Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

How does one avoid kicking their groceries off of the rear rack.....

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

How does one avoid kicking their groceries off of the rear rack.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 10:17 AM
dmcalloway

Bikes: Manhattan Green city cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question How does one avoid kicking their groceries off of the rear rack.....

....when mounting their bike ?

I lugged groceries home on Thursday, and while another poster had issues keeping his stuff in the basket in the front, I had issues kicking my groceries off of the back rack while mounting the bike. Now, I am looking into Wald collapsible baskets for the permanent/long term solution to this (and/or a stepthru Omafiets 61cm Dutch bike), but in the meantime, is there something I am doing wrong here ?

For those of you who have stepover bike and things on the rear rack, how do you avoid kicking those things off the rack ? I am not super flexible or double-jointed, and I cannot figure this out... please help.
Old 05-16-11, 11:43 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put your leg over the top tube if you can, rather than "kicking around", and with one foot down on the ground put the other foot on the pedal and start this way. This way of starting a loaded bike is also safer, less chances of falling over if your rear end is heavy.
Old 05-16-11, 12:34 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Lean the bike over and put you leg over the top tube, then lean the bike back up.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-16-11, 06:00 PM
tdouglass

Bikes: $20 goodwill special, project bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Lean the bike over and put you leg over the top tube, then lean the bike back up.

Aaron
Assuming your groceries won't fall out when you lean the bike over. This would work in a deep basket, or if the groceries were strapped down well.
Old 05-16-11, 06:34 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by tdouglass
Assuming your groceries won't fall out when you lean the bike over. This would work in a deep basket, or if the groceries were strapped down well.
I don't lean mine far enough for the groceries to fall out, but I also use a cargo net. If you lean the bike and the groceries fall out I would be worried about losing more than a few going over bumps on the way home.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 05-16-11, 06:52 PM
tdouglass

Bikes: $20 goodwill special, project bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha, I know what you mean. Just thought I would throw that out there, I imagined someone leaning their bike over so they don't kick their groceries, just to have the groceries spill onto the sidewalk. lol
Old 05-16-11, 09:18 PM
dmcalloway

Bikes: Manhattan Green city cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdouglass
haha, I know what you mean. Just thought I would throw that out there, I imagined someone leaning their bike over so they don't kick their groceries, just to have the groceries spill onto the sidewalk. lol
Yes, I was concerned about this too. I will try AdamDZ's top tube suggestion next time (instead of aiming at the saddle) and I hope it works.... Once I got everything stable, the ride was actually very smooth. Bike + groceries is definitely workable, as long as I can work out that kink. Thanks all !
Old 05-17-11, 01:05 AM
lapazmike

Bikes: Trek 720 Multi-Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roll the bike over to the sidewalk curb, use same for a step to help get that leg over top of the frame.
Or buy less each time you go to store and make more trips!

Growing up I had a tall horse, (he looked tall to me at the time) and had to lead him to a fence when I wanted to mount up. Got any low fences near the grocery store?
Old 05-17-11, 05:49 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmcalloway
Yes, I was concerned about this too. I will try AdamDZ's top tube suggestion next time (instead of aiming at the saddle) and I hope it works.... Once I got everything stable, the ride was actually very smooth. Bike + groceries is definitely workable, as long as I can work out that kink. Thanks all !
This is actually the safest way to get on any bicycle, loaded or not.

You might want to hold the brake lever while doing that to make sure the bike doesn't move. The only problem with that is if you standover is high it might be difficult to do. So like someone suggested try a curb or something as your "stand". Leaning a top loaded bike sideways is tricky as the rear will have a tendency to fall sideways and if it does such fall is hard to stop if you're not prepared for it.
Old 05-17-11, 04:27 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Silly me: I move me and the bike over to the curb/kerb nearest where I'm hitting the road again and mount from there, with me on the curb/kerb and the bike alongside.
Old 05-17-11, 06:19 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Very few curbs where I ride. In fact I am not sure there are any at the shopping center where the grocery store is located. I will have to check the next time I go. I know there are none directly in front of the store, it has the entire sidewalk ramped to the parking lot. Roads are rural style with a grass shoulder and a drainage ditch.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 05-18-11, 06:16 AM
antonyfhilliard

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I put my left foot on the right pedal, push off a few times to get rolling, put my butt on the seat, then lift my feet up and do a little leg-over while rolling.

What? I never said it was safe...
Old 05-18-11, 08:43 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antonyfhilliard
I put my left foot on the right pedal, push off a few times to get rolling, put my butt on the seat, then lift my feet up and do a little leg-over while rolling.

What? I never said it was safe...
I could never do that. Either your seat is very low or you're very flexible or something else.
Old 05-18-11, 01:02 PM
kevbo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Kick your leg forward over the handlebars. If an old fat guy like me can do it most anyone can. I learned this when we got the tandem. Stoker becomes unhappy when you kick her for some reason.