Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone using WTB tires with the new SG2 protection?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 08:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts

A big complaint that I see across pretty much any comments section for WTB tires is that they are super weak and cut easily. Its a bunch of gushing words about the speed/grip/feel, and then a complaint that the tires are delicate.

Ive had my WTB Resolute tires for a little over a year and they are fully worn out. I loved them to start, hated them after one had continued deflation issues for a few weeks, then loved em for months of gravel and singletrack riding, and now I cant even mount one of them tubeless anymore as it wont seat to save my life so its running with a tube.
This is 5x more than I ever want to think about my tires, and yet I am considering buying them again because I really like the feel, traction, and size.

So anyone have the SG2 versions of WTB tires that recently came out? Do they seem any stronger? Do they seem worse feeling?
Vanity time- the SG2 only comes in black sidewall. Lame. WTB is basically synonymous with tan sidewall gravel tires at this point.
Old 10-09-20, 10:33 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
I suspect the SG2 versions may be too new for people to have much experience with them, though one reviewer has some initial thoughts here.

I have to ask: which sealant are you running with the Resolutes, and have you had many punctures? I get them occasionally, but usually don't even know it until after a ride, when I find some Orange Seal on my frame. Though maybe you're riding in gnarlier stuff.

I get about 2000-2500 miles on a Resolute in the rear, and the front tire goes much longer. So far (knock wood), I've had no issues with them.
Old 10-09-20, 11:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
yeah, i figured it may be too recent, but thought itd be worth checking.

I use Stans sealant and the tires have been great overall, its just when theyve been an issue its a big annoyance.
upcoming will most likely either be the original Resolute(im vain and like the tan sidewall) or Panaracer GK SS. Ive found I ride a lot more paved roads this year with my gravel bike because most rides are starting from my house. In years past, probably half my gravel rides started after a drive to a destination since I would ride after work. Maybe the GK SS will be a good choice for how I now ride.

Tires need to just cost less so I can buy more of them and try em all. I wonder who I have to talk with to make that happen...