Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Anyone successfully fork mounted an Ixon IQ headlight?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 12:06 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts

Hi,

I recently purchased an Ixon IQ headlight for my bike. With the specially shaped beam, I was hoping to mount it on the fork. It looks like this:

Peter White's site said "I used to sell a fork crown mount for the Ixon. However, I have had several of these mounts fail from fatigue, and so I no longer sell them." I read about someone using the standard mount plus the Ixon IQ speed mount to mount the light bear the fork. It's like this:

Problem is, the Ixon IQ (unlike the Ixon IQ Speed that's pictured just above) has the mount clamp flip down rather than up. What happens is that is end up mounted like the pic, but I cannot get it to clamp down tight enough to stay in position. Every time I hit potholes the front of the light ends up moving down some and it ends up just pointing at the ground.

So I thought I'd ask here - has anyone successfully mounted their Ixon IQ light just above the fork? Like perhaps by using a different mount?
Old 08-03-09, 11:33 PM
reueladhikari

Bikes: Cross Check with Rohloff hub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't there a plastic knob thing at the Peter White shop that allows mounting a handlebar light on a fork leg? Sorry can't think of anything for the fork crown.
Old 08-04-09, 04:05 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by reueladhikari
Isn't there a plastic knob thing at the Peter White shop that allows mounting a handlebar light on a fork leg? Sorry can't think of anything for the fork crown.
Err...maybe, any idea on a link?
Old 08-04-09, 04:11 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.asp
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/accessories.asp

The cronometro nob (do a search on the light mounts page)
-Gene-
Old 08-04-09, 05:06 PM
barturtle

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I Use a Minoura Besso to mount my light just above the canti mount on my fork.
Old 08-04-09, 05:30 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can buy the above at Velo Orange (cause they have stupid fast shipping)
https://www.velo-orange.com/mibeliho.html
-Gene-
Old 08-05-09, 09:00 AM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by Amani576
You can buy the above at Velo Orange (cause they have stupid fast shipping)
https://www.velo-orange.com/mibeliho.html
-Gene-
Unfortunately, it also says "Not recommended for carbon forks." :-(
Old 08-05-09, 02:58 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ah, you didn't say it was for a carbon fork.
-Gene-
Old 08-06-09, 01:18 PM
andrelam

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amani576
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/light-mounts.asp
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/accessories.asp

The cronometro nob (do a search on the light mounts page)
-Gene-
+1 I use this on my carbon fork. The strap is a tough pastic so it won't dig into the fork like a metal band might. I also added a thing strip of rubber under the strap (cut from an old inner tube) to provide a bit more protection of the fork. It has been on there for over a year and it has help up perfectly.

Happy riding,
André
Old 08-06-09, 01:30 PM
barturtle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Nitto Lamp Holder 5 mounts with your quick release, so should work with any fork.
Old 10-12-09, 05:34 AM
Arapiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bump

This is a slightly delayed response, but yes it is possible: I have done it for an Ixon (I also had an Ixon IQ and it's the same for both because they use the same mount).

BBB make a fork mount identical to the B&M one in the photo posted above. Mine's the BBB. Both are much better than the two piece B&M mount which came with my bike but which fell off and smashed my brand new Ixon IQ and which prior to that vibrated all over the place even when strongly tightened.

What I did was remove the small metal dowel that the Ixon clamp hinges on and then removed the clamp itself. What you are left with is an eyelet that screws up to tighten the mount on the fork mount - with the clamp gone it fits fine under the BBB fork mount. I was concerned that the eyelet might rotate through 90 degrees and slip between the gap that's there to allow the mount to be fitted, so I locked it in place with a zip-tie. The mount's been on my bike and used for a daily 20 km commute for a couple of weeks now and there's been no problems and no slippage at all.

It looks like the dowell and clamp can also be refitted to the mount so this mod also has the benefit of being reversable.

Last edited by Arapiles; 10-12-09 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-12-09, 05:19 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by Arapiles
Bump

This is a slightly delayed response, but yes it is possible: I have done it for an Ixon (I also had an Ixon IQ and it's the same for both because they use the same mount).

BBB make a fork mount identical to the B&M one in the photo posted above. Mine's the BBB. Both are much better than the two piece B&M mount which came with my bike but which fell off and smashed my brand new Ixon IQ and which prior to that vibrated all over the place even when strongly tightened.

What I did was remove the small metal dowel that the Ixon clamp hinges on and then removed the clamp itself. What you are left with is an eyelet that screws up to tighten the mount on the fork mount - with the clamp gone it fits fine under the BBB fork mount. I was concerned that the eyelet might rotate through 90 degrees and slip between the gap that's there to allow the mount to be fitted, so I locked it in place with a zip-tie. The mount's been on my bike and used for a daily 20 km commute for a couple of weeks now and there's been no problems and no slippage at all.

