Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you bike commute in the rain?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Do you bike commute in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 04:13 PM
mstraus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to Bike Commuting and the rainy season in NorCal hasn't quite started yet, so I haven't tried a commute in the rain yet, though I am debating trying when it does rain.

I am not concerned about me or my cargo getting wet (good gear will mitigate that). My concerns are around safety, specifically:
1. Roads being more slick when its raining, particularly painted bike lanes, which seem to get more slick when wet then unpainted roads
2. Beyond just roads, there are a number of metal plates (for construction or underground access), yellow crossing things on bike paths, etc that I have to cross daily (I can't avoid them all the way many are in the bike lanes/paths). These have been very slippery when wet (have had some very wet, drizzly commutes due to Fog in San Francisco).
3. Large descent - I have a large decent in my commute both directions - making more more concerned about slick roads.
4. Visability, more so for other drivers seeing me

I can reduce #3 by biking to a ferry instead of biking all the way. Maybe #1 and 2 are not as big a deal as I fear, so curious to hear what others things. What about 4? How does it compare to visibility in the dark?/
Old 10-16-13, 04:35 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
When I'm touring I ride when it's raining, even raining several days in a row, but I admit that setting up/breaking down camp in the rain isn't much fun. A 20 mile round trip commute in the rain? No biggie. I sweat so much that unless it's cold I don't wear anything extra beyond a jacket.
Old 10-16-13, 05:04 PM
HydroG33r 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awsimons
I'm just wondering how many people will ride to work no matter the weather. I only started commuting 5 months ago, but haven't yet braved the rain, as rare as it is here.
Alan
I'm probably ignorant about your climate, but wouldn't you only get a handful or less days of rain a month in TX?

Notwithstanding how much rain you get, I'm in a similar boat as you. Been commuting for about 4.5 months, and am committing to keeping it up through the rainy season here in Vancouver. Have invested in some blinky lights, warmer clothes, gaiters and fenders etc though.
Old 10-16-13, 05:25 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of my wipeouts have taken place under wet conditions. I now try to avoid the rain.
Old 10-16-13, 05:28 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hell yeah, riding in the rain is awesome! Why wouldn't you do it! Unless you are a witch... are you a witch?
Old 10-16-13, 05:50 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mstraus
I am new to Bike Commuting and the rainy season in NorCal hasn't quite started yet, so I haven't tried a commute in the rain yet, though I am debating trying when it does rain.

I am not concerned about me or my cargo getting wet (good gear will mitigate that). My concerns are around safety, specifically:
1. Roads being more slick when its raining, particularly painted bike lanes, which seem to get more slick when wet then unpainted roads
2. Beyond just roads, there are a number of metal plates (for construction or underground access), yellow crossing things on bike paths, etc that I have to cross daily (I can't avoid them all the way many are in the bike lanes/paths). These have been very slippery when wet (have had some very wet, drizzly commutes due to Fog in San Francisco).
3. Large descent - I have a large decent in my commute both directions - making more more concerned about slick roads.
4. Visability, more so for other drivers seeing me

I can reduce #3 by biking to a ferry instead of biking all the way. Maybe #1 and 2 are not as big a deal as I fear, so curious to hear what others things. What about 4? How does it compare to visibility in the dark?/
1 Yes, caution should be taken when braking and turning. I don't know what the exact type of paint they use in your area;
but if it's the same dull green paint they use here it shouldn't be a problem.

2 Same precaution with white reflective paint, see #1 and video.

3 Brake early, move butt back to give more traction on the rear.

4 Light rain, you really don't have to do anything. In hard rain; it helps to use a baseball cap
or a decent visor on your helmet. Check videos to get an idea for visibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hheUc-zlfiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
Old 10-16-13, 06:08 PM
Nerdanel 
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Life is not a problem as long as you have the right gear.
fify

Old 10-16-13, 06:13 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

I ride to work in the snow, so why wouldn't I ride in liquid snow?

I've ridden in downpours that have flooded parts of the street above my BB. Makin' waves! Passin' drowned cars!
Old 10-16-13, 06:22 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
LOL, tsl -- I remember doing that, spring of '03 -- a street on my route home at the time was flooded over a foot deep; since I knew there weren't big potholes along there, I just rolled through. Every pedal stroke was "SPLOOSH! SPLOOSH!" The fallout of it was that my Deore RD quit a week later, and the Pearl Izumi socks I wore that day stained my ankles black! I smiled about that for a MONTH!

