Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

My Motobecane Omni Strada Broke?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 08:07 AM
Elijah Fox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think when my nephew rode my bike he broke something.I asked him what he did and he said he had a hard time shifting it.He told me he reversed the peddles while trying to shift now it wont shift correctly and it makes a noise when I move the bike in reverse while walking backwards.I also read in the manual that can damage to the bike I miss riding my bike. I dont know if this is the right place for this post.
Old 10-07-20, 08:46 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
This is a common problem, if the pedals and chain are rotated backwards before a shift has completed. It may fix itself by rotating the pedals forward while shifting...that should reposition the chain onto the correct sprocket at the back. If there's still chain noise after this, as if the chain is trying to decide between two different sprockets, then it's possible that the derailleur needs an adjustment, or that something was bent in the process. It's not unfixable, but the repair will depend on exactly what went wrong.

Try pedaling forward and shifting a few times to "resettle" the drivetrain and see if that fixes it. Report back if it does not.
Old 10-07-20, 08:49 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Elijah Fox
I think when my nephew rode my bike he broke something.I asked him what he did and he said he had a hard time shifting it.He told me he reversed the peddles while trying to shift now it wont shift correctly and it makes a noise when I move the bike in reverse while walking backwards.I also read in the manual that can damage to the bike I miss riding my bike. I dont know if this is the right place for this post.
Couple things here...first, bikes aren't able to shift when pedaling backwards. They do goofy things like this and "could" put the adjustment to the derailleur out of whack. Pedaling forward puts tension on the chain to help it shift, where as backwards pedaling, there is no tension.

Doubt if the bike is damaged, although, can't say for certain since we don't have images or see the bike directly ourselves.

If you are inclined to work on your bike your self, search for derailleur adjustments on YouTube. IF your uncomfortable on doing this, go to your LBS (Local Bike Shop) to have this adjusted.

Also, may want to make sure you have properly lubricated the chain. It could do what you described if it has no lubrication.
Old 10-08-20, 05:40 PM
Elijah Fox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all ty for the replies .I took it to a shop I had been before..The derailleur needed some adjustment and the chain was dirty along with checking everything else.We rode in a nature preserve near my house so that didn't help.

Last edited by Elijah Fox; 10-08-20 at 05:46 PM. Reason: mistake