Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Converting Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon to drop bars

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-16, 07:58 PM
Michael Novo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I enjoy riding the bike a lot. Every other day I put on 20-25 miles and average between 15-16mph (I do understand it's not about the speed).

As I become more fit and comfortable on the bike I find myself using the bar ends more and leaning down. I'm thinking about converting the bike to drop bars and was wondering if that's a practical or realistic thought on this model / frame.

It's a nice bike, I ride mostly flats or mild rolling hills in Illinois. If this is doable, before I head to LBS I wanted to educate myself a bit more. Has anyone done this on this bike or the 9R frame? I presume I'll need the bars, shifters and levers. Suggestions what to look at?
Old 04-17-16, 08:14 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The main problem is drop bars rarely work well on flat bar bikes.

If you have the itch to ride a drop bar bike, it might be better to buy one that suits your riding abilities.
Old 04-17-16, 08:34 PM
Michael Novo

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Why don't they work well? I assume it's the frame that's not ideal? When I got this bike I think I recalled the LBS saying that it's the same frame as one of their road bike lines. It also came with some adapter if I was to change the bars I believe.
Old 04-17-16, 09:08 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Novo
Why don't they work well? I assume it's the frame that's not ideal? When I got this bike I think I recalled the LBS saying that it's the same frame as one of their road bike lines. It also came with some adapter if I was to change the bars I believe.
A flat bar bike generally has a longer top tube relative to the head tube than a road bike. And a conversion can be expensive because you need to buy bars and brifters and there are the installation costs. Sure you could convert it but before you go ahead, try out a drop bar bike at your LBS and see how it feels. If you still want to go ahead, see if it works for you on your Sirrus Carbon Comp. But test out an equivalent drop bar Specialized Roubaix to see if its worth it.
Old 04-18-16, 02:10 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you have the sirrus comp carbon 13-14 models then its all ok. Those year Specialized used the Roubaix frame on the sirrus carbon bikes. If your lucky like me an have the 14 mod you also get Roubaix frame with disc breakes.
I was at my lbs and asked the price for putting drops on it and the cost with parts and work was close too 850-950$
to much for me, and still like it a lot as it is
Old 04-18-16, 04:20 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Do it!!!! I love seeing people spend money. Make sure you post it once you've finished.
Old 04-18-16, 06:42 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
It can be done, but it mostly comes down to the cost of replacing the stem, bars, bar tape, brake levers and shifters, at bike shop rather than internet prices. At full retail from the bike shop plus labor and you are looking at maybe $500 plus. Unless you are sufficiently confident in your mechanic skills to do the work yourself, in which case maybe it can be done for the cost of these items, which will come to, maybe $300 or $350 for the parts at internet prices. (the brifters make up the majority of the expense)

Just curious. Why didn't you go with a drop bar road bike to start with, if that is what you thought you wanted? Did someone at the bike shop make some representation that a conversion to drop bars would be easy or cheap?
Old 04-18-16, 08:36 AM
Michael Novo

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Do it!!!! I love seeing people spend money. Make sure you post it once you've finished.
Well it's much cheaper than selling the current bike at a loss and purchasing a new bike for more money
Old 04-18-16, 09:17 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
I enjoy riding the bike a lot. Every other day I put on 20-25 miles and average between 15-16mph (I do understand it's not about the speed).

As I become more fit and comfortable on the bike I find myself using the bar ends more and leaning down. I'm thinking about converting the bike to drop bars and was wondering if that's a practical or realistic thought on this model / frame.

It's a nice bike, I ride mostly flats or mild rolling hills in Illinois. If this is doable, before I head to LBS I wanted to educate myself a bit more. Has anyone done this on this bike or the 9R frame? I presume I'll need the bars, shifters and levers. Suggestions what to look at?
You could try something like a Soma Oxford handlebar and invert it so that the bars drop 52mm and you would then be able to use your existing gear and brake levers.

If you find this isn't close enough to what you want, then you could go the full hog and get a dropbar, brifters etc.

Soma Oxford Handlebar

Attached Images
File Type: gif
Soma Oxford.gif (7.4 KB, 161 views)
Old 04-18-16, 09:35 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Well it's much cheaper than selling the current bike at a loss and purchasing a new bike for more money
Maybe not.
Old 04-18-16, 10:13 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,192 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Maybe not.
Agree.

OP, you mention "9r frame", so I'm assuming you have a '15 or '16 model? If so, the cost of the conversion would be silly and the geometry wrong. You would need bars, brifters, and brakes. If you wait, you'd be able to sub in the new Tiagra 10 speed hydraulic brifters/brakes, but even that won't be inexpensive. If you don't want to wait, you'd have to convert everything to 11 speed (105 or Ultegra level).

So it's physically possible, but why bother? If your Sirrus fits you correctly now, it will -- even with a silly-short stem -- not fit you properly with drop bars. If you want drop bars, buy a bike designed for them.
Old 04-18-16, 10:25 AM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
You could try something like a Soma Oxford handlebar and invert it so that the bars drop 52mm and you would then be able to use your existing gear and brake levers.

If you find this isn't close enough to what you want, then you could go the full hog and get a dropbar, brifters etc.

Soma Oxford Handlebar

Could be set up like a moustache bar and it isn't too expensive since you only need to swap bars and not buy brifters, etc. And that is generally cheap to do.
Old 04-18-16, 10:28 AM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Agree.

OP, you mention "9r frame", so I'm assuming you have a '15 or '16 model? If so, the cost of the conversion would be silly and the geometry wrong. You would need bars, brifters, and brakes. If you wait, you'd be able to sub in the new Tiagra 10 speed hydraulic brifters/brakes, but even that won't be inexpensive. If you don't want to wait, you'd have to convert everything to 11 speed (105 or Ultegra level).

So it's physically possible, but why bother? If your Sirrus fits you correctly now, it will -- even with a silly-short stem -- not fit you properly with drop bars. If you want drop bars, buy a bike designed for them.
Agreed. A conversion is more trouble than its worth. You can't fix the geometry with stem and a drop bar change so as I advised OP, if he wants a drop bar bike, then he should buy a drop bar bike. Few hassles to get the bike he wants.
Old 04-18-16, 10:40 AM
Jimbo47

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is a good example of why you should try out several bikes before you buy. It goes a long way in preventing buyers remorse.
Old 04-18-16, 10:42 AM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders

Soma Oxford Handlebar

This setup has the advantage of going back to flat bar easily anytime. I used a FSA Metropolis bar for a couple of years but decided to go back to flat bar recently and the switch was very easy. One thing to note is that switching to this type of bar from flat bar may require longer cables and cable adjustment.
Old 04-18-16, 10:56 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,003 Times in 488 Posts
Aside from the technical aspect of a drop conversion, I'd say you may just work on your postion and core muscles. Flat back is a valid position for flats, and not exclusive to drop bars.

Your elbows should be bent at all times yet with very little weight on the bars, this requires fairly strong core muscles. Try keeping your forearms parallel to the ground when climbing

You are getting used to the proper position for a bicycle (flat back,) regardless of bar shape. I don't see an urgent need for a drop conversion
Old 04-18-16, 03:52 PM
Michael Novo

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbo47
This is a good example of why you should try out several bikes before you buy. It goes a long way in preventing buyers remorse.
I did actually try many bikes out and do not have buyers remorse. But I have put about 1000-1200 miles on the bike since I got it towards the end of last riding season. I tried road bikes and just didn't like them then but I think it was something to grow into. For me it was just a matter of getting into it over time and figuring out what I like.
Old 04-18-16, 03:59 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are more problems with simply putting different bars on a bike.

First is that I think you have hydraulic brakes. So brake levers for the drop bar will be expensive. Flat bar levers are not compatible with drop bars due to a different width, among other things. You'd also need different shifters, and you will probably run into compatibility issues. You'd also need a different stem.
Old 04-18-16, 07:05 PM
Michael Novo

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I think after reading the responses it seems like it's best to ride the bike a bit more, get more comfy and then just upgrade to a proper road bike. Appreciate everyone for the responses!
Old 04-22-16, 10:11 AM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
I think after reading the responses it seems like it's best to ride the bike a bit more, get more comfy and then just upgrade to a proper road bike. Appreciate everyone for the responses!
If you hang out long enough in this forum, there is this thing called "N+1". It seems that symptoms of this are showing up here...
Old 04-22-16, 10:53 AM
Michael Novo

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
If you hang out long enough in this forum, there is this thing called "N+1". It seems that symptoms of this are showing up here...
I do N+1-1 I just keep one old mountain bike for the street to ride around on and then sell the old ones as the new ones come in