Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Saddle Angle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Saddle Angle

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-23, 12:22 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
Which seatposts have good tilt adjustability?
Any post that has two bolts, arrayed front-to-back, clamping the rails will have every fine tilt adjustment, There are quite a few out there meeting that description, but they typically have zero to very small rear setback. I need lots of saddle clamp setback so these are what I’ve appreciated:

I love my early-version of the VO Long Setback post (can’t see the bolts here but they’re both behind the post tube, straddling the rail camp pivot)

Before that, I appreciated American Classic posts that use a large clamping bolt, ahead of a smaller tilt limiter set screw. That set screw is clear in this shot:
P
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 08-29-23, 12:31 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Any post that has two bolts, arrayed front-to-back, clamping the rails will have every fine tilt adjustment, There are quite a few out there meeting that description,...
Be careful about that. There are a lot but not all qualify. If you want them to be older C&V, they are even fewer: as in, one - Campagnolo. Well, maybe,... didn't Simplex make one with clamping "wings" toward the rear?

I have seen two-bolt seat posts that had hidden indexing teeth which render it no better than a cheap steel seat clamp.
Old 08-29-23, 09:57 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Any post that has two bolts, arrayed front-to-back, clamping the rails will have every fine tilt adjustment, There are quite a few out there meeting that description, but they typically have zero to very small rear setback. I need lots of saddle clamp setback so these are what I’ve appreciated:

I love my early-version of the VO Long Setback post (can’t see the bolts here but they’re both behind the post tube, straddling the rail camp pivot)

Before that, I appreciated American Classic posts that use a large clamping bolt, ahead of a smaller tilt limiter set screw. That set screw is clear in this shot:
P
Thanks! At least now I have an idea what to look for, even if it's a choice between pricey and pricier... After the sticker shock subsides I'll have to look for one.
Old 08-29-23, 11:16 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
What about this seatpost? Anybody know if this is any good?
Used raceface xy0
Old 08-29-23, 11:48 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
That doesn't look low to me, just the standard 1~2 inches below saddle height which is the norm for a road bike setup. This is how the cool kids are riding nowadays:

Personally I like my touring bike with the saddle level and my road bike the same as yours.
it seem to me is that with the grips on modern brakes and shifters people spend less time in the drops so so there is more drop to get to a similar position when on the brakes

or there are just way more flexible

Old 08-29-23, 11:59 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
not to forget, riding position will make a difference

on my bike where I sit up straight the B17 is tilted up ever so ever so slightly

in my bikes with drop bars the Swift is level and the Berthoud tilts down a smidge

Old 08-29-23, 12:46 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Level. Bike saddles should always be level.

Always.
Likes For smd4:
Old 08-29-23, 02:52 PM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
it seem to me is that with the grips on modern brakes and shifters people spend less time in the drops so so there is more drop to get to a similar position when on the brakes

or there are just way more flexible
I don't race nor modern anything so I exist in a different world than racer oriented magazines with their equipment fatwas.

My touring bike setup has a looooong geometry, with the saddle way back conductive to my preferred lower cadence/harder pedaling. When in town I may spend a lot of my time on the top side of the handlebars, it is not likely I can go fast enough to take advantage to an aero position. When on the open road I would be on the drops for efficiency in fighting the wind. The Brooks saddle (not the choice of most racers) is either level or slightly up. I don't need a magazine to tell me what's best, it got there after doing many 70-mile rides and adjusting until it was perfect.

One last bit; you know you have your drops dialed in when you can let go of them and don't feel like you are falling down; the position should not be such that you are propping your weight up while on them. That's an invitation for some nasty shoulder blade pain around mile 50.
Likes For abdon:
Old 08-29-23, 06:08 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My saddles are all a little nose down. Actual setting comes after riding with the wrenches and tweaking until it disappears. For me, no plastic saddle has never achieved "disappearing" set level. (Leather saddles are for me a near torture when I pull forward onto the hard leather on steel nose. And as an ex-racer who loved and still does using the entire saddle, that simply does not work.

Went for a 44 mile ride yesterday on an early '80s race bike with a hard Specialized race saddle aimed slightly down. This post is the first time I thought about the saddle at all.
Mine are all a little nose up. I start with it level and pedal it sitting with my back straight. At this moment I'm lookig for my hips to pedal smoothly without rocking side to side, and for my hips not to slide forward or back wards. If I need to raise the nose to prevent sliding forward, or to lower it to prevent sliding backwards, there will usually need to a small vertical height adjustment as well to restore correct pressure on the sitbones and perineum.

For me those are the basics of saddle position adjustment. That sequence has worked well for me for Brooks Pro, B17, Swallow, Ideale 90, 92, and 80, Specialized Alias, and Toupe.

Try it, but don't let any of the trials go long enough to cause significant pain, especially due to abrasion. If you have abrasion, you will have to tay off th bike and let that heal before you can go back to incrementally adjusting you saddle position. You may find there is such a thing as "easy discomfort" and "very hard discomfort." That could be another learning experience.
Old 08-29-23, 06:17 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by rgvg
Which seatposts have good tilt adjustability?
Campagnolo two-bolt, Nitto S-83 and S-84 two-bolt, Thomson Elite, bent, or Masterpiece, and most other two-bolt saddles. Several others can be good with a smaller rang of motion, such as the American Classic post. There are others, in a variety of different designs. In general I reject toothed adjustment seat posts and those with one adjuster bolt.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 08-29-23, 10:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Mine are all a little nose up. I start with it level and pedal it sitting with my back straight. At this moment I'm lookig for my hips to pedal smoothly without rocking side to side, and for my hips not to slide forward or back wards. If I need to raise the nose to prevent sliding forward, or to lower it to prevent sliding backwards, there will usually need to a small vertical height adjustment as well to restore correct pressure on the sitbones and perineum.

For me those are the basics of saddle position adjustment. That sequence has worked well for me for Brooks Pro, B17, Swallow, Ideale 90, 92, and 80, Specialized Alias, and Toupe.

Try it, but don't let any of the trials go long enough to cause significant pain, especially due to abrasion. If you have abrasion, you will have to tay off th bike and let that heal before you can go back to incrementally adjusting you saddle position. You may find there is such a thing as "easy discomfort" and "very hard discomfort." That could be another learning experience.
No, I am not trying a level or tipped back seat because I know exactly what it will do. Yes, take weight off my hands and stop the (minor) tendency to slide forward. It will also have me tipping my pelvis back to take pressure of my soft parts or pay the price; both during the ride and after. That tipped pelvis means I cannot abdominal breath as effectively. Now I could then bring ,my bars up and/or back and solve both the weight on hands and reduced oxygen uptake, but at the cost of this lightweight, totally non-aero and low powered leaf laboring harder to go fast or upwind. In my book, totally not OK.

So I adjust my seats to get the position I want in comfort, then address seriously my hand comfort. End result? I can ride all day in comfort and if I have to spend real time upwind; well it's as good as I can make it.
Old 08-29-23, 10:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Campagnolo two-bolt, Nitto S-83 and S-84 two-bolt, Thomson Elite, bent, or Masterpiece, and most other two-bolt saddles. Several others can be good with a smaller rang of motion, such as the American Classic post. There are others, in a variety of different designs. In general I reject toothed adjustment seat posts and those with one adjuster bolt.
I managed to get a Laprade set between clicks many years ago on my Mooney (after my two bolt Avocet broke). Didn't touch it for many years knowing I had achieved the unobtainable. (The dark ages when one-bolt posts ruled, the famous Campy NR was discontinued and out of my budget anyway and the internet was yet to be useful.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-30-23, 06:22 AM
Road Fan

I managed to get a Laprade set between clicks many years ago on my Mooney (after my two bolt Avocet broke). Didn't touch it for many years knowing I had achieved the unobtainable. (The dark ages when one-bolt posts ruled, the famous Campy NR was discontinued and out of my budget anyway and the internet was yet to be useful.)
Well, if you accomplished that, you are Da Man! I was always thinking about filing out a tooth into being a notch.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 08-30-23, 08:14 AM
Road Fan

No, I am not trying a level or tipped back seat because I know exactly what it will do. Yes, take weight off my hands and stop the (minor) tendency to slide forward. It will also have me tipping my pelvis back to take pressure of my soft parts or pay the price; both during the ride and after. That tipped pelvis means I cannot abdominal breath as effectively. Now I could then bring ,my bars up and/or back and solve both the weight on hands and reduced oxygen uptake, but at the cost of this lightweight, totally non-aero and low powered leaf laboring harder to go fast or upwind. In my book, totally not OK.

So I adjust my seats to get the position I want in comfort, then address seriously my hand comfort. End result? I can ride all day in comfort and if I have to spend real time upwind; well it's as good as I can make it.
I've also been in this long enough to know that I can't solve all the problems individually or immediately - the best riding position I can find pretty much eliminates perineal abrasion and lower back pain, and keeps my body weight balanced above the BB axis - those are the priorities. I don't just "tilt up (or down) the saddle." I edge the nose up or down just a little bit at a time until it feels right, then I ride a bit to see if it needs a height adjustment, then double check the tilt again, iterating as necessary. Once these points are set I can adjust bar tilt and stem height, and sometimes bar reach if I have enough spare stems in The Box. I usually can't feel bar reach errors until I've been back on the bike for an hour or so, anyway. So, I was trying to convey a little of the techniques combined with a sort of orderly iteration I use to achieve my balance. I find the same process works for a wide range of different saddles I've used.

While I phrased my advice as a universal, I know it is not that way for all of us, at least not my statements about saddle position. I just wanted to communicate some of the basics of height versus angle, because there was a lot of talk about just getting the tilt, or just the height, and not talking about how two variables (and additional variables) might affect each other. You are clearly the expert on your own fit. As I come back from Covid I'll again become the expert on my fitting, but meanwhile I have my methodology for setting up, and I can share that with others.
Old 08-30-23, 09:33 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Some of mine at a glance look nose up a bit, but where my sit bones actually end up is dead level.
Old 08-30-23, 04:19 PM
pwert

Bikes: Trek 720, Lemond, Technium, Bianchi, Nishiki, Specialized Hard Rock(3), Trek 7000, Giant Sedona, Gary Fisher Momba, Schwinn Circut, Voyager+8, Panasonic, Mongoose 850, Fila, 20" Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Leave it flat and get up on you feet. The saddle is just there to keep the seat post clean when you go over a bump.
Old 08-30-23, 05:33 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Some saddles are designed to be tilted down, Selle SMP, for example, specifies setting the saddle level initially but states a rider might prefer a tilt in the range of +10/-25 degrees. 'Always flat' is not a universally valid rule.

WRT 2 bolt micro-adjustable seatposts, there used to be a range of copies of the Campi post. Zeus comes to mind. Mine is the 'Arius' brand. It's no work of art, but it has worked since I installed it in 1981. Probably Spanish. The brand has got to be a reference to the Arius who lost out to Athanasius at Nicea 2000 years ago, although the battle raged on for a while. I wonder what the branding gurus think of that.