Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which type of electric bikes can ride normally without drag again?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 02:32 AM
TheChosenOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I remember a while back people said some electric bikes take a lot of effort to pedal yourself without any help from the battery while other electric bikes are easy to pedal manually. I'd like to know which bikes are easy to pedal without any battery assistance because sometimes I might want to do all the work and sometimes the battery might run out. If it runs out I don't want to use twice as much energy than a regular bike.
Old 03-13-18, 07:42 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 625 Posts
To a varying degree, direct drive (DD) motors cause drag when they are "off", while geared motors, which have a clutch, don't. Of course the weight (size) of the motor is another consideration. Look at Chas58's build(s) for some "pedalable" examples. Also, read the tutorials at ebikesca for more information.
Old 03-13-18, 11:15 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 194 Posts
Tire tread, width, and weight, and wheel diameter, also will affect ease of pedaling.

To be honest, I expected to feel some drag with production ebikes like the Stromer and Evelo that use 500W direct drive motors, but I could tell much difference unless they were put in regen mode. Then they were ugly. However, I've read enough posts about 1000W ebay kits where the owners called for an uber rather than try to struggle home w.o power. Much of that is trying to apply radial acceleration to a 16 pound wheel.

I have a geared 500W motor right now on a test stand. It will spin for 4 seconds if I flick it, while a regular wheel will spin for almost a minute.

Similarily, if I pull the chain off my mid drive bike, the pedals will spin for abouut 5 seconds. I thpuight that was great until someone pointed out that regular pedals spin for a minute too.
Old 03-13-18, 12:26 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Regen mode is handy to have, especially if you are lucky enough to cleverly place your downhill segments where you can usefully use the recharge (Stromer, for example, doesn't use the regen until you are below 74ish% SoC). The drag on my ST-1 isn't terribly bad; but between the weight of the bike, the weight of my usual panniers (and stuff) makes pedaling without at least the lowest level of boost annoying. On the plus side, when riding with my kids I can make the downhills feel like up hills with some appropriate application of regen ;>

More than the kind of motor, it seems to net out to "quality of implementation issue" where the better bikes feel less "draggy"; at least in my experience.
Old 03-15-18, 01:45 PM
tegnamo

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
As far as mid-drives, Shimano e8000 (maybe e6000?), Bosch Active Line, Fazua, maybe some Bafang mid-motors all have minimal pedaling resistance when they're turned off. Brose too? Not sure on that one...
Old 03-15-18, 01:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I saw one* that sits over the front wheel , friction drum drives the tire, so lifting it off the vtire would mean only its weight remains .

*was in the folding bike posts... mechanism type, , already used in Velosolex Mopeds. there a 2 stroke motor gives the energy..
Old 03-15-18, 03:43 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I saw one* that sits over the front wheel , friction drum drives the tire, so lifting it off the vtire would mean only its weight remains .

*was in the folding bike posts... mechanism type, , already used in Velosolex Mopeds. there a 2 stroke motor gives the energy..
The eventually "coming" Shareroller lifts and has zero drag. Also, add-e and go-e friction drives.
Old 03-15-18, 04:15 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Guess the IT crowd, pulling down the big bucks, is not feeding their Gofundme Enough, yet..
Old 03-19-18, 03:55 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go ride a 50-60lb ‘regular’ bike and you’ll have an idea. It’s not fun. Once my ~55lbs. e-bike died 7 miles from home and it was absolutely brutal to ride home unassisted. And my ebike has a geared hub motors that free wheels with almost no drag and pretty low rolling resistance tires. Most e-bikes have an ‘eco’ or very low assist setting that uses very little battery power. I would highly recommend you use that setting versus trying to ride an e-bike with the assist turned off.
Old 03-20-18, 04:09 PM
billp91311

Bikes: hal eboost

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Hal eboost Motobecane ebike and have pedaled it up a fairly inclined grade without assist and there is no drag from the motor so I would assume all Shimano E8000 bikes are the same.
Old 03-20-18, 09:43 PM
drowling23

Bikes: R&M Delite GX Rohloff, Crescent Elgar 27,5 FS, Haibike SDURO HardFour 4.0

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yamaha PW can be pedaled just fine without any significant resistance. Bosch CX, on the other hand, is extremely painful to pedal. I think Bosch have themselves realized how much drag a small front cog is causing, and they are working on fixing this. Yes, with a larger cog.
Old 03-20-18, 10:24 PM
justin70
a big man

Bikes: Trek 4300; Motobecane Vent Noir

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
I remember a while back people said some electric bikes take a lot of effort to pedal yourself without any help from the battery while other electric bikes are easy to pedal manually. I'd like to know which bikes are easy to pedal without any battery assistance because sometimes I might want to do all the work and sometimes the battery might run out. If it runs out I don't want to use twice as much energy than a regular bike.
I'm doing a lot of research before buying a e-mtb...but have never ridden outside of brief parking lot test rides. Anyway, the internet sites I've seen say the mtb motors for Yamaha, Shimano, and Brose, all pedal pretty easily, while the Bosch CX is a pig when the battery dies. Can't comment on the commuter versions because I'm not researching those.
Old 03-22-18, 03:36 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
My old e-bike's small 250w rear hub didn't drag at all, but my new one (part of a 1500w kit but now drawing a full 2000w) does have some drag.

I never use it unassisted, though - i have 2x10 gears but only ever use 20th. Full XT set-up, complete waste of money that was!