 9000 and I am able to switch pages from the buttons on the hoods. I changed to the newer battery so my 9,000 will also synchro shift.

The battery needs to be different for syncro shifting? And, if I buy a bike now with 8050/8070 will I get that new battery?
Old 03-03-19, 09:14 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I had it installed when I bought the bike, so I don't know. My battery is good for about 600-700 miles, I expected more, but I live and ride in hilly terrain and shift constantly.

Changing seat posts took about five minutes, and that's where my battery is too. It's not a big deal.
Is that battery in the seat post, or in the seat tube? I think seat post right? Then where is the battery in a bike like the Canyon which has a 'split' seat post?
Old 03-03-19, 09:35 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
The battery needs to be different for syncro shifting? And, if I buy a bike now with 8050/8070 will I get that new battery?
Any 6800 Di2 or later bike will have the "new" battery, alias DN110...even the new battery is fairly old,.
Old 03-03-19, 03:57 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Any 6800 Di2 or later bike will have the "new" battery, alias DN110...even the new battery is fairly old,.
And they’ve gotten creative with battery placement. You can get stems that have a slot built in for the cables when placing the battery inside. That plus h-bars now designed for internal cable routing and a bar end A button placement. Makes for clean installs,
Old 03-04-19, 11:12 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.

And they’ve gotten creative with battery placement. You can get stems that have a slot built in for the cables when placing the battery inside. That plus h-bars now designed for internal cable routing and a bar end A button placement. Makes for clean installs,
I extensively went through options to see if I could get a steerer mounted battery setup on my last build. There's some stuff readily available but I found that the way I would have to route the rest of the wiring to make everything work just made better sense for me with the frame I had to just go seatpost. Also had to do with stem options and the stock status of the steerer tube compression plugs that hold batteries.

Old 09-04-19, 03:17 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a wu111 to use with both my phone E-TUBE app and my wahoo elemnt roam...I believe I’ve read I can replace a jc200 inline junction box with it, without having to buy an additional cable, correct? My TCR has a jc200 in the tangle of wires underneath the bar...

now to research how to do the firmware update since I’ve read that can be tricky...
Old 09-04-19, 07:37 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CarloM
I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on a wu111 to use with both my phone E-TUBE app and my wahoo elemnt roam...I believe I’ve read I can replace a jc200 inline junction box with it, without having to buy an additional cable, correct? My TCR has a jc200 in the tangle of wires underneath the bar...

now to research how to do the firmware update since I’ve read that can be tricky...
the person who did that wiring needs to be shot
Likes For Chi_Z:
Old 09-04-19, 09:58 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
the person who did that wiring needs to be shot
Someone would have to probably buy a ticket to Taiwan...

Once the WU111 arrives I'll see if there's room for improvement in cable management. But back to my original question:

The WU111 should be able to replace that JC200 unit in the pic, with no additional wires, if I understand correctly?
Old 09-04-19, 10:25 AM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
But back to my original question:

The WU111 should be able to replace that JC200 unit in the pic, with no additional wires, if I understand correctly?
Not familiar with the jc200 unit, and the photo doesn’t really have a good view of it for my eyes, but if it is a short box with two “female” ports in it, you shouldn’t need extra wiring.
Old 09-04-19, 11:14 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex
Not familiar with the jc200 unit, and the photo doesn’t really have a good view of it for my eyes, but if it is a short box with two “female” ports in it, you shouldn’t need extra wiring.
Thanks! I realized that pic isn't great, so I looked it up (I can clearly read JC200 on the part when I turn it in my hand) on Competitive Cyclists site, which said this in the product description:
  • Di2 two port adapter
  • Used for extension purposes (female/female)
  • E-Tube project compatible
So it looks like I'm good to go, thanks again!
Old 09-06-19, 12:26 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
It will absolutely fit as a replacement for the F/F coupler. I just installed one myself, although internally in the seat tube, but I put it in place of that very coupler up front to update the firmware and get set it up since doing so requires disconnecting and reconnecting it. I also didn't use the app; the BCR2 charger/programmer and E-Tube Project on a Windows computer can update the firmware and it's a whole lot more reliable than some BT app.
Old 09-06-19, 01:02 AM
CarloM

I installed it very easily, and used Windows E-Tube to update the firmware. Everything seemed to go swimmingly until my iPhone X failed to sense it over BT. Not sure why. I pressed the junction box button until the alternating lights. Phone couldn't sense it through the normal bluetooth connection. Tried to launch the E-Tube iPhone app, it claimed a "firmware update was needed" even though it was at it's latest, then would just spin the wheel non-stop. It never even asked for the 000000 passcode to authenticate the connection.

