Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Adult tricycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 09:25 PM
Taxqueen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adult tricycles

I need some help finding the right tricycle for my height.
I am a 57 year old cancer survivor, 4'10" tall, weight is 135 lbs.
I never learned how to ride a bicycle, so I am in the market for a tricycle. I am undecided in the size of the tricycle either 24" or 26". I don't know which one will be better for my size. The inseam of my legs is 25" I think that will make a difference.
The goal is to ride it around the neighborhood, maybe by the park etc.
Should I get a one speed or a seven speed?
I have looked at the Kent alameda and Kent Monterey, I think they are good value.
I would like a frame that is not flimsy, any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-11-17, 01:24 AM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Welcome Taxqueen and congrats on surviving cancer. I have no real info for you, but I think more gears are better.

Maybe try looking in the "Recumbent" section here as some of those bikes are trikes, and nice too!
Old 07-11-17, 03:29 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Hello TaxQueen. I don't know anything about adult tricycles but if a brand makes two sizes, we can assume, small and large. Since you are on the smaller size, my guess you would need the smaller size. The seven speed would be the preferred model.

Hopefully someone with more information on the bikes you chose will chime in.
Old 07-11-17, 04:41 AM
zeeway

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
You need to visit a bike shop and ride in their parking lot. Whatever feels comfortable to you in a trike is the correct size.
Likes For zeeway:
Old 07-11-17, 05:15 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
I would strongly suggest that you make a trip to a recumbent specialty store. A bike shop that has a couple of recumbents on the floor isn't good enough.

Recumbent tricycles are a rapidly improving technology. I think that most people would find them to be much more comfortable, much more efficient and much more fun than the upright trike that you are probably thinking about.
Old 07-11-17, 06:09 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I too suggest a trike speciality shop. Be aware that most trikes have different length booms, or at least adjust to people of most any height. A good trike store should be able to fix you up quickly.

Congratulations on beating cancer.
Old 07-11-17, 10:58 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 183 Posts
Both of the trikes you mention are sold by WalMart but the Monterey is "out of stock". That's too bad because if those are your only choices, the Monterey is definitely way better. Not only does it have 7 gears to choose from but it weights 15 pounds less. Walmart claims the assembled weight of the Alameda is 55 pounds and 40 pounds for the Monterey. Pushing around a 55 pound trike with only one gear choice is not my cup of tea. That doesn't sound like much fun even for just tooling around the neighborhood. That's especially true given your petite size.
Old 07-11-17, 11:40 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
No mention of recumbent trikes by the OP.
Old 07-11-17, 12:37 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
No mention of recumbent trikes by the OP.
No, and the price of even a used recumbent trike might make her swallow her teeth if she's expecting Wally-World prices. But the usability and fun factor would be infinitely better than a TOS (trike-shaped object) at WW. Even 7 speeds is pretty inadequate for all but the flattest trails.

A Catrike Pocket is made for shorter riders; or an older Road or Speed might work too (booms can be cut down to accommodate shorter legs.)
Old 05-13-19, 12:54 AM
condor1947

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might I suggest a 3speed or 5speed internal hub for the trike. With either one, you can shift gears while standing still, which you cannot do on a derailleur hub such as those used on 2wheel bikes. The Schwinn Meridian and Miami Sun Traditional upright trikes in particular can use an add-on hub; Sturmey Archer is the longest-running internal geared hub manufacturer.
Old 05-13-19, 02:03 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by condor1947
Sturmey Archer is the longest-running internal geared hub manufacturer.
I feel I should just point out that, while the Sturmey Archer name has been around since 1902, the original Nottingham company fell victim to asset strippers a few years ago. The Sun Race company of Taiwan now owns the brand and manufactures the gears. I can't make any comment as to whether that's good or bad, just saying it really isn't the same company.
Old 05-13-19, 07:08 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Our LBS, before it went out of business, carried TerraTrikes. They are recumbent bicycles with 2 wheels in the front. They were popular with people who had balance issues. One local couple, she was very overweight, bought a tandem one and rode across the country.
Not sure of your budget but they might be a good option.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 05-13-19, 07:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Generally, adult trikes , unlike bicycles are not made in many sizes..

want a typical Park trike? work with your bike shop on adapting it to fit ..

Q: you over 6 feet,/ 2M tall?

Recumbents , like chairs, the seat is at the same height*, but leg length is an adjustment ..

*of same model ... yes there are low seat tadpoles & higher seat deltas.
Old 05-13-19, 07:37 AM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Did any one notice that this thread is 2 years old and the op hasnt ever been back
Old 05-13-19, 03:00 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Bent Bill
Did any one notice that this thread is 2 years old and the op hasnt ever been back
If you're like me, it makes ya wanna stop trying to help. They come in, ask for advice, and then disappear, usually without even acknowledging the answers.
Old 09-12-23, 11:05 AM
Baldone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP did reply

Okay ancient thread,, but i find this funny and kinda sad... OP apparently took a few years but did buy a trike. It looks like she ignored all the try it out advice given here.

(6) Choosing an adult tricycle? : whichbike (******.com)

www.******.com/r/whichbike/comments/mulpxx/choosing_an_adult_tricycle

"Etrike arrived.20" fat tires..shocked huge wont fit into apt. Elevator..or my apt. Door..weighs 100lb. Its made of steel not ALUMINUM..demo so non refundable..im sick over it..what to do.but leave outside..it will be stolen or more likely vandelized..im 4'10" 109lb. No one to help.are their smaller ones...vancouver..i waiyed for a uear to get this .suppose to be for riders 5'5" and under?? "

It's a year old post and while I can't be sure it's the OP how many 4'10" adults do you know?
Is Etrike the brand?
BTW looking for an adult trike for an elderly relative. $1000 seems a bit crazy or maybe I'm just not use to inflation. Peace
Likes For Baldone:
Old 09-12-23, 12:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,056 Times in 2,704 Posts
Baldone so you took the time to post in a 6 year old thread to stalk online posts from the OP who never came back for what reason?
Old 09-12-23, 01:01 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I looked into getting one once upon a time because I wanted to bike into my 50s yet had never learned how. You need to have something specially made for you. Note that you won't be able to climb hills. Once I realized its limitations, I didn't bother. I take spin class inside and consider myself lucky.
Old 09-13-23, 09:58 AM
Baldone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Anyway

Best trike I can find (I guess) under a grand and new, is Sun's traditional trike. It has Hi Ten steel, one size fits all, and pipe like crank arms, pretty much the markings of a crap bike in my experience. True bike might be a contender or the once sold (now we are talking used) Walmart Schwinn Meridian. Anyone have experience with any of those or with another? Anyone put these on a scale?

Again remember, it's always so hard to remember, under a $1000.
Old 09-13-23, 10:01 AM
Baldone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HeyItsSara
I looked into getting one once upon a time because I wanted to bike into my 50s yet had never learned how. You need to have something specially made for you. Note that you won't be able to climb hills. Once I realized its limitations, I didn't bother. I take spin class inside and consider myself lucky.
I guess Grandma can cross bombing up canyons off her list
Old 09-13-23, 10:05 AM
Baldone

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Baldone so you took the time to post in a 6 year old thread to stalk online posts from the OP who never came back for what reason?
My bad I originally was haunting this place looking for a suggestion for a trike under $1000 for an old relative. I saw a "squirrel" and forgot the important part...
Likes For Baldone: