Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Training Program Idea

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Training Program Idea

Old 05-04-03, 03:31 PM
ZackJones
On Your Right

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Training Program Idea

Greetings,

I've been reading a couple of different books that have windtrainer workouts listed in them. Some of the workouts are pretty specfic, such as start with 42x17 at 60 rpm for 1 minute and then increase to 65 the next minute, etc. I have been trying to figure out a way to do these workouts and came up with an idea I wanted to run by you folks to see if there's any interest in it.

Basically what I'm thinking about is a program that would display all of this information on your computer. There would be a couple of different timers on the screen. One would show total workout time, perhaps one for time remaining and one that shows time remaining for current segment. It would also show you the current gear you should be in and current cadence to use.

You'd be able to create your own workouts and save them to disk as well as load programs from disk.

My questions are:

Is anyone other than me interested in something like ths?

Do you have your trainer near your computer so you'd be able to use something like this?

Would you like to see something like this running on a PDA?

Should I write this program and give it away or try to sell it as shareware? If I try to sell it what would you be willing to pay for a copy?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Zack
Old 05-04-03, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I don't have a wind trainer, so I don't have an opinion either way.

However, if you decide to do this, DEFINITELY you should try and sell it...

In your situation, I'd make the product, secure a patent and a trademark, set up a corporation, then try to either sell it yourself or sell it to another organization out there that would be interested in mass marketing/mass production.

If you want to see how it goes, you can always create a beta version to test out on us forum folks once you've taken sufficient steps to protect your work product. That can be for free, then when you work out the bugs, sell it.

Just a thought.

Koffee

Old 05-05-03, 08:12 AM
japple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Zack,
Ok, I'm technologically challenged, but your idea sounds INCREDIBLY cool. Keeping up with such detailed information like cadence, gears, and time would allow for more efficient training. Especially when it comes to sprints, and recovery training. Perhaps Heart rate could be another variable to keep track of.......

Though, it would be an effective way to train, I probably wouldn't be willing to pay more than 100 bucks. Most of my training is done outdoors on the road, so I wouldn't be able to use it too much.

Good idea, Good luck!!

Jay
Old 05-05-03, 05:46 PM
R600DuraAce

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have to know what are you training for. Different goal, different training. I basically stop using my trainer because I can ride outside now.
Old 05-05-03, 05:55 PM
fubar5
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sent you a PM Zack.
Old 12-09-04, 11:23 AM
bridgestone_200

Bikes: bridgestone, jamis, lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
built something similar for myself... found it useful.
Old 12-20-04, 03:02 AM
fliprider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could probably do this with powerpoint, using the page timing and transition settings.