Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Awesome little disc brake gap tool.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 09:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts

So I saw this the other day and thought for $8, I'd give it a try. While I've not had issue with the gap in my brakes, sometimes I felt like I was not always getting centered. With this tool.....no issue.
Just pop it on, squeeze the brakes a couple of times, tighten the bolts, perfectly centered each time.

Old 12-12-15, 02:31 PM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
so it's tool to ensure your brakes *aren't* centered? Don't think I need to pay for that...
Old 12-12-15, 03:41 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Perfectly centered on what?
Old 12-12-15, 03:56 PM
jetta_mike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Perfectly centered on what?
I'd wager the rotor.
Old 12-12-15, 04:09 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
So I saw this the other day and thought for $8, I'd give it a try. While I've not had issue with the gap in my brakes, sometimes I felt like I was not always getting centered. With this tool.....no issue.
Just pop it on, squeeze the brakes a couple of times, tighten the bolts, perfectly centered each time.

It's not clear that this tool helps centering any better than doing the same procedure without the shims. It just creates a small gap between the pads and disc. As soon as you squeeze the brake lever the gap will go away.

Unless I'm missing something normally hydraulic discs don't have a gap between the pads and disc. At least they don't in a vehicle. Are they different somehow on a bike?
Old 12-12-15, 04:20 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jetta_mike
I'd wager the rotor.
You don't need a specific tool to do this.
Old 12-12-15, 04:48 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
It's not clear that this tool helps centering any better than doing the same procedure without the shims. It just creates a small gap between the pads and disc. As soon as you squeeze the brake lever the gap will go away.

Unless I'm missing something normally hydraulic discs don't have a gap between the pads and disc. At least they don't in a vehicle. Are they different somehow on a bike?
Yes, bicycle brakes are different. On even a modest car, you have over 100hp behind the engine, and the dragging brakes means nothing significant (fractions of a horsepower?)...most people, on the other hand, would have trouble generating even 1 horsepower, ergo, rubbing brakes are bad. You should get no rubbing under normal conditions.

The tool, as far as I know, was originally designed for mechanical brakes, which would make sense, since business cards are compressible. It doesn't really do much for a properly operating hydraulic brake. If bolts are walking the caliper, drop some oil on top of the washer beneath the mounting bolts' heads.
Old 12-12-15, 05:21 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i think my shimano xt brake came with something similar. two plastic spacers to keep the pistons from coming completely out of the caliper when there were no brake pads present, and another, narrower, set to establish a gap when installing new pads.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-12-15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 05:56 PM
gregf83 

Originally Posted by wschruba
Yes, bicycle brakes are different. On even a modest car, you have over 100hp behind the engine, and the dragging brakes means nothing significant (fractions of a horsepower?)...most people, on the other hand, would have trouble generating even 1 horsepower, ergo, rubbing brakes are bad. You should get no rubbing under normal conditions.
OK, I did a little research and the XTR brakes I have include a return spring to help retract the pads a little when pressure is released which is different than automotive brakes.
Old 12-12-15, 06:45 PM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
OK, I did a little research and the XTR brakes I have include a return spring to help retract the pads a little when pressure is released which is different than automotive brakes.
Close, but not exactly; The spring is to keep the pads flush on the pistons, any retraction is handled by the reflex action of the square-edge seal in the piston bore. On actuation, the seal deforms in a roughly trapezoidal form, and when the lever is released, it relaxes back to it's original shape, pulling the pistons with it. If the pads are worn, the piston will slip through the deformed seal, allowing the system to self-adjust (in one direction only!). Closed systems work differently, of course, but they are all but gone in the bicycle world.

In other words, the spring keeps the pads from clattering, but it doesn't retract them. The clattering has little effect on power loss, but would drive most people insane, since they are very much audible (see, people noticing the pads clanging on the slide when they apply the brakes, rocking the bike backwards/forwards).
Old 12-12-15, 06:48 PM
gregf83 

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.
Old 12-13-15, 05:33 PM
CrippledKonaBoy
Banned.

Bikes: The Kona

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a business card; works every time.
Old 12-14-15, 01:39 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
at least it's cheaper than the Hayes tool https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...41&category=25 although it lacks the cool purple anodizing
Old 12-14-15, 01:44 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I don't need it for my BB7's. When setting up, just loosen the brake some. Squeeze the brakes, they are now centered and tighten the bolts. Adjust pads as needed.
Old 12-15-15, 05:54 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CrippledKonaBoy
Exactly; same for setting toe-in for calipers...
Old 12-15-15, 06:35 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by CrippledKonaBoy
Same for me - and they're cheap (amazing that folks just give them away).
Old 12-17-15, 11:05 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I used this guy's method when setting up my BB7's: adjust both pads all the way out, loosen rotor bolts, turn inboard adjustment one full turn, then the outboard adjustment all the way in until the wheel is locked. Tighten rotor bolts. Adjust outboard pad out until wheel turns freely. Adjust inboard pad by 2-3 clicks outward. Make any additional adjustments necessary to ensure the pads don't rub the rotor at any point, and to achieve desired lever travel.

Took me a couple of times to get it right initially, but after that it was pretty easy. This method also ensures that the pads are square to the rotor. Not sure if that tool will do that.