Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

🤔 Do I actually need to carry a repair kit? 🤔

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 10:16 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
That's not "a machine" being used. But whatever.
OK "tools" then. They use the same tools Al or steel, I use the same tools Al or steel.
Old 10-25-20, 10:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,634 Times in 2,919 Posts
Rather than name calling, making judgements and just being uncivil to the OP and each other, why not simply point out to the OP that there are videos on YouTube to help teach him the fundamentals or someone local that can give him a quick in person tutorial on changing a flat? It seems like there are a few that go out of their way to be unnecessarily cruel rather than encouraging and helpful.

when I first started cycling, I didn’t know squat about repairs. I certainly didn’t devine how to fix a sidewall blowout repair but was taught by a friend to use a folded dollar bill. How about a little charity to help people out? Isn’t that the point of forums; to help each other and to share the good and bad times? Asking for decency is not too much to ask.

And thank you to the respondent to my question on how to deal with a tubeless flat and am sure glad their response didn’t devolve into a rant about my moral and ethical failings. See people can be nice with as little effort as changing a tube. . Have a better day and maybe all of us can be a bit better people, myself included.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-25-20, 11:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger
I've been riding my bike more and getting into better shape. Given that, I'm sprucing up my ride a little, getting fenders, etc. One thing I haven't done is carry a pump, patch kit, etc. I have a feeling this is ill advised, so I wanted opinions. Here's why I'm not sure it's necessary:

I live in a metro area. I ride on greenways and streets. Even if I had a repair kit, I doubt I would use it. I would call a friend and hope they were available to pick me up a the nearest intersection and get my bike home. If that wasn't possible, my plan was to lock up my bike somewhere, uber home, and pick it back up ASAP.

Part of this is because I haven't yet learned how to fix basic stuff. I probably should. Even still, I'd probably rather fix it at home anyway.

Am I forgetting something? Is my phone-a-friend no repair kit on board strategy fair, or foolish?

Thanks for any input!
No you dont HAVE to if you dont mind walking home.
Old 10-25-20, 11:17 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Threads like these I’m still surprised people don’t learn how to do this when they were, like, eight or ten, and there are actually classes and even practice
Of course I grew up on a farm and learned mechanics early. By the time I was 12 I learned how to regrease all bearings, and had taken my New Departure coaster brake apart and put it back together again. Flat tires are simple.
Old 10-25-20, 11:36 AM
dabac

Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Re: CO2 inflators
OP, if you decide to take a step on the road to self-reliance and learn how to replace a tube - CO2 inflators are an option instead of a pump. They take less space and reduces the risk of pulling the valve off the tube.
But they introduce the risk of finding yourself cursing in a cloud of CO2 as the precious gas go just about everywhere apart from in the tube.
Buy a couple to practice with before you actually need them.
Old 10-25-20, 11:39 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
How about the OP?
Are you under the impression that he also has a physical or other impairment?
You directed your insult towards him so it would seem so.
God Bless and may he help you be a better and more understanding person.
I’m praying for you
Either my post doesn't mean what you think it means or you are being deliberately obtuse. Either way, it doesn't seem you have anything to contribute to my knowledge or appreciation of cycling. So, on you go to the iggy list.FWIW, you should use He with a capital in that context.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 10-25-20 at 11:51 AM. Reason: add theological clarification
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-25-20, 12:02 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
OK "tools" then. They use the same tools Al or steel, I use the same tools Al or steel.
Hence why I wouldn't let you near my alu rims - car, bicycle, or motorbike.
Old 10-25-20, 12:05 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by rsbob
Rather than name calling, making judgements and just being uncivil to the OP and each other, why not simply point out to the OP that there are videos on YouTube to help teach him the fundamentals or someone local that can give him a quick in person tutorial on changing a flat? It seems like there are a few that go out of their way to be unnecessarily cruel rather than encouraging and helpful.

when I first started cycling, I didn’t know squat about repairs. I certainly didn’t devine how to fix a sidewall blowout repair but was taught by a friend to use a folded dollar bill. How about a little charity to help people out? Isn’t that the point of forums; to help each other and to share the good and bad times? Asking for decency is not too much to ask.

