Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike Light for Vintage Build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24, 03:12 PM
Rr.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey folks!

I have a 1980 Nishiki International that I've converted to fixed gear. I'm looking for LED front and rear riding lights that will fit with the aesthetic.

What lights do y'all use on your vintage builds?

RR
Likes For Rr.:
Old 02-04-24, 03:20 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I just strap on my rechargeable lights.
Better for motorists to see you, than trying for style points.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 02-04-24, 03:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Rr.
Hey folks!

I have a 1980 Nishiki International that I've converted to fixed gear. I'm looking for LED front and rear riding lights that will fit with the aesthetic.

RR
Good ones, don't worry about the aesthetics on this, there were arguably very, very few effective, robust, even ok looking vintage lights.

You could go with the smallest ones like Bontrager Ion Flare so they are a bit more inconspicuous but I encourage you to get good ones.

I run multiple lights front and rear, cameras too, helmet and GPS 24/7, 365, period.

Any one of these can win the 1 or 10 million $ lawsuit if things go wrong regardless of laws pertaining to such.

Last edited by merziac; 02-04-24 at 03:48 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-04-24, 03:39 PM
Rr.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
I just strap on my rechargeable lights.
Better for motorists to see you, than trying for style points.
Fair. I'm curious if there's something out there that uses modern technology (rechargeable LED), but also goes nicely with a vintage build.
Old 02-04-24, 04:01 PM
DanBikeFan

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
What about the lamps by Kiley? I haven't use them myself, but they look very nice. From what I can figure out of the website text, the LM-018 was designed with your needs in mind. Not cheap though...
Old 02-04-24, 04:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by Rr.
Fair. I'm curious if there's something out there that uses modern technology (rechargeable LED), but also goes nicely with a vintage build.

https://www.amazon.com/GOODKSSOP-Cla...7084245&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Bicyc...5&sr=8-16&th=1

I don't use these but just searched for vintage looking LED light or something. I have an old NyteRyder I use if I ride at night.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 02-04-24 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-04-24, 07:22 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
https://www.amazon.com/GOODKSSOP-Cla...7084245&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Bicyc...5&sr=8-16&th=1

I don't use these but just searched for vintage looking LED light or something. I have an old NyteRyder I use if I ride at night.
I bought one of those vintage looking LED lights a few years back. You could see it from a mile away but it threw absolutely no useable light on the road. I use a CREE 5 LED rechargeable light I got off Ebay right after that for actual night riding. The light itself is small with a quick release handlebar mount and a remote battery pack I store it in a handlebar bag with the battery when not in use. It has a high and low beam and a strobe function, I have had cars flash their high beams at me on low beam! I use 2 small red LEDs that strap to the seat stays on the rear, I put one on constant on one stay and the other on strobe on the other stay at a different level. They can easily be moved from bike to bike.
Old 02-04-24, 08:16 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
I can make you a deal on a lightly used Belt Beacon, utilizing that fancy "incandescent" technology!

otherwise, just find a LED light that's small and unobtrusive.
I've been using some little Cateye lights that use a AA cell.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 02-04-24, 08:21 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Old 02-04-24, 09:19 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
A good period correct light would be a Wonderlight flashlight/headlight. I must have bought at least four of them for my bikes in the 80's.
It was very popular in the early to mid 80's because the light had a plastic clamp-on bracket that easily mounts on to your handlebar and can fully be removed in seconds from the bike.
IIRC, it might have been made in France. The problem might be the batteries which from my recollection were proprietary to the light. I doubt if they are still available. A bit of .modification to the battery compartment might be neccessary to adapt modern batteries into the light.The brightness of the then, common incandescent bulb leaves a lot to be desired too. There should be equivalent LED replacement bulbs available that would be much brighter.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 02-05-24, 07:03 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
As @Chombi1 says, a lot of the lights available in the 70's were not that great (such as that Wonder headlight) and had some odd details.
Here's the page from a 1980 Bike Warehouse catalog showing the Wonder headlight, the Belt Beacon, and the familiar white/red light that straps to an arm or leg...

Personally, when I think of vintage lights that look good, I'm thinking more of the aluminum or chromed lights that were used on touring or randonneuring bikes... which makes sense, as they are the ones that get ridden at night.
I've still got my old Jos block dynamo, which is a nice, small light. Not at all bright by modern standards, though.

Peter Weigle's flickr pages show some of the neat old vintage lights....

a lovely Ducheron rando bike:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/15704515395/

a JOS 431c headlight:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/4682149829/

and another photo by Mr. Weigle, of a catalog page, a business card, and the JOS headlight....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/8568277307/

The only modern light(s) that I'm familiar with are the Schmidt Edelux lights that are built from aluminum. They are dynamo lights, which isn't a surprise, and use a LED and excellent optics.
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/headlights/edelux-2/

B&M has a dynamo light with a vintage look too. No idea how it compares to the Edelux.
https://www.perennialcycle.com/busch...headlight.html

I have vague memories of a battery powered light with similar aesthetics, but don't recall any details.

Personally, I'm tinkering with retro-fitting LEDs into my old Jos dynamo light, and hope that it can be a guide for others to upgrade some of their vintage lights with better performance. It would be nice to see some of the really cool old lights be used again instead of just gathering dust on a shelf.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 02-05-24, 07:32 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBikeFan
What about the lamps by Kiley? I haven't use them myself, but they look very nice. From what I can figure out of the website text, the LM-018 was designed with your needs in mind. Not cheap though...
Kiley lights are great and perfect for vintage bikes. I have their rechargeable LED “silver bullet” style headlight on my & my wife’s randonneur bikes. They look perfect and are very bright. At around $100 a piece they aren’t cheap, but there is no alternative that makes such a classy-looking light that’s also rechargeable LED.

I buy mine direct from Kiley’s Japanese website because they are often out of stock at other online retailers. Shipping takes around two weeks. https://kiley-japan.com/en-us/products/lm-018

as a cheap alternative, the Chinese dollar stores in my neighborhood sell old-time style flashlights, the type made from shiny silver metal with ridges, that use LED lights and batteries. They look the part but are fairly heavy since they use C or D batteries. Example:
Old 02-05-24, 09:10 AM
DanBikeFan

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Love the Chinese dollar store solution--it really looks similar to the old French flashlights on Herse and other randonneur bikes. Super cool!
If you want to pay much more for a similar look, this is also available:
Kimura lighting
I'm sure the quality is outstanding.
Old 02-05-24, 09:19 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Get a modern helmet mount light since I assume your helmet is modern…won’t affect the aesthetics of the bike and you can use on multiple bikes.
Old 02-05-24, 09:46 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Pretty sure I have a Schwinn-Approved version of that WL-TB in one of my parts boxes; the OP is welcome to it, but IIRC it puts out about the same number of lumens as taping some fireflies to your head tube.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
As @Chombi1 says, a lot of the lights available in the 70's were not that great (such as that Wonder headlight) and had some odd details.
Here's the page from a 1980 Bike Warehouse catalog showing the Wonder headlight, the Belt Beacon, and the familiar white/red light that straps to an arm or leg...

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 02-05-24, 09:54 AM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBikeFan
Love the Chinese dollar store solution--it really looks similar to the old French flashlights on Herse and other randonneur bikes. Super cool!
If you want to pay much more for a similar look, this is also available:
Kimura lighting
I'm sure the quality is outstanding.
Worth noting on the Chinese dollar store flashlight - it's attached to the front rack using a two-piece mount that doesn't come with it. The front is a locking clamp and the rear is held with a spring tension clip. It bolts to the rack. These mounts can be hard to find. Not expensive (maybe $25-45) but rare. There's some eBay right now.

Good call on the Kimura lights; I wasn't aware of those before. This one is quite nice, about $100 with shipping. It's designed to bolt right to the rack, which save you the need for an additional mounting clamp, but would also make it kind of hard to remove from the rack when you're on the road. https://cyclesgrandbois.com/SHOP/kimura_LH11C.html

Old 02-05-24, 11:14 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Busch & Muller has a few very classic-looking models. If you're open to running a little bit of wiring, a dynohub would eliminate the need to recharge them, too.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dyna...einwerfer.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 02-06-24, 09:47 AM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
If you are contemplating a flashlight, go with a DKG (they are still around) mount for a maglite which can be converted to led…some probably are but I haven’t looked. You have an 80s bike and these came out in 80s…here is one I have on my 86 Rodriguez tandem…I had the matching but no longer available seat post mount too but some a$$#ole stole my wife’s Brooks pro, Suntour XC seatpost and the light when parked at our Paso hotel following Eroica a few years back. Still chaps my hide…they stole our Scott cantilevers too.
Old 02-06-24, 11:18 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Arrrggghh!, see the Binda Extra toe straps for just 6.95 in that Bike Warehouse old ad page??! They're now ike close to $100 in NOS condition at Ebay, minimum, these days! The Wonderlights were a very cheap, less than 5 bucks each!
Old 02-06-24, 12:54 PM
kvnclu

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Another in the "silver bullet" category - the Rindow silver bullet bike light is a simple beautiful shape that IMO blends in nicely with an older build (especially with silver parts). It's my backup light on an '89 Bianchi Volpe.
Old 02-06-24, 02:01 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
On another bicycle forum (gasp!) I've seen guys take apart inexpensive LED flashlights and put the guts into vintage bicycle light housings. You would likely need some mild fab and soldering skills. I've seen some nice lights made this way.
Old 02-06-24, 03:05 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Rr.
Hey folks!

RR
I assume most olde tyme bike lights powered by traditional batteries used incandescent flashlight bulbs. Common flashlight bulbs have direct LED replacements that, when paired with NiMH batteries would make an easy non-destructive conversion retaining the original light's battery holder and lamphead. Might be a fun project!
One source:
https://www.tek-tite.com/products.ph...%26+Conversion
Old 02-06-24, 04:05 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Personally, when I think of vintage lights that look good, I'm thinking more of the aluminum or chromed lights that were used on touring or randonneuring bikes... which makes sense, as they are the ones that get ridden at night.
I've still got my old Jos block dynamo, which is a nice, small light. Not at all bright by modern standards, though.

Peter Weigle's flickr pages show some of the neat old vintage lights....

a lovely Ducheron rando bike:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/15704515395/

a JOS 431c headlight:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/4682149829/

and another photo by Mr. Weigle, of a catalog page, a business card, and the JOS headlight....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/8568277307/

The only modern light(s) that I'm familiar with are the Schmidt Edelux lights that are built from aluminum. They are dynamo lights, which isn't a surprise, and use a LED and excellent optics.
https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/headlights/edelux-2/

B&M has a dynamo light with a vintage look too. No idea how it compares to the Edelux.
https://www.perennialcycle.com/busch...headlight.html

I have vague memories of a battery powered light with similar aesthetics, but don't recall any details.

Personally, I'm tinkering with retro-fitting LEDs into my old Jos dynamo light, and hope that it can be a guide for others to upgrade some of their vintage lights with better performance. It would be nice to see some of the really cool old lights be used again instead of just gathering dust on a shelf.

Steve in Peoria
I use a couple of old dynamo tail lights with led bulbs I get from peter white. The version he sells have super capacitors so they act as stand lights.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-06-24, 04:46 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 287 Posts
Lezyne makes a few of their lights in polished silver....

https://www.jensonusa.com/Lezyne-MIN...iABEgI_WfD_BwE
Old 02-06-24, 05:36 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

These are pretty cool be-seen lights. They came with rotten batteries and a mess of corrosion inside, but I think their big enough to gut and install a small modern led lamp inside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.