Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best touring wheel for a road bike - Need help !

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 01:26 AM
Guy Yinon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning to build (or asking someone else to build me) a tough wheel
I would like to know if building it upon ultgera hubs with double spokes and a good rim will do the work. Since I'm going to ride for 500 KM fully loaded (Maybe I should get a trailer ?) - What are the options for a rear spacing of 130 mm ? The frame is an old Koga Miyata Prologue .
What is the best combination for the woke ? (Rim -> Spokes -> Hub)
Old 01-28-05, 09:35 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll assume the hubs you have are at least 36 hole?
Rims ,I like either the Sun CR18 Tandem rims or the mavic T520 .Sun Rhyno lites are suppose to be good but I haven't used them in 700c size.
I use straight 14 gauge DT or Wheelsmith spokes.

if you got a few bucks in your pocket and want to have someone else build your wheels Peter White in New Hamphire USA is a well regarded wheel builder and knows touring bike wheels better than most. www.peterwhitecycles.com I think is his web address if not just search for "peter white"
Old 01-29-05, 11:53 AM
drcrash

Bikes: Atlantis, Bleriot, Waterford,Steamroller, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like 36h Sun CR18 rims and either LX or XT hubs. I use 14g spokes (Sapim... because of price). I also have a set of wheels built up with Alex Adventurer rims on LX hubs with 14g spokes that have been trouble free.
Old 01-29-05, 05:27 PM
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd say Velonomad knows what's important. You won't go wrong with Peter White. I believe he offers a lifetime guarantee on the trueness of his wheels.

I've got some bulletproof 40-spoke wheels with Phil hubs made by the famed Joe Young. www.youngwheels. I've travelled all over US and Europe. It cost a ton (well $500 or so), but it's comforting to know that I can bequeath my wheels to my grandkids.