Fearing I had bricked it, I plugged it back into the PC and everything appeared fine. Unplugged, tested gear shifting, everything was fine. Tried to pair with iPhone, failed again. The decided to power on the Wahoo Roam...it sensed it and I paired it. Used the Wahoo app to add the Gear page. But I couldn't enable D-Fly yet because I couldn't connect via the phone. I'll try again tomorrow via the PC, otherwise I'm just going to ride to my local Giant shop where I bought the TCR and they'll do it for me.

I am a beta tester for Apple's new iOS 13...so the problem may lie in the beta iOS screwing up the E-Tube app (which was last updated a couple of months ago). This beta iOS has bricked one or two other apps I use, although the majority of them work just fine.
Old 09-06-19, 05:23 AM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I'm running ios 13 beta also...the E-Tube app is not working with it.
Old 09-06-19, 06:55 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
I installed it very easily, and used Windows E-Tube to update the firmware. Everything seemed to go swimmingly until my iPhone X failed to sense it over BT. Not sure why. I pressed the junction box button until the alternating lights. Phone couldn't sense it through the normal bluetooth connection. Tried to launch the E-Tube iPhone app, it claimed a "firmware update was needed" even though it was at it's latest, then would just spin the wheel non-stop. It never even asked for the 000000 passcode to authenticate the connection.

Fearing I had bricked it, I plugged it back into the PC and everything appeared fine. Unplugged, tested gear shifting, everything was fine. Tried to pair with iPhone, failed again. The decided to power on the Wahoo Roam...it sensed it and I paired it. Used the Wahoo app to add the Gear page. But I couldn't enable D-Fly yet because I couldn't connect via the phone. I'll try again tomorrow via the PC, otherwise I'm just going to ride to my local Giant shop where I bought the TCR and they'll do it for me.

I am a beta tester for Apple's new iOS 13...so the problem may lie in the beta iOS screwing up the E-Tube app (which was last updated a couple of months ago). This beta iOS has bricked one or two other apps I use, although the majority of them work just fine.
You probably did not brick it. For whatever reason, e-tube app on my phone couldn't connect to the wireless unit in March. Then I tried again with the app on my i-pad it did and I've been using iPad to connect since then.
Old 09-06-19, 07:22 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
It's not you or iOS' fault - the e-Tube apps tend to fail during firmware updates. Just have a look at the reviews for the Android or iOS versions. There's loads of people complaining about this. The apps are just not very good. I tried using my wife's iPad mini this morning and on that device the app doesn't even get past the splash screen.

When I first got my Wireless Unit it also crashed at least five times until I finally managed to update the firmware on the EW-WU111.
What seems to help is to update every component's firmware using the SM-BCR2 charger (and windows e-Tube app). That should decrease the chances of the mobile app crashing. You can then use the mobile app to update the EW-WU111. And if it does crash apply the same fix as you did before, or have a look at https://di2center.com/2019/02/09/how...rmware-update/ (disclaimer: my site ).

Last edited by TerryDi2C; 09-06-19 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Added iPad mini bit
Old 09-06-19, 08:16 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by TerryDi2C
It's not you or iOS' fault - the e-Tube apps tend to fail during firmware updates. Just have a look at the reviews for the Android or iOS versions. There's loads of people complaining about this. The apps are just not very good. I tried using my wife's iPad mini this morning and on that device the app doesn't even get past the splash screen.

When I first got my Wireless Unit it also crashed at least five times until I finally managed to update the firmware on the EW-WU111.
What seems to help is to update every component's firmware using the SM-BCR2 charger (and windows e-Tube app). That should decrease the chances of the mobile app crashing. You can then use the mobile app to update the EW-WU111. And if it does crash apply the same fix as you did before, or have a look at https://di2center.com/2019/02/09/how...rmware-update/ (disclaimer: my site ).
It is the nature of how firmware updates have-to-work. The problem is the wireless unit itself and its updates IME.

What happens? I'm guessing...