And thank you to the respondent to my question on how to deal with a tubeless flat and am sure glad their response didn’t devolve into a rant about my moral and ethical failings. See people can be nice with as little effort as changing a tube. . Have a better day and maybe all of us can be a bit better people, myself included.
Yawn. He made it clear that he'd rather phone a friend than patch a tube/tire:

Even if I had a repair kit, I doubt I would use it. I would call a friend and hope they were available to pick me up a the nearest intersection and get my bike home.
In other words: He's not the least bit interested in learning how to do such basic things.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-25-20, 01:32 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
I think I was probably about 8 years old when my big brother taught me how to change out a bike tube and patch it.
I was probably about the same age when my dad taught me how to patch a tube at his service station. Heck, at that age I may have even already been patching car tires. But around that age was when I not only worked for him, but he decreed that any flat bike tires that came in were my responsibility which I would receive the repair fees for.
Old 10-25-20, 01:34 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by dedhed
Bike tires? Bunch of amateurs.

I would never use that primitive method of dismounting a car tire. Too much work. Using a tire machine is much quicker & easier.
Old 10-25-20, 01:44 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Yeah, like a PITA who calls for free personal taxi service to "rescue" him from taking care of himself like an adult.
No kidding. I've made the call, but I only call when something happens that just isn't fixable. I always have a patch kit, small pump, and spare tube with me. Along with tire levers, and whatever I need. hell, once I cut a tire and used a folded $20 bill as a boot, along with some electrical tape to ride 20 miles home.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 10-25-20, 01:46 PM
Milton Keynes

That’s impressive that you have never asked a friend, family member, or co-worker to help you with anything because you knew exactly how to do it yourself.
When you first bought a computer or smartphone you never asked someone to help you out with it?
How about cars? You never had someone other than a paid mechanic help you with any type of maintenance or repair?
Damn.
Your entire adult life you prepared yourself to fix anything that you ever encountered or paid a professional to do it. You never ‘phoned a friend’
My hats off to you sir
For the record, anytime you ask someone to help you in any way, shape, or form they are abandoning something else. Even if that something else is nothing more than relaxing on the couch.
I think you're being a bit hyperbolic. It's not about never being in a situation where you need help, it's about being prepared enough to not need to bother someone else to bail you out of a situation you can easily get yourself out of.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-25-20, 02:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Kind of wonder if some people spent way too many years living in mom's basement, having her do the cooking, cleaning, and laundry while they called themselves adults and played video games and complained all day.
When my wife's younger sister went to college in the early 2000's, she was amazed at how many girls in her dorm had absolutely no idea how to wash their clothes.
Old 10-25-20, 02:07 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I think you're being a bit hyperbolic. It's not about never being in a situation where you need help, it's about being prepared enough to not need to bother someone else to bail you out of a situation you can easily get yourself out of.
Ok.
So you agree that anyone asking for help in that situation is entitled and ethically challenged?
Because that was the point I was clearly disputing.
Old 10-25-20, 02:10 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Okay, you didn't ask me, but thought I'd give my answer too:
Unless it's pouring down with no cover anywhere, I always opt for patching the tube. Most people choose the fresh tube first. I like patching what I have then and there, rather than having to patch when I get home.
I'm in that camp, too. I hate to break out a brand new tube when a patch job works just as well and doesn't really take that much more time than swapping out tubes. But the consensus seems to be that most people put in a new tube and patch the other one once they get home.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-25-20, 02:12 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Ok.
So you agree that anyone asking for help in that situation is entitled and ethically challenged?
That wasn't the point you were "disputing". But whatever: Yes,a person who asks for people to go out of their way to help them because they can't be bothered to carry or do the most basic thing is indeed entitled and ethically challenged. Not "anyone asking for help in that situation". You really can't help with the strawmanning, can you?
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 10-25-20, 02:13 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I'm in that camp, too. I hate to break out a brand new tube when a patch job works just as well and doesn't really take that much more time than swapping out tubes. But the consensus seems to be that most people put in a new tube and patch the other one once they get home.
Haha, glad I'm not the only one!
Old 10-25-20, 02:17 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Leave with no cell phone, no flat repair, no plan. Snacks, cash, and shoes you can walk in are useful. Enjoy the ride.

