Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Am I transforming into a hipster?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-13, 09:01 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! I am back two days after buying my first C&V bike . This time around I got some "for the fiancee". She bugs me because she thinks riding C&V is a hipster thing! I believe old roadies are just plain classy and nice. Unlike the Panasonic DX4000 that I recently got, this one needs a little bit of retouch to get it running good.

The bike is a 1984 Lotus Unique (thanks to another forum member for pointing it out). The gears, although in need of little cleaning and lubing, work great and smooth. It has a little bit of patina from storage but no big amounts of rust. The saddle is not great but I will get a brooks for it later. The biggest issue is the wheels. He said their are bent, I believe he meant completely out of true. I am going to give it a shot myself and try to get them to a point that they can actually rotate without touching the pads. That is the only real issue with the bike. It has all original Suntour BL FD, RD, Sugino Crank, Shimano SLR Levers and Dia Compe G500 brake calipers.

It was advertised for $225 and I got it down to $100. In all honesty, was this a good-ok deal? I don't wanna feel like I got ripped off. I know I did great with the panasonic but not sure about this. The bike is very nice looking and my fiancee loves. Between you and me, I am going to use it as a commuter once it is fixed up .

Some pics!

Last edited by lsberrios1; 11-10-13 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 09:03 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Yeah dude you did fine for $100. That leaves a little room to get a decent set of wheels. In my experience once they get that out of true it's better to just get a new set. But then again I can't tell how bad they are from here..
Old 11-10-13, 09:09 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Yeah dude you did fine for $100. That leaves a little room to get a decent set of wheels. In my experience once they get that out of true it's better to just get a new set. But then again I can't tell how bad they are from here..
Great! Thanks for that little piece of mind. I know there is always the "use the search button" thing but can you more or less give me pointers on how to go about wheels in this case? I'm afraid these wheels are kind of no-name... The do have brand new pana racers which look nice.
Old 11-10-13, 09:11 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Great! Thanks for that little piece of mind. I know there is always the "use the search button" thing but can you more or less give me pointers on how to go about wheels in this case? I'm afraid these wheels are kind of no-name... The do have brand new pana racers which look nice.
Are they 27" or 700c?
Old 11-10-13, 09:13 PM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i don't think hipster translates to buying C&V geared. They translate to more of the fixed single speed crowd.

either way $100 is pretty good.
Old 11-10-13, 09:21 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are they 27" or 700c?
They are 27. Weird enough they have absolutely no marking except for the hubs which say "sealed bearings" or something like that.

Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
i don't think hipster translates to buying C&V geared. They translate to more of the fixed single speed crowd.

either way $100 is pretty good.
Not trying to offend anybody in the C&V community. I just have my fiancee bugging me because she thinks buying C&V is hipster .
Old 11-10-13, 09:27 PM
shoota 

They are 27. Weird enough they have absolutely no marking except for the hubs which say "sealed bearings" or something like that.

Not trying to offend anybody in the C&V community. I just have my fiancee bugging me because she thinks buying C&V is hipster .
Well if the brakes can reach 700c wheels then I'd go that route. If the tires are really in good shape then finding a new set of 27" wheels is totally fine too. Don't let your fiancee influence you're thinking. Most of the C&Vers are anything but hipsters.
Old 11-10-13, 09:34 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well if the brakes can reach 700c wheels then I'd go that route. If the tires are really in good shape then finding a new set of 27" wheels is totally fine too. Don't let your fiancee influence you're thinking. Most of the C&Vers are anything but hipsters.
Good thanks! I have a set of RS80s in 700x23c that I can try on the front at least see if it sits.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 11-11-13 at 08:48 AM. Reason: clean up
Old 11-10-13, 09:36 PM
shoota 

Good thanks! I have a set of RS80s in 700x23c that I can try on the front at least see if it sits.
You can check the back too. Just pull open the dropouts to get the rear wheel in.
Old 11-10-13, 09:48 PM
flash2070

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
There is a bike shop close to where I live that is run by hipsters! The owner has some really nice vintage bikes. Awhile back ago I took one of my bikes for tubular work. I was speaking with the owner and I happen to glance at his feet, and I almost busted out laughing as he was wearing a pair of boots that look like the ones worn back in the 1800's by women and skinny jeans! :-) I held it together and went about talking about bikes! :-)

Isberrios1, anything uder $100 is a good deal if the bike is in very good shape like yours, and has nice components. Additionally, I believe those tires run about $30-$40 each if I'm not mistaken! Very good score, as Lotus makes great bikes, and yours seems to be one of them.

Flash

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 11-11-13 at 08:39 AM. Reason: clean up
Old 11-10-13, 09:56 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
The first sign of being a hipster is talking about hipsters, being worried about being a hipster and denying hipsterdom. I like vintage bikes, and I like other people into vintage bikes - skinny jeans or not. I dig both of your rides - my wife's DX-3000 is fantastic and I'm especially fond of Lotus.

You're into vintage bikes - and you bought smart, effective everyday use machines. You may be a hipster, but you're good with me. As far as price - I'd say you paid about the going rate for a solid Japanese bike in need of some TLC - actually about 25-50 under. You got a good project at a fair price that's going to make a great everyday rider. Are you and/or the wife going to get $100 of happiness from it? I'd bet the answer is yes. So...congrats and welcome!
Old 11-10-13, 09:58 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flash2070
There is a bike shop close to where I live that is run by hipsters! The owner has some really nice vintage bikes. Awhile back ago I took one of my bikes for tubular work. I was speaking with the owner and I happen to glance at his feet, and I almost busted out laughing as he was wearing a pair of boots that look like the ones worn back in the 1800's by women and skinny jeans! :-) I held it together and went about talking about bikes! :-)

Isberrios1, anything uder $100 is a good deal if the bike is in very good shape like yours, and has nice components. Additionally, I believe those tires run about $30-$40 each if I'm not mistaken! Very good score, as Lotus makes great bikes, and yours seems to be one of them.