1) You connect wirelessly to Di2
2) You D/L an update.
3) The Di2 system applies the update...but to finish the update, like in Windows it must reboot the updated component
4) The wireless app (and the D-Fly) looses connection during the reboot, because well--the connection hard-hangs up.

Which means that E-Tube and D-Fly cannot handshake-check that the update worked...so they thought vomit at one another. E-tube errors out, and Di2 soft-bricks to protect itself thinking something went wrong.
Old 09-06-19, 08:25 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
It is the nature of how firmware updates have-to-work. The problem is the wireless unit itself and its updates IME.

What happens? I'm guessing...

1) You connect wirelessly to Di2
2) You D/L an update.
3) The Di2 system applies the update...but to finish the update, like in Windows it must reboot the updated component
4) The wireless app (and the D-Fly) looses connection during the reboot, because well--the connection hard-hangs up.

Which means that E-Tube and D-Fly cannot handshake-check that the update worked...so they thought vomit at one another. E-tube errors out, and Di2 soft-bricks to protect itself thinking something went wrong.
Yeah, probably. Would be nice if they warned you this can happen before installing the new firmware though.
I have no problems with the rest of the apps, they are pretty nice, if a bit confusing at times.
Old 09-06-19, 09:03 AM
CarloM

The problem is clearly the app on my iOS beta (not sure if the fault is in the app or the beta). The WU111 unit clearly works, my Roam senses and connects with it. I just double checked on the PC E Tube program and it works and has the most up-to-date firmware. And most importantly, I see on the web that if I had "bricked" it, it would have bricked the bike. Everything works and shifts perfectly. The iPhone app meanwhile, spins in that stupid gear circle endlessly. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled it, gone through the tutorial, and it says "firmware detected" then downloaded then spinning circle. But I haven't even turned on the pairing yet on my Di2 junction box! So this "firmware" it's sensing...is it for the app? Who knows, but the app is broken af for me on beta iOS13.1

Update: I just used the update sensors on my Wahoo App and configured the gearing (52-36 and 11-28T) and suddenly now D-Fly 1 and 2 are also working. So now I have all gear info on my Roam, as well as being able to cycle through pages by clicking on the top buttons of my shifters.

It is clearly the iPhone app that is the problem (or the beta iOS).
Old 09-06-19, 10:09 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
there is no new features on the etube app, everything it does the PC version does too
Old 09-06-19, 10:12 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
there is no new features on the etube app, everything it does the PC version does too
I understand this, it would just be nice to get access to those features and make changes while I'm not near a PC. Also being able to connect to E-Tube Ride would be nice, in case I'm on a long ride and have forgotten to charge my Wahoo fully, if that dies I can switch over to E-Tube Ride and get most of the vital stats. Right now neither iPhone app is connecting to the Di2 via BT...
Old 09-06-19, 10:43 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
It's kinda hoakey on my Pixel 3 also. ET Project sits and spins trying to connect, then says it failed to connect. Immediately after it says it connected to an unlisted device, and from there on seems to work properly. ET Ride can't connect at all. Even after Project has connected and the device is listed among connected devices under the system bluetooth settings... My guess is Google added some permission for enumerating BT devices at some point, and the E-Tube apps aren't configured to request it, so are unable to find the WU.
Old 09-06-19, 10:51 AM
CarloM

Originally Posted by sfrider
It's kinda hoakey on my Pixel 3 also. ET Project sits and spins trying to connect, then says it failed to connect. Immediately after it says it connected to an unlisted device, and from there on seems to work properly. ET Ride can't connect at all. Even after Project has connected and the device is listed among connected devices under the system bluetooth settings... My guess is Google added some permission for enumerating BT devices at some point, and the E-Tube apps aren't configured to request it, so are unable to find the WU.
About how long did you let ET Proj spin before it told you it failed? I let it spin seemingly for over a minute (I didn't time, because my timer is on my phone ) and it seemed to just be stuck at that level until I killed the app manually. I never got to a failed screen.
Old 09-06-19, 12:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by sfrider
Are you on Android Q/10? Lots of breakage...Google took Q Beta 6 and made it public--if you look at the build dates/numbers.
Old 09-06-19, 03:04 PM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

The e-Tube RIDE app will only connect to a STEPS (city/urban) e-bike, I have never managed to get it working with a road Di2 bike.
(feel free to prove me wrong though)

It works fine on my Pixel 3 sfrider. I am currently on Android 9 though..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.