If something happens, you're a human with a brain, which is the best tool in the known universe for handling situations. Sit down, have a snack, and come up with a plan. You'll be fine.

After that experience, you may decide to carry something more. But realize that no matter what you carry, fixing the bike is not always possible. And that's just fine.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 10-25-20, 02:40 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
It depends.

There are tons of folks who ride around town with no flat repair capability- especially on bikes with bolted axles and chunky tires. I don't carry anything on my single speed grocery-getter...

I'm sure there are few here who would think of repairing, or even changing, a car or motorcycle tire themselves, nor would they think of shaming others for the same.
Old 10-25-20, 02:41 PM
Milton Keynes

Ok.
I agree that someone always relying on family or friends to drive out somewhere and pick them and their bicycle up because they refuse to learn how to patch a tire and carry a patch kit or spare tube with them is entitled and ethically challenged. I guarantee if I had a friend like that, I might pick them up the first time they called and then offer to teach them how to patch a tube. After that I'd get really tired of having to give up my spare time to help them out when they should be able to help themselves. Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish, and all that. If the man refuses to learn how to fish I'm not going to keep giving him one day in and day out. Just like how if I'm out riding with someone who has a flat I won't mind helping them repair it, but if they expect me to fix their tire every time they have a flat then I likely won't keep riding with them. Patches aren't expensive but it's the principle of the thing.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 10-25-20 at 03:49 PM.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-25-20, 04:02 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
5 pages, I’m impressed.
Old 10-25-20, 04:21 PM
DudeManBro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been wondering this myself, thanks for the info!
Old 10-25-20, 05:10 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
For me, it may depend on miles to go on the ride and/or days to go if I'm on a multi-day. Early on I'll patch, keeping the tubes for unrepairable failures. Closer to the end, I might be tempted to just swap in a tube and deal with it at home. OTOH if it's a nice day, maybe I'm tired of the saddle and there's somewhere decent to sit, I might just sit down, have a snack, and patch. OTOH if I'm riding with a group and they're waiting, I might throw in a tube and go; heck I might even use CO2 to be super quick.

There aren't any rules to follow or strict philosophies that must be adhered to. Ride, enjoy, deal with things as they come.
Old 10-25-20, 05:18 PM
hipslo

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 3 (2020), Trek 720 Multitrack (1993)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
while i am somewhat embarrassed to admit it, i don't have the skills to change a flat tire on my car, and I drive about 15k miles per year. how is this different in any material way? Especially now that AAA will pick up a cyclist with a flat and transport the cyclist and the bike back home (within a reasonable distance).
Old 10-25-20, 05:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by hipslo
while i am somewhat embarrassed to admit it, i don't have the skills to change a flat tire on my car, and I drive about 15k miles per year. how is this different in any material way? Especially now that AAA will pick up a cyclist with a flat and transport the cyclist and the bike back home (within a reasonable distance).
For one thing, you can sit inside your car while you are waiting for Super-Man to arrive and change your tire. Not so much when you’re riding. Also, AAA bike service is not available in all regions last I checked. And my time has value. I’d rather be able to take 10 min. to swap a tube than wait to be rescued. Not being able to fix common problems limits your options. I tour in rural places. I need to be able to deal with a flat.

BTW...I drive fewer than 3,000 miles/year and can (and have) change a car flat.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-25-20 at 05:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.