OP, I've been commuting since 2000, and car-free since '04; I've been through several sets of cheaper rain suits, and I'm curious right now to see how long my well-performing Frogg Toggs will last. I've gotten over the primal, hardcore joy that rain riding used to give me, but it's still fun. No WAY, NO HOW, IN HELL, am I skipping riding to work because of a little rain.
Old 10-16-13, 07:10 PM
Rob22315

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, in fact, I did it last Friday which was the last day of a 5 day non-stop rain parade here in DC. The streams and creeks were all overflowing. That trip convinced me to get some SKS raceblade removeable fenders so I could do it again tomorrow. I installed the fenders tonight - they are awesome!!
Old 10-16-13, 07:12 PM
rustjunkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nevah!
I hunker down when it's wet outside; wait it out.
Old 10-16-13, 07:31 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

I've ridden in downpours that have flooded parts of the street above my BB. Makin' waves! Passin' drowned cars!
tsl, has the worst dandruff problem known to men.
Old 10-16-13, 07:48 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
What about the cogs and the derailleurs? And if it rains 3 days in a row?
On my route my bike gets incredibly dirty in just one ride in the rain.

My solution: Power washer. Mud caked to clean in 30 seconds.

I do run with significant rear lighting always, so when it's raining I am OK already. A MagicShine tail (about equivalent to the AA Dinotte rear light) on steady, a Knog Blinder 4V on slow fade/pulse and a Cygolite Hotshot on rapid pulse is my current rear lighting strategy (plus a reflective vest)
Old 10-16-13, 07:50 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WestPablo
Most of my wipeouts have taken place under wet conditions. I now try to avoid the rain.
Apart from two times when I've stupidly held off mounting the studded tires a day too long, the 4 times in my life I've wiped out it's been on loose sand or gravel. I've never wiped out on wet conditions, probably because I'm extra careful when it's wet.
Old 10-16-13, 07:51 PM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

tsl's are obviously bigger than mine. I ride in the rain, but when it gets windy lotsa crap falls out of the trees and Oregon drivers forget how to, or when it gets snowy I climb into my evil SUV.
Old 10-16-13, 10:50 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I ride year round. My commuter bikes are set up for any type of inclement weather. Fenders are a must and studded tires and disk brakes for winter. The way I look at it is that some days are more enjoyable to ride than others.
Old 10-16-13, 10:56 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
It takes me ~1 minute to to spray the muck off my bike and then wipe it down with one of my bike towels.
I'm a little surprised you bother. The only time I clean my rain bike is when I need to re-lube the chain, and even then I only clean as much as need to keep the lube from doing more harm than good.
Old 10-16-13, 11:16 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
My favorite commuting weather is 40-55 F (4-13 C) in moderate rain. It's refreshing and I can power up hills without getting sweaty! I even prefer heavy rain to a warm dry day.

I typically wear a light shell, a jersey, and tights. I really do not understand why people prefer rain-specific clothing. I've always found it to be uncomfortable and smelly.
Exactly. I prefer fast DRYING clothes. Get soaked and then change. I only have a thin jacket that keeps wind and rain out, for those really cold and rainy days. Otherwise I just hang clothes to dry, change into fresh ones, and then change back before going home. Thin, fast drying clothes (microfiber if possible).

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
On my route my bike gets incredibly dirty in just one ride in the rain.

My solution: Power washer. Mud caked to clean in 30 seconds.

I do run with significant rear lighting always, so when it's raining I am OK already. A MagicShine tail (about equivalent to the AA Dinotte rear light) on steady, a Knog Blinder 4V on slow fade/pulse and a Cygolite Hotshot on rapid pulse is my current rear lighting strategy (plus a reflective vest)
My solution is alu frame, alu wheels, SS spokes and Shimano MTB groupo (Acera for the last 3 years). Works sweet in snow, salt, rain - no problems. Just lube it nice. The only things I ever sort of wipe are the seat, handlebars and the chain.

Twice a year (spring and autumn) I also wipe and re-lube derailleur and brake pivots.

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 10-17-13 at 12:34 AM.
Old 10-16-13, 11:29 PM
@Jason

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My biggest issue in the rain is my required eye-glasses, which make it hard to see when wet. How do you all handle that?
Old 10-17-13, 12:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I live on the Northwest Oregon Coast, It's Donning rain-gear, to go out the door, even to get a brewski..

the Pub run..

Cyclist's rain cape FTW.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-17-13 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-17-13, 07:07 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in a temperate rain forest, so if I didn't ride in the rain I would never get to ride at all. Also, no car, so I'd have to skip work that day, and I'd prefer to remain gainfully employed.
Old 10-17-13, 07:10 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by @Jason
My biggest issue in the rain is my required eye-glasses, which make it hard to see when wet. How do you all handle that?
I have prescription Rudy Project Sunglasses, I'm saving up to get clear lenses to wear when it's dark. I use Nikwax Visor Proof on the outside, and it seems to work just fine.
Old 10-17-13, 07:20 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by @Jason
https://www.amazon.com/Daron-Wiper-Gl.../dp/B00BQVZMNC
Old 10-17-13, 07:20 AM
elvez

Bikes: Bmx cruzers, old ATB commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not on purpose.
Old 10-17-13, 07:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,466 Times in 1,434 Posts
I like wearing sandals or sneakers with a thin mesh upper when riding in the rain. This way, my feet get wet but they can dry quickly afterwards. Wool socks are an important part of the mix, because wool stays warm when wet. It also doesn't absorb much water. Same for some synthetics. Cotton socks are the worst.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.