It looks like the dowell and clamp can also be refitted to the mount so this mod also has the benefit of being reversable.
Who's "BBB"??
Old 10-12-09, 06:42 PM
barturtle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Who's "BBB"??
I'm guessing he's using this mount

https://www.bbbparts.com/lightsets_unimount-bls95.php
Old 10-13-09, 06:14 AM
Arapiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barturtle
That's correct: the identical B&M mount doesn't appear to be available in Australia. There is also another mount sold in Japan which is identical to both the BBB and B&M and was discussed in a thread on these forums.
Old 10-13-09, 10:07 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I recently purchased an Ixon IQ headlight for my bike. With the specially shaped beam, I was hoping to mount it on the fork. It looks like this:

Peter White's site said "I used to sell a fork crown mount for the Ixon. However, I have had several of these mounts fail from fatigue, and so I no longer sell them." I read about someone using the standard mount plus the Ixon IQ speed mount to mount the light bear the fork. It's like this:
I have two bikes with fork mounts for the headlights (both Dynamo powered lights), both mounts work well.

Bike one has a Planet Bike Blaze headlight which is mounted to a Paul 'Gino' mount (https://www.paulcomp.com/ginolightmount.html). In the picture on the site, he shows it mounted down by the wheel axle, in my case, it is mounted to a braze-on which is about half way up the fork. This ought to work fine for any bike with a braze-on on the fork.

Bike two has a Supernova E3 161-S headlight (also a shaped beam), which i mounted to a braze on half way up the fork with a long bolt, and a spacer that I custom cut from a piece of aluminium tubing. I used lock washers on either side of the spacer, and it seems to work fine. FWIW, I use home-made spacers from aluminium tubing for a lot of stuff, you buy a piece of the tubing, and can then cut it with a tubing cutter to whatever length you need.

Mark

Last edited by sauerwald; 10-13-09 at 10:08 AM. Reason: removed repost of images (sorry) I hate it when people do that.
Old 10-13-09, 03:19 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by sauerwald
I have two bikes with fork mounts for the headlights (both Dynamo powered lights), both mounts work well.

Bike one has a Planet Bike Blaze headlight which is mounted to a Paul 'Gino' mount (https://www.paulcomp.com/ginolightmount.html). In the picture on the site, he shows it mounted down by the wheel axle, in my case, it is mounted to a braze-on which is about half way up the fork. This ought to work fine for any bike with a braze-on on the fork.

Bike two has a Supernova E3 161-S headlight (also a shaped beam), which i mounted to a braze on half way up the fork with a long bolt, and a spacer that I custom cut from a piece of aluminium tubing. I used lock washers on either side of the spacer, and it seems to work fine. FWIW, I use home-made spacers from aluminium tubing for a lot of stuff, you buy a piece of the tubing, and can then cut it with a tubing cutter to whatever length you need.

Mark

Thanks for the info!

I don't have braze-ons on the fork, but having only 1 dynamo light I don't think I would like mounting it below the wheel and dealing with the wheel shadow. Or anyone not seeing the light because they were at just the wrong angle where the wheel was between them and the light when they looked.

Thanks, though.
Old 10-16-09, 07:03 PM
Arapiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, have you tried the fix on your bike?

Last edited by Arapiles; 10-17-09 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-11-10, 04:37 AM
Arapiles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rude manners

Who's "BBB"??
Can't say that I think much of the manners on this forum.

The OP posted a very specific and unusual request. By a coincidence (1) I saw the post and (2) had had exactly the same problem with exactly the same light. Unlike the OP I had worked out an elegant, simple fix which is still working 6 months later - and that's on the bike I use to commute on daily.

I wasn't a member of this forum but thought I could help, so registered and posted my fix for the problem. And the response? The OP didn't even have the effing courtesy to acknowledge the post, let alone say thank you - instead he posted to everyone else "who's BBB"" (well, let's see ... BBB would be the Giant of the accessories world and have been available in every country I've lived in. But evidently not where the OP lives.). The OP's response was the internet equivalent of simply ignoring someone who says hello to you at a social function.

What made the OP's rudeness even starker is that he did respond to the other posts. I can only presume that PaulRivers regards a "newbie" as beneath contempt, or should I say beneath notice? Otherwise the level of rudeness is inexplicable.

While I may be a "newbie" on these forums - purely because I only posted in relation to PaulRivers original query (and given the evident lack of manners it's unlikely that I'll be involved any further in any case) at least I know how to fit an Ixon IQ to a fork mount.
Old 02-11-10, 12:34 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Is this in stark contrast to the polite, high-society manners found elsewhere on the internet? May the gods help you and your wounded dignity if you accidentally wander into A&S or Foo.

The OP didn't even have the effing courtesy to acknowledge the post, let alone say thank you - instead he posted to everyone else "who's BBB"" (well, let's