Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Newbie bike selection help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-20, 07:18 PM
Nikado7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie bike selection help

New here...

I'll start by saying I'm fat and gonna ride bikes to counter that, I currently have a Trek 9000 which eh... Looking to upgrade as I think it will cost just the same to get the old trek going to where it actually works smoothly.

I just fart around town maybe 8 miles worth, then I sometimes go on the katy trail (MKT trail between kansas city and st louis) most of the other time for around 20 miles. It is pretty much flat with hard pack small gravel. That is the extent of how I ride. 10-15mph. Nothing competitive etc just a leisurely fat burning ride.

I'm left with a few options and need help deciding. My budget is under $500 all said and done.. Pretty much doesn't matter if its 200 or 500 so here is what I've narrowed it down to.

I can't post links since I'm new so here are the options..

$490----Trek Verve 1 Hybrid (NEW 2021)
$325----Trek 3900 (Used 2000's?)
$250----Trek Marlin 6 (Used 2010's?)

The Verve 1 one is my top pick right now, but it has no suspension.
The Marlin 6 one has I think just an 8 speed? Reviews claim thats all you need but eh.
The Trek 3900 one is older and might put me in the same boat as where I am now where the bike is just in desperate need of a lot of TLC, though it might be new enough to really not matter.
The cheaper 2 also have aggressive tires which I really don't care to have on just some hard pack gravel. On the flip side, those 2 have suspension...

I'm really a complete newb at this so I have no idea the pros and cons of each of those 3 or if all 3 are not worth my time. I've googled for hours and its just kinda hard deciphering whats what on everything. Any help is MUCH appreciated.
Old 10-11-20, 09:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
The verve 1 doesn't have a suspension fork but it has 45mm tires which provides a lot of suspension when inflated to the correct pressure for the rider and surface.
Cheap and/or poorly maintainex suspension forks are heavy and suck power away.
Old 10-11-20, 11:00 PM
Nikado7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The biggest issue I have is my current tire is 26 x 2.1 inches and it looks flat when I sit on it. The side of the tire says 40-65psi and I have 65 in it. I don't get it. I'm 210lbs. Not just a little squatting I mean it flat out looks flat.
Old 10-12-20, 01:38 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikado7
The biggest issue I have is my current tire is 26 x 2.1 inches and it looks flat when I sit on it. The side of the tire says 40-65psi and I have 65 in it. I don't get it. I'm 210lbs. Not just a little squatting I mean it flat out looks flat.
Verve seems well-suited to the kind of riding you describe, and I don't think you need suspension for that. Buying a new bike means everything should work from the start, and the shop can help you with the right fit.

Maybe your tire pressure gauge is off? There is no way that rider weight of 210 lbs should overwhelm 26 x 2.1" tires @ 65 psi.

I'm normally a fan of riding what one has, especially if it fits. But I agree that putting more $$ into a Trek 9000 might not be a good investment.
Old 10-12-20, 05:48 AM
Nikado7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to spend some time checking and actually check the pressure. I am not a fan of the presta valve thing thats on it at all. Not sure if the verve would have that or not.
Old 10-12-20, 07:48 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Congrats on choosing a bike to get in shape. That's cool.

Do you really need/want the complexity, cost, hassle of suspension for the type of riding you do?

The bigger the tire, the better it will handle the extra weight in general. And in the last years, people have been looking for tires that didn't need to be at full pressure. So, unless you are bottoming out the tire on the rim, or the handling is getting squirrely - don't worry too much about what the sidewall looks like.

My goto bike for something like that is a used hard tail mountain bike (steel is nice). I like the Trek 930, 950, 970 from the '90s, but that is just me.
(although there is getting a smaller and smaller selection of 26" tires every day).
Old 10-12-20, 07:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
The perspective from above is not at all accurate. Dont use how much it looks flat when looking down as a basis for if a tire is under-inflated.
I am 215# and when I look down from the saddle, my rear tire looks like its sagging and low on gravel and mountain bikes due to the pressure I have in the tires. A 26x2.1 with tube would have probably 40psi in back for me if riding on pavement and crushed stone(Katy).
Proper inflation gives you comfort and traction while not really sacrificing speed.
Old 10-12-20, 07:57 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Please post a photo of your Trek 9000. Is it that early / mid 90's full suspension mountain bike?

The verve is a comfort bike, I rode an earlier one (w/ suspension) and wasn't a fan. It always felt like it was holding me back. When I replaced it with a rigid hybrid (Trek FX) I was much happier and riding more. However, that got replaced my early 90's rigid mountain bike for that type of riding.

I'd echo what others are saying, look for a no suspension bike. At your price range, the suspension will not work well anyway. The Janis Sequel and Marin Muirwoods have my attention as far as new bikes go, but they are over your budget.
Old 10-12-20, 11:11 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
The side of the tire says 40-65psi and I have 65 in it. I don't get it. I'm 210lbs. Not just a little squatting I mean it flat out looks flat.
Are you sure that you're inflating it correctly, with the Presta valve core unthreaded and the pump chuck properly seated on the valve? Does each full stroke of the pump cause the gauge to bump only slightly upward, or does the gauge PSI shoot way up and the resistance of the pump increase as you go through a pump stroke?

65PSI in a 2.1" tire should be quite stiff under a 210lb rider.