Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket gets loose every 3 or 4 turns

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bottom Bracket gets loose every 3 or 4 turns

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-21, 08:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
If the threads have gotten sloppy, sometimes a few wraps of teflon plumber's tape around the threads can be enough to hold the cup securely. Failing that, a threadless cartridge can be a cost-effective fix. If the shell is English or metric thread (French or Swiss), it can be reamed and tapped with Italian thread and a standard Italian thread bottom bracket or cartridge can be installed.
Old 05-21-21, 09:23 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
Well, everybody was pretty much spot on about this! Components pretty much trashed, the worst being the fixed side cup. That cup was not completely loose, but it was not as tight as it should have been it came loose with very little effort. Sure enough, the spindle had been reversed by the LBS, with the short side on the rings. It had caged 9 count bearings, properly installed, with some just falling out of the cages upon disassembly. Good news it the cranks are OK, the BB shell is good with all threads in fine shape.

Debating about trying to stay vintage or just get a cartridge, standard English size and threads, seems to be 124.5mm spindle. I don't think I need to worry about the offset on the spindle since the bike seemed to run just fine with the thing reversed!
Vintage knowledgeable bike shops are scarce in your town.
Old 05-21-21, 09:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Are the bearings caged? I had similar problems with a Sugino BB when I put the caged bearings in facing the wrong way ...
^Absolutely this.
Old 05-21-21, 11:36 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
If I could get the assembly and front derailer to work right with everything having needed clearance and the front derailer downshifting well, I would definitely use the short spindle offset on the drive side myself.

But better yet would be a shorter spindle, installed right-side-right.

So was it worn parts that caused it to loosen? No excuse though for a fixed cup not heavily tightened! Maybe the shop didn't even remove the fixed cup and didn't even apply tightening torque to make sure it was tight(?).

Many if not most Japanese bikes I've bought almost certainly did not have their fixed cup tightened securely from the factory. These would not back out while riding, but instead would loosen just enough to go on clicking forever as the fixed cup moved back and forth slightly. Again, this seems almost universal when the bikes started seeing serious use by this lightweight rider. And these were bikes that I bought in little-used condition, not having been serviced ever.
Old 05-24-21, 09:27 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
I've one last query for you fine folks, my parts are coming in and i am wondering how much to lube the threads when I put stuff back together. It seems like things need to be tight and stay tight, but at the same time I want to be able to get this apart again in the future. My new crank are bolts look like they have a drop of blue Loctite already in place...
Old 05-24-21, 09:56 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
I've one last query for you fine folks, my parts are coming in and i am wondering how much to lube the threads when I put stuff back together. It seems like things need to be tight and stay tight, but at the same time I want to be able to get this apart again in the future. My new crank are bolts look like they have a drop of blue Loctite already in place...
All threads get greased thoroughly, to exclude water entry.
Just put some on both mating parts and any excess just squishes out, no biggie.
Likes For dddd:
Old 05-24-21, 10:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
An observation that probably doesn't apply, but still ...

The direction of the forces generated by pedaling are reversed by the ball bearings. This means the forces on the cup are generated in a clockwise direction on the left, NDS side and counterclockwise on the DS. So, most of the bottom bracket manufacturers and framebuilders use a standard of right hand, self-tightening threads on the left, NDS and left-hand threads on the right.

But! If the bearings aren't doing their job of spinning freely, they aren't reversing the force direction and guess what? Your mighty quads are now unscrewing the cups!
Likes For 79pmooney: