Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Walmart Bikes!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Walmart Bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 06:47 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Walmart Bikes!

I saw an article about Walmart selling a $6000 mountain bike and I was like, "What!". https://gearjunkie.com/viathon-walma...in-bike-review

It seems they won't actually be selling them in their stores or servicing them or anything like that. So Viathon is more like another online seller than actually a Walmart brand. I guess maybe it is something between Bikes Direct and Canyon or maybe just analogous to Canyon.

Anyway, it looks like they actually have a gravel bike with rack and fender mounts that would be pretty close to ideal for some folks ideas of what they'd like to tour on. Note, that I am not suggesting that it is a standard fully loaded touring bike or anything, but I could see myself with something along those lines even as an only bike, possibly with two sets of wheels given that I tour pretty light (not that I ever plan to have only one bike). It would be pretty versatile for on and off road even managing some single track.

I think I'd actually consider the 105 or Ultegra Gravel model at $1998 and $2898 respectively. The 105 sounds like a pretty good bang for the buck to me. I am almost tempted to order one, but they are out of stock on the 105 any way. https://www.viathonbicycles.com/coll...roducts/g1-105

There is concern of support by a LBS, but I have really never heard on any LBS here turning away bikes ordered online. My friends with bikes from Bikes Direct have had them set up and or serviced in shops without issue. Personally I have only ever hard a bike shop work on any of my bikes when I was on the road and didn't have the tools required. I do try to support the local shops by buying parts and supplies where they stock brands and models I like and don't gouge too badly. I don't mind paying extra, but won't buy stuff I don't like or over pay beyond a certain point (I tend to balk at the price when something costs 4x what I can order it shipped next day for).

Would you take a chance on a Viathon?

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-15-19 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-22-19, 09:07 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Done several tours on a Walmart Schwinn Sidewinder including two nearly 2,000 milers. Never a problem with the bike itself... Just the ordinary occasional flat, one loose screw from the rack I put on.

With the chinese tariffs going up, it goes for $199 now.
Old 09-23-19, 04:39 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
My last bike from Walmart was a 1989 Murray.
Old 09-23-19, 09:31 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I just saw a $630.83 price on Wal Mart site for a Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Tech III Fold Bike Tire, Black, 700x23c.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Vittori...RD5RDUEZEQ5BFL

I sure do hope that the price is a misprint. LOL VBEG ;<)

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man: