Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Diamond Back (Ascent 1990) refurb

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 12:47 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 72 Posts

Hi all
After some positive comments from forum members regarding this bike, I picked it up yesterday and today have set about dismantling the frame and components for a health check and lube job.

I am going to take the plunge and se if my airbrush skills are up to repairing the incredible yet strange paintwork. I even have the ideal model spray with which to match the pink sparkle effect over the smoke wisps.
-should be a bit of nailbiting fun.

Overall the paintwork is great, allowing for the usual scuffs after 30 years, so its worth the little extra effort.

Shimano bits are in condition A, and it will get new-build wheelset with STX hubs and Ride Andra rims.

I’ll put up with the grip shift gear for now, it works fine.

I shall be looking out for a decent brake lever set s as these are flimsy.

As it came, complete and working.

Transparent iridescent pink

Still got that sparkle

Have some QR skewers to match the seat clamp

Last edited by Deepcherry; 08-22-20 at 03:39 PM.
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 08-19-20, 01:23 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
We just don't have enough MTB rebuild threads on bike forums. This is a cool bike. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Buena suerte.
Old 08-19-20, 01:40 PM
retrodude

Bikes: 1984 & 1990 Marinoni Specials - 1990 Bianchi Sika - 1993 Cannondale M800 - 1996 GT Zaskar - 1993 Kona Kilauea - 1987 Ritchey Ascent - 1996 Rocky Mountain Vertex - 2008 Kona Dogma - 1976 Schwinn Suburban - 1994 Kuwahara Makai

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 58 Posts
Nice vintage bike, I've done a few 90s era restorations. I strongly recommend finding some Deore or LX thumb shifters or at least period triggers. Personal preference but not a grip shift fan.

Definable a cool paint job, I remember this bike being in magazine ads, its worth trying to restore the original components if you can afford it. Craigslist has been very useful, eBay can be pricey.

Are those cantis on the front and V brake on the back?
Old 08-19-20, 02:48 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Bikes: Corratec Xvert, Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Kona Cinder Cone ‘93 Specialized StumpJumper, Ritchey mtb

I too prefer the fine adjustment that thumb levers offer, but while the grips give precise changes I shall leave them be. This is definitely a low budget and parts-bin refurb to begin with.
I am waiting on some 2nd hand thumbies for another bike however, so who knows?

First up are new wheels, and the BB feels somewhat dry and ‘sprung’ now that the mech and chain are off. That will come apart and be taken care of soon enough.

But yeah, I can totally understand the popularity of this machine, and for the token price I paid for it I am way happy.

Two spots like this need some ‘patching up’

Good as new

Old 08-19-20, 02:52 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Front and rear V-brakes. These apparently low-grade brake parts will be swapped for some others I have knocking around

Last edited by Deepcherry; 08-21-20 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 03:51 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Originally Posted by bikemig
We just don't have enough MTB rebuild threads on bike forums. This is a cool bike. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Buena suerte.
‘Muchas gracias’ as John Travolta once said.

This will be a first for me so treat me gently
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 08-19-20, 04:47 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Deepcherry
‘Muchas gracias’ as John Travolta once said.

This will be a first for me so treat me gently
No hay porque.

We're good with newbies but you may have to watch out on your second build.

Your next build which will be a Zeus, right? Or maybe a Razesa? We see very few Spanish bikes here.
Old 08-19-20, 05:06 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

There does indeed appear to be a Razesa with all of its lovely Zeus parts waiting in line....

But that is a story for another day
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 08-19-20, 06:18 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Nice!
Keep us updated i have a 1989 Apex in the queue that is the same color . its called "Iridescent Lilac Smoke"
Old 08-20-20, 01:57 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Originally Posted by fleslider
Nice!
Keep us updated i have a 1989 Apex in the queue that is the same color . its called "Iridescent Lilac Smoke"
That is indeed a descriptive title.
I fortunately have tins of leftover acrylic enamel in various shades of grey, plus model paint iridescent red effect, which in sunlight has a very similar tone, topped off with PU lacquer.

I am doubtful that I can blend in a perfectly matched repair, although the airbrush often gives surprising results.
- Better than rusting bare metal at the very least.

It looks like the scuffed and damaged decals (and those missing from the top tube) may have to be replaced, as they ‘ain’t too pretty’.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 08-20-20 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 01:37 PM
VtwinVince

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
I've got an Ascent which I finished this spring, with the black 'splatter' paint scheme. They're cool bikes.
Old 08-20-20, 01:46 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
I say ditch the v-brakes and go back to canti’s. It bugs me to see unused cable stops on the seatstays. I wonder where the front canti stop was located? Stem? Headset?
Old 08-20-20, 02:05 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by JacobLee
I say ditch the v-brakes and go back to canti’s. It bugs me to see unused cable stops on the seatstays. I wonder where the front canti stop was located? Stem? Headset?
Here's the stem on the 89 Axis, with the cable stop built in.

Old 08-20-20, 03:26 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Originally Posted by JacobLee
Thanks, I understand your comments but that seems quite unnecessary, it has only really had a programmed brake upgrade (marketing-driven perhaps), and I like V-brakes anyway for their availability, effectiveness, aesthetic qualites and their simplicity.

These priorities may be different depending on..

As this is not a ‘mod’ to the frame, it just requires re-purposing the canti cable bracket or sticking a flagpole in it or something, maybe a strap anchor point for the rear pannier rack, somewhere to hook a bungee cord. A rear light? Its pretty strong as it is designed to pull against the brake cable.

And were I thinking to resell, the price would not really worth the extra trouble and expense. (In our local market at least....)
Time I do have, to make what I got as good as it gets, and then thrash the bayjasus out of it, thumbsup-like.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 08-21-20 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-20-20, 03:39 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

The aftermarket plastic and tin brake levers are gone, to be replaced at the moment by a 90s Tektro alloy pair. A quality lever for feel and pulling force, mated by whatever reliable means to a good friction surface are key to controllable braking.

That’s the anal engineer in me

Last edited by Deepcherry; 07-06-21 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-20-20, 04:35 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Speaking of brakes, I pulled these as-new ‘Logan’ branded Vs off a parts bike. Nothing special, but they fit in.
-So far this bike is still a contender for the ‘Clunker 100’. LoL

Last edited by Deepcherry; 08-20-20 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-22-20, 02:20 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Today I had a spot of luck and came across some complete sets of LX and STX components, some of which will come in useful in this project.

Other than that, experiments with paint are looking promising. I have some acrylic leftovers which just about work for this frame’s interesting finish.

A length of bamboo will do just fine for testing the basecoat colour

Some airbrushed smoke wisps...

Not bad for the test. The frame only needs small repairs in a few places and not a complete respray thankfully.

Last edited by Deepcherry; 08-23-20 at 07:31 AM.
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 08-23-20, 05:05 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Today more progress with the paint; I got the base coat and airbrushed smoked effect down over the worst patch, as well as the magical lilac iridescent.

That must dry and then I will give it a coat of PU lacquer for a high gloss. It will not be an invisible repair, but much much better than the ugly mess covered in black vinyl as was.

Managed to get that lilac sheen effect

As it was, just before sanding back and rust proofing. Someone made a mess....

Last edited by Deepcherry; 08-23-20 at 09:56 AM.
Likes For Deepcherry:
Old 08-23-20, 08:33 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Those smoke paint jobs were fabulous.

you do know that didn’t come with V brakes and grip shifters originally yes? I think the OEM brake levers were aluminum shimano with silver levers and black body. The shifter were index thumb shifters and brakes silver alloy. All Deore DX

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-23-20, 09:53 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Those smoke paint jobs were fabulous.

you do know that didn’t come with V brakes and grip shifters originally yes? I think the OEM brake levers were aluminum shimano with silver levers and black body. The shifter were index thumb shifters and brakes silver alloy. All Deore DX
Hi
yes thank you, as this is not a 100% thorough concourse resto, I shall use what I have or can scrounge, and run the bike as my daily runner.
Aftermarket V- brakes are an excusable replacement, but with some better levers than were installed. Tektro or Shimano as per the photos.

The shifters will be replaced by my preferred period Shimano friction levers rather than indexing triggers, I was going to leave the Grip shifts for a while, but I just put one of them on a friend’s bike to replace her broken one.

Old 08-25-20, 08:14 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Yesterday I scored some ‘almost free’ nice parts; straight and true vintage Araya rims with LX hubs which are in really great condition, complete with a fairly transparent dork disc!

Some brake levers with new cables are now installed for the present V-brakes, and I now have some LX cantis which were thrown in with the wheels and other parts I picked up yesterday. Perhaps they can go on after all, except they are black and I would prefer shiny alloy in this bike.

In additiin the parts haul, I picked up a generic almost unused 25yo mtb for 10€ which had its original Vredestein ”Mount Everest” skinwall tyres and tubes, and the Shimano shifters as now fitted to the DB.

Can anyone tell which tyre is fitted incorrectly? There is no ‘ROTATION->>’ marking, and I forgot to check before removing! At least the psi marking is lined up with the valve....

So right now the DB is waiting for new pedals, saddle and post, handlebar and stem, and a good thrashing!

Thanks.

Old 08-25-20, 12:20 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Today more progress with the paint; I got the base coat and airbrushed smoked effect down over the worst patch, as well as the magical lilac iridescent.

That must dry and then I will give it a coat of PU lacquer for a high gloss. It will not be an invisible repair, but much much better than the ugly mess covered in black vinyl as was.

Managed to get that lilac sheen effect

Awesome! Your paint skills are great; frame looks amazing.
Old 08-25-20, 01:50 PM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Thank you
Old 10-26-20, 07:30 AM
Deepcherry
Off grid off road

Been playing and using and changing, to get to this point. This makes a really great local-daily and road tourer, excellent gear range 46-36-24 with 32-12 9sp cassette.
RD is now a very unused DeoreXT, front LX original, good old Deore black v-brakes and rolling on LandCruisers, Ryde Andra rims and NOS Shimano STX hubs.
Picked up some cheap Rapid Fire shifters and with the old brake levers and straight bar it has a pleasing esthetic cockpit up front.

Oh and the lovely Brooks, I almost feel like I stole, is breaking in nicely.

Old 10-26-20, 08:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Some airbrushed smoke wisps...

Not bad for the test. The frame only needs small repairs in a few places and not a complete respray thankfully.

Dang!!! Thats impressive. Strong work.
Likes For mstateglfr: