Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Suspension forks on commuter bikes

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Suspension forks on commuter bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-20, 09:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Tom, are you thinking of the Future Shock, Shock Stop, or is there some other additional thing I've missed?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-06-20, 04:57 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I am not a big fan of suspension on bikes for any type of riding. and even my mountain bikes which I use off road have a rigid fork. My body and my tires provide more than enough suspension.
Old 11-07-20, 04:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Tom, are you thinking of the Future Shock, Shock Stop, or is there some other additional thing I've missed?
I don't know what it's called. A friend showed me his new high end Trek road bike. I don't even remember how it worked, whether it was in the stem or the headset.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-09-20, 07:16 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't know what it's called. A friend showed me his new high end Trek road bike. I don't even remember how it worked, whether it was in the stem or the headset.
That would be Trek's IsoSpeed front decoupler. https://road.cc/content/tech-news/18...eed-decouplers
It lets the fork shift front/back slightly, moving the bars up and down to help take the edge off bumps. Specialized FutureShock is really just a miniature shock in the headtube.

To be honest, I don't understand the kinematics of how front IsoSpeed works. I guess the impact makes the wheel move backward by a few mm, causing the headtube to shift forward and the handlebars to drop as the front end rises to go over the bump. But it turns into a giant vector mess when you consider fork rake, stem angle, wheel size.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 11-09-20, 09:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

That's interesting. The upper headset is in a trunnion, so it's not fighting the bending in the narrow part of the steerer.

That's basically entirely opposite of the point of going to tapered steerers in the first place.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-09-20 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 06:30 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
That's basically entirely opposite of the point of going to tapered steerers in the first place.
I don’t think so, for two reasons. One, the deflection is fore-aft, while the deflection tapered head tubes are intended to resist is mostly torsional at a right angle to the direction of travel; two the lower headset and steerer are still anchored in place, and the steerer inside the head tube is essentially acting as a flex pivot, as you see in the rear suspension design of quite a few modern XC mountain bikes.
Old 11-11-20, 06:40 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by grolby
...the deflection is fore-aft, while the deflection tapered head tubes are intended to resist is mostly torsional at a right angle to the direction of travel
Huh. Can you cite something? That makes no sense to me. The steering forces are dinky. The side forces are dinky. The cantilever from the handlebars to the steerer and from the wheel to the steerer must be on the order of a hundred ft-lb

Edit: you know what? Never mind. Trying to keep this thread light and useful and not bog it down

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 11-11-20 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 07:02 PM
grolby

I don’t have a cite, sorry. I’m not a mechanical engineer and frankly I’m lazy. Believe me or not, that’s fair. All I can tell you is that to the best of my recollection tapered head tubes have always been sold on the basis of increasing steering precision by improving stiffness against torsion. From personal experience, it does make a difference, though personally I find it much more obvious off-road than on. Fore-aft stiffness isn’t really as relevant, I don’t think. And as I said, I think the fixed lower race should keep resistance to fore-aft flex very high.

Edit, sorry, I think I’m being unclear - my understanding is that, with the pivot point essentially being the middle of the steerer, an impact from below should induce fore-aft movement at the top of the stack but not at the bottom. Basically the lower race is still transmitting the force upwards, with the same vector as the rest of the fork. Does that make sense at all?

Last edited by grolby; 11-11-20 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 07:13 PM
grolby

Believe me, I agree with you - intuitively, I think, surely the torsional forces on the frame from cornering are minuscule. But I can’t argue with the results. Again, if unclear, the plane of flex we’re talking about, here, is vertical. Imagine holding the head tube and seat tube of your bike and rotating them in opposite directions, as though you were going to twist them into a pretzel. That’s what tapered head tubes are primarily intended to resist, as I understand it.
Old 11-16-20, 08:50 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I've left alone the topic of rear suspension in this thread, even though I think it has merit enough for discussion, mostly because that's not what's marketed to commuters. The other styles (hybrid, fitness, comfort, gravel, hardtail) are all cross-marketed for commuting, but four-bar full suspension bikes for Mountain Biking are not. Their prices start in the $2000's, they limit cargo options to a backpack, and nearly all of them have 4in travel or more.
Short travel full suspension comfort bikes are a thing, although not very common. Ketller Alu Rad City Comfort is one model I know of, but therea are others too, I believe Giant also made one at some point in time. I think I've also seen an user here post a pic of his bike of such style recently.
Old 11-16-20, 11:32 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Right, but they're not really a category. You could maybe find one or two examples at a time. Cannondale had a Jekyll frame with a road wheelset, nearly 20 years ago.

Back on the topic of front suspension, this bike has a Head Shok, which was a Cannondale suspension fork in the 90's-00's. There were a variety of these, but they are no longer supported. There were many versions of the innards. Air/oil came first in 1992 but they did MCU on later less expensive versions. The placement limited the travel and to solve that they later moved the works outboard, and turned it into the Lefty fork.

Old 11-17-20, 01:39 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Short travel full suspension comfort bikes are a thing, although not very common. Ketller Alu Rad City Comfort is one model I know of, but therea are others too, I believe Giant also made one at some point in time. I think I've also seen an user here post a pic of his bike of such style recently.
Those are more of European thing than American and they're getting a bit less common here too. While utility cycling is becoming more of a thing in the US we're still decades away from Europeans in that regard the good part is though that once were there companies have all the models we'll ever need.
Old 11-21-20, 08:39 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
For road commuting: it's not about the fork; it's all about the tire.
Old 04-17-21, 11:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I’ve been thinking about an addendum to this thread but I’m not sure how to quantify it. That’s control. It’s easier to talk about efficiency or comfort, and I suppose no one would like being told their favorite roadie bike is hard to control. (Prefer “agile!”)

Suspension forks improve control of the bike. I’m sure a debate could be staged, but I’ve watched my 6yo run his Hotrock with its little XCT fork up a curb and survive enough times, and remember how much worse it was on his 16er.

In the thread about “What did you find on the ground,” a common answer is “Myself.” I tried to see how many people had made this joke but ran into this problem:

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-19-21 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-11-21, 04:48 PM
FelixScout
Rider who can know more

Bikes: 1995 Trek 850 Mountain Track turned trail and road bike, 1989 Centurion Le Mans RS, 1993 Bianchi Advantage. Dead: 1982 Schwinn Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This was an interesting read. Thank you.
Old 05-11-21, 05:13 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
my e bike commuter came with the typical cheap suntour spring fork. I replaced it with the rockshox paragon gold and it works pretty well. mostly at higher speeds. but I can keep the tires at 70 psi they are 1.5" tires. the bike would beat me up in winter going 20+mph it does not move a huge amount.the bike bare is 52 pounds with my locks and one bag 70#