Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Old 08-08-17, 10:58 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Aonex
Hi all, really interested in this bike... how does it fit? I currently have a 54cm Surly Cross-Check (I'm 5'9") and the top tube is simply too long. I can't comfortably ride on the hoods. Would you guys recommend going for the 54 since the effective top tube length is shorter... or should I go all the way down to the 51? I know I'll have to find a dealer to get an actual fitting, but just doing some advanced research. Thanks.
I am also 5'9" and ended up going with a 51. It was more of a matter of standover height. The top tube was right up against my crotch on the 54 so the bike shop recommended a 51. I talked to Jamis and they said the same thing...
Old 08-08-17, 02:41 PM
Aonex

Bikes: Topstone Lefty, Defy, FR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ha, okay thanks. Yeah my Surly has an even taller standover height so I'm guessing the 54 will be fine in that regard. That effective top tube on the 54 though worries me, since it's 55cm, close to the 56 on the Surly.
Old 08-10-17, 12:46 PM
Aonex

Bikes: Topstone Lefty, Defy, FR5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Would you guys happen to know if Jamis is coming out with the 2018 models soon? Trying to decide if I should wait for them to come out... for either a better deal on the 2017 models or different color options on the 2018.
Old 08-10-17, 02:54 PM
Jim53

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm considering the Renegade Exploit. The Specialized Sequoia Elite appears to be a close cousin. Anyone test-ridden these two back-to-back? Any other thoughts?
Old 08-10-17, 07:18 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
They’re both pretty straightforward steel gravel bikes. Can’t think of anything remarkable. Other than I’d rather give my money to a good company. I.E. anyone other than specialized.
Old 08-10-17, 08:31 PM
Donsell

Bikes: Jamis Renegade Exploit, Scott Sportster 55

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aonex
Would you guys happen to know if Jamis is coming out with the 2018 models soon? Trying to decide if I should wait for them to come out... for either a better deal on the 2017 models or different color options on the 2018.
I bought an Exploit on Monday and asked the dealer the same question. He called and found out they're in production but didn't expect the new model to be available until October. He didn't ask when they'd release information on them because I'd already decided to buy the 2017 model.
Old 08-11-17, 04:11 AM
ATPAH

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim53
I'm considering the Renegade Exploit. The Specialized Sequoia Elite appears to be a close cousin. Anyone test-ridden these two back-to-back? Any other thoughts?
I haven't gotten on the steel Renegade, so I don't have a fair comparison. I did get the Renegade Elite out on some trails and liked the general setup and handling, in addition to the extra snappiness of the high-end carbon frame, build kit, and wheels. The Sequoia was nice, but a bit sluggish, even in comparison to other mid-level cyclocross bikes. My LBS is going to set me up to test ride it with another wheelset next week, so I'll have a better perspective then, but that will make it more expensive than the Jamis. The trade-off will be some additional tire clearance, but I'm not sure how much that is worth to me with a 29er hardtail in the stable.
Old 08-11-17, 07:50 AM
Donsell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally couldn't get as comfortable on the Sequoia as I am on the Exploit. Their geometries are different. But fit is a personal thing so if you want a steel bike in this price range the one that fits best is the one for you.
Old 08-28-17, 07:57 AM
ATPAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, after test riding a couple Cannondales and Specialized, I jumped on my buddy's Renegade Elite on some singletrack again. He certainly doesn't ride it for all it's worth, and he might have gotten squeamish if he saw how hard I pushed it when I took it out for 5 minutes yesterday, but it's a ripper - super-precise and balanced. After our ride, I headed by his LBS, which I've visited before, and they had a Expert in my size with a paint issue that they were offering super cheap, so once they get it setup tubeless, I'll be next member of Team Renegade.
Likes For ATPAH:
Old 08-28-17, 08:18 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by ATPAH
So, after test riding a couple Cannondales and Specialized, I jumped on my buddy's Renegade Elite on some singletrack again. He certainly doesn't ride it for all it's worth, and he might have gotten squeamish if he saw how hard I pushed it when I took it out for 5 minutes yesterday, but it's a ripper - super-precise and balanced. After our ride, I headed by his LBS, which I've visited before, and they had a Expert in my size with a paint issue that they were offering super cheap, so once they get it setup tubeless, I'll be next member of Team Renegade.
YAY! Welcome aboard.
Old 08-28-17, 03:39 PM
Explosive

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been messaging jamis regarding renegades I'll see if anymore info comes from them all I got so far is expect Late fall for 18 models. Currently on boat from Asia but delays are common
Old 08-29-17, 09:43 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
I just got a 2017 Renegade Exploit. First ride on it was today. Absolutely beautiful ride. Gorgeous steel, super stiff carbon fork, super comfy geometry. A few pics here.

