Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Any cable disc users have compressionless brake housing?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-19, 07:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts

Curious if you've used regular housing on the same brakes and what difference, if any, is noticed.
Is it worth $30 or is the regular housing I have in bulk good enough?
Old 09-04-19, 07:43 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I went from Jagwire "nearly compressionless" (I think CGX?) to Alligator I-Link (similar to Jagwire Elite Link) with TRP HY/RD calipers, and it did make a noticeable difference. It wasn't like "omigod, I have new brakes!" but modulation and required pull force was better. If anything, also looks neat.
Old 09-04-19, 08:01 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
I've converted couple different OEM sets and also a set of TRP Spyres. Compressionless housing is a big improvement IME. You get more braking power with less lever travel so you can have the pads a little closer and there's a bigger wear window before you have to adjust pad travel. Maximum braking power is also increased in the sense that you get more with less hand strength, if that makes sense.

I'll never use anything other than Jagwire KEB-SL or equivalent. Nashbar used to specify their own type of KEB-SL and it was amazing (and only $12!) but sadly out of production for a couple years now.

Also, you'll most likely find this out on your own but just to add - having good ferrules with steel washer contact point and a good 90° cut on the housing is best practice as the force on the ends of the housing are stronger and more pointed than spiral housing. I've had the reinforcement wires push through aluminum ferrules after a few thousand braking cycles. They then squeeze the cable and you get sluggish return and eventually zero return while also losing braking power - not good.
Old 09-04-19, 08:46 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Housing compression can make the brake response spongier, and slightly reduce your power. It's not very noticeable if your brakes are super weak and spongy to begin with, but if you've got a setup that's capable of being good, it becomes relevant.

At the very least, use a low-compression housing like CGX-SL rather than the really cheap stuff. And it would be a weird place to cheap out; getting great brakes but pairing them with poor housing is a wasteful mix.
Old 09-04-19, 08:48 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Thanks all- I'll pay up and try it out.

As for great brakes...not sure if that's what I have. They are the flatmount juintech- took that risk(saying that since there is such limited info compared to hyrd, spare, and full hydro) so I hope they end up being forgettable, which is actually quite complimentary.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 09-04-19 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 01:49 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Thanks all- I'll pay up and try it out.

As for great brakes...not sure if that's what I have. They are the flatmount juintech- took that risk(saying that since there is such limited info compared to hyrd, spare, and full hydro) so I hope they end up being forgettable, which is actually quite complimentary.
Have the JuinTech R1 with Jagwire compressionless housing. Pretty good in my view. Would like to try the new 4pot JuinTech sometime.

Played around with a few different pads and rotors; there's good and not so good out there to get best performance.
Old 09-10-19, 09:13 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Very similar experience to others here. I have TRP Spyre brakes and used them with regular housing. I found that the brakes felt 'spongy' and particularly on long gravel descents my tiny lady hands ended very tired. I decided to switch to Jagwire compressionless and the brakes now feel firm and efficient, not spongy at all. I'd recommend upgrading.