Flash
Sweet! 3 of 3. I now have the BF C&V certificate of approval on the lotus . He told me tires themselves were brand new and I was pretty much paying for the tires when I gave him the bill. Nice guy, can't complain. He had it for 20+ years and said he put about 10k miles on it!

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 11-11-13 at 08:40 AM. Reason: clean up
Old 11-10-13, 10:06 PM
lsberrios1 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
The first sign of being a hipster is talking about hipsters, being worried about being a hipster and denying hipsterdom. I like vintage bikes, and I like other people into vintage bikes - skinny jeans or not. I dig both of your rides - my wife's DX-3000 is fantastic and I'm especially fond of Lotus.

You're into vintage bikes - and you bought smart, effective everyday use machines. You may be a hipster, but you're good with me. As far as price - I'd say you paid about the going rate for a solid Japanese bike in need of some TLC - actually about 25-50 under. You got a good project at a fair price that's going to make a great everyday rider. Are you and/or the wife going to get $100 of happiness from it? I'd bet the answer is yes. So...congrats and welcome!

Thank you! Love them both. Good thing is the lotus fits her and me . Poor roubaix is sitting in the dark getting no attention .

So here they are all in their glory!

Old 11-10-13, 10:07 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
and you can check off the majority of these boxes

then you're a hipster
You forgot the PBR. I'm not sure what it is about PBR, although I notice a lot of people fitting this description also drink craft beer... usually a hoppy IPA.
Old 11-10-13, 10:52 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I do have a few check boxes marked...

Old 11-10-13, 10:56 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
Congrats on the Lotus and the Panasonic...glad that one worked out for you.

Spoke wrenches are pretty cheap, so you might buy a set (3), check very carefully which fit the spoke nipples on the Lotus' wheels, read up on technique (St Sheldon), then try the rough truing method of simply using the brake pads as a feelers and trying to get it in close. This takes time and patience, and you're sure to get things backwards at least once, but it might work for you, and it's an easy way to determine if the wheel has any chance at getting true. This really only works for lateral truing (side to side), not radial (in vs out from the hub) which is harder but perhaps less critical.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 11-10-13, 11:02 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Those are three outstanding bikes. Very tastefully chosen. The Lotuses were really nice. Both of you will love it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-10-13, 11:10 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
You scored well on those Lotus and Panasonic bikes!
Old 11-11-13, 12:00 AM
leicanthrope

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Nah, you're fine. Trust me. I live amongst a veritable nest of hipsters down here. If it has at least one derailleur, and nothing about the bike is consciously intended to be ironic, then you have nothing to worry about.

Just remember, you were a retrogrouch ​before it was cool.

Last edited by leicanthrope; 11-11-13 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Spllelling
Old 11-11-13, 01:20 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lenton58
WHEW! I scored 71/2 out of 12 or 66%. I passed — not a hipster.[/LIST]

I think i scored a negative five
Old 11-11-13, 01:29 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
YUMMY! That "Pana" is gorgeous!
Old 11-11-13, 07:19 AM
Snydermann
Lotus Monomaniac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That Unique is a quality bike and $100.00 was a great deal, even if it does have some issues.

Don't be so quick to ditch those wheels. The original rims were Ukai alloy 27 x 1 with Suntour sealed bearing hubs. The original Ukai rims were only marked with a small decal, which could be long gone. That bike was designed with a quality wheel set, it's one thing that made it one-step above the popular Lotus Excelle.

That Violet-Blue color looks particularly beautiful when it's clean and in the sun, I'm sure your girlfriend will be pleased. Lotus advertised the bike as, "A wise choice for the average adult recreational rider more inclined towards sport riding for fitness and fun."

The Excelle was Lotus' most popular bike, one reason for that is because it was designed to meet a specific price point ($300.00). The Unique is what the Excelle would have been if price didn't matter as much (hitting that under-$300.00 mark). The Unique got all the good features Lotus couldn't afford to put on the Excelle. I like to think of the Unique as the Excelle's prettier, sportier sister.

Attached Images
Old 11-11-13, 07:22 AM
gregaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you! Love them both. Good thing is the lotus fits her and me . Poor roubaix is sitting in the dark getting no attention .

So here they are all in their glory!
I REALLY like the Lotus! Well done for $100!
Old 11-11-13, 08:45 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
I did a lot of clean up of posts that seemed to be intent on insulting the hipster culture. We have to remember that this is a place that accepts diversity and targeting a group will not be tolerated. Short of shutting this thread down or sending it to where most of our hipsters post, I decided to ask you all to be focused on the topic at hand rather than making fun of or insulting others.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Last edited by Siu Blue Wind; 11-11-13 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 10:37 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Great score, lsberrios1! I can't think of anything I'd change on that Lotus except perhaps the saddle if it doesn't agree with you.

Thanks for the clean-up, too, Siu. It's one thing for groups to poke good-natured fun at each other, but I don't get the outright hate for hipsters that some have.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.