Last edited by scotch; 08-29-17 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-30-17, 11:53 AM
Caliwild

Scotch, nice bike!

Not sure if this is a thread hijack question or not, but I thought the other Renegade owners might like to know too... Which pedals would you recommend for this bike? I'm coming from road bikes (use SPD-SL) so thinking maybe XTR or XTR Trail? Thanks.
Old 08-30-17, 01:37 PM
DanPLC

Bikes: Trek Crossrip 3 2018, Trek FX 7.4 2016

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Scotch, nice bike!

Not sure if this is a thread hijack question or not, but I thought the other Renegade owners might like to know too... Which pedals would you recommend for this bike? I'm coming from road bikes (use SPD-SL) so thinking maybe XTR or XTR Trail? Thanks.

If you're going to use the bike off-road where you have to get off the bike, I would think MTB style clipless pedals would be better. But if you like the road style pedals and plan to stay mostly on the road, then stick with those.

I wouldn't think this is the best place to discuss the specific brand/model of pedal to get in a particular style. But personally I use Shimano Deore XT PD-M8020 pedals on my Trek FX and plan to use them on my next bike (which may be the Jamis Renegade Exploit).
Old 08-30-17, 06:56 PM
Donsell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Shimano Deore XT PD-M8020 pedals on my Exploit as well. They're a great pedal.
Old 08-30-17, 07:18 PM
twodownzero

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ribble Nero Corsa, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Cannondale MT800, Evil Insurgent

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hydro brakes are a huge upgrade. My lady friend is riding the Sequoia and has no regrets. Hers is a 50 cm. Normally I ride a 50 cm in conventional road geometry but I think I'd be a 52 in the Sequoia; it seems small.
Old 08-30-17, 09:37 PM
Caliwild

Thanks, guys. Went with the XT pedals as recommended...
Old 08-31-17, 06:20 AM
ATPAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Thanks, guys. Went with the XT pedals as recommended...
Good call. I'll be putting the same pedals on mine. Actually, they're the 747s, which later were marketed as XTs, but which are still going strong after 16 years of rather abusive mountain biking use.
Old 08-31-17, 09:48 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by ATPAH
Good call. I'll be putting the same pedals on mine. Actually, they're the 747s, which later were marketed as XTs, but which are still going strong after 16 years of rather abusive mountain biking use.
Shimano pedals are always bomb-proof... plus, I didn't see the point of the extra cash for the XTRs...
Old 09-09-17, 05:09 AM
ATPAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just picked-up my Renegade yesterday. It's a leftover 2016 Expert that I got a killer deal on. Followed two buddies, also on Renegades around some Cape Cod trails, primarily singletrack with some washouts to navigate. The 40c Nanos were a great fit for this kind of riding, and the bike feels incredibly planted and nimble. I love how it responds to pedaling. immediately jumping forward, even when I was drifting downhill and sideways toward a tree. I'm sure that enormous bottom bracket has a lot to do with this. I love this bike already.
Old 09-09-17, 06:11 PM
Donsell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Exploit now for a month. I took her on her first metric century this morning. I love how comfortable this bike is. My legs give out before my butt.

Now I need to get in the type of shape the bike deserves.
Old 09-09-17, 11:56 PM
vwsswv

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up a Renegade Expat yesterday. I'm new to this and couldn't really tell the difference between the Expat and Exploit on my test ride. While checking the specs, I saw that the Expat was updated today on the Jamis website. Fortunately, the only change was the paint on the Expat. We will see what changes are in store for the other models in the Renegade series, but the new models are supposed to be arriving in October.
Old 09-10-17, 09:32 AM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by vwsswv
I picked up a Renegade Expat yesterday. I'm new to this and couldn't really tell the difference between the Expat and Exploit on my test ride. While checking the specs, I saw that the Expat was updated today on the Jamis website. Fortunately, the only change was the paint on the Expat. We will see what changes are in store for the other models in the Renegade series, but the new models are supposed to be arriving in October.
Different group set, no? Tiagra vs 105? Either way, congrats. I love my Exploit.
Old 09-10-17, 03:28 PM
ATPAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Donsell
Now I need to get in the type of shape the bike deserves.
Yep. Welcome to the club of outbiked Renegade owners.
Old 09-10-17, 04:23 PM
ATPAH

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I continue to love this bike, but I'm definitely getting a 36-11t cassette for it. I had enough legs today to get over everything, but I was reaching for an easier gear on some of the singletrack climbs. I'd like to do some harder climbs, and for that, I'll need another gear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.