Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Track Frame Fit

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Track Frame Fit

Old 04-17-18, 03:59 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,346 Times in 703 Posts
Track Frame Fit

My son wants a track frame to be used at the velodrome in Seattle. Is the fit any different than his road bike? What considerations should the frame builder be aware of? Does anyone here have a recommendation of a framebuilder for a track frame?
Old 04-17-18, 08:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
One possible way to find a local builder with track knowledge is to go to the track and make friends then ask them. How old is your son? Is he still growing? I wonder if the track has a beginner program. I wonder if the track has loaner bikes. Andy
Old 04-17-18, 08:58 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My son wants a track frame to be used at the velodrome in Seattle.
Hi,
How tall is he? I happen to have stumbled across a few size 46cm recently. latest project

There are some design constraints that I wish hadn't been in place (eg 700c vs 650a wheels), but I think initial response has been pretty positive(n=1). Happy to chat about what I learned through this project.

PS - they should be back from paint in the next day or two.
Old 04-17-18, 09:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4153 Post(s)
Liked 3,751 Times in 2,245 Posts
Originally Posted by duanedr
Hi,
How tall is he? I happen to have stumbled across a few size 46cm recently. latest project

There are some design constraints that I wish hadn't been in place (eg 700c vs 650a wheels), but I think initial response has been pretty positive(n=1). Happy to chat about what I learned through this project.

PS - they should be back from paint in the next day or two.

Sorry to not have mentioned you but I forgot where you are located. It's funny how you are involved with pretty much what I mentioned though.

Ti- I think you have your answer. Andy
Old 04-18-18, 06:13 AM
Jmclay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
My son wants a track frame to be used at the velodrome in Seattle. Is the fit any different than his road bike? What considerations should the frame builder be aware of? Does anyone here have a recommendation of a framebuilder for a track frame?
My best advice would be to discuss it with the folks (not the newbies) who ride track at the VD in Seattle. Surely the old-hands have the info you seek and they might know of a framebuilder who's done track frames.

Richard Sachs though his waiting list is long; he might recommend someone with a shorter list. Bill Davidson (Seattle I think); he's been around the block. Mark Bulgier (also Seattle). Not sure if he builds commercially but he's another one who could direct you.

Aside from that I'm guessing that your son is a track beginner. I think a good used bike would be the way to start. Once he's settled into track riding and his position/likes/dislikes have matured a little...then a custom track frame would be most likely to be what he actually wants/needs/benefits from.
Old 04-18-18, 06:38 AM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Marymoor does indeed have loaner bikes, and a very good beginner program. Check their facebook page and contact Amara Edwards for more info.

As to frame design, yes, there are considerations for track frames that are different from standard road, but that doesn't stop many people from converting road frames to race on the track. For local builders, yes, there are many (myself included) that could do a custom job for you. There are also several production frames that would suit as well. I might steer you towards one of the production models from State or All-City as a first go, before going the custom route.
Old 04-18-18, 03:50 PM
TiHabanero

The "boy" is 25 and has the same problem I have with bikes. He likes them and has started a collection of machines that he rides. Rides a 58cm Cdale Caad10. The track has loaner bikes and he fell in love with the intensity of the experience last week. I told him to look on Craigslist out there as one will come up sooner or later, but he really wants to go with a custom frame unless a used one is top shelf for a big guy (200lbs).

I take it fit is the same as road fit. Nothing different about a track bike to be considered in the fit of it?

I offered to build a frame for him, but he is still waiting for the road frame I started this winter!! Too many projects, not enough time.
Old 04-18-18, 04:05 PM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Aside from the frame design considerations, if he isn't already well settled into a track-specific position, then duplicating his road position in the drops isn't the worst thing he could do. If I were making the frame for him, and he doesn't have his specific track fit dialed, I'd start from there, and give some room for the position to rotate forward (about the BB -- so a little steeper in the STA, and some room to drop the bar position). Just my own experience/opinion.
Old 04-18-18, 04:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Match Sprint or Pursuit ?
Old 04-18-18, 04:49 PM
TiHabanero

I don't know what discipline he is most interested in, however a bike fit that would encompass both with room to adjust one way or the other would be most logical. David, seems you have ridden track. My thought was road fit in the drops, too, but perhaps this should be left for the builder, which is why he needs someone with track bike experience out there.
I will advise and have him do the research on builders.
Old 04-18-18, 04:51 PM
TiHabanero

I feel I need to add this kid is type A all the way. Headfirst into anything he does, and usually he is successful. His first car was a Mercedes, nothing else would do. He learned that one must be able to afford a Mercedes before one buys a Mercedes. Needless to say he is a Toyota man now.
Old 04-19-18, 04:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,643 Times in 2,485 Posts
we all have an optimum hip angle, and for most of us it's a bit tighter than we feel comfortable with for long periods on a road bike. But most track disciplines feature efforts that are short enough that we can tolerate a lower position. It's worth working through that on a trainer. And some core work will make a lower position more comfortable for most people.

Of course, the slammed stem style that is still current means that most people are not comfortable riding in the drops, so maybe that is where track bikes need to be anyway.
Old 04-20-18, 07:50 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 87 Posts
I feel I need to add this kid is ...... His first car was
Ah, so he doesn't need an especially small bike. Many (most?) of the fast guys (pro/1/2's) are racing on production bikes.
Old 04-23-18, 03:11 PM
TiHabanero

It is likely a production frame will fit, very few people out there that a production frame won't fit. I will need to convince him that it is a smarter way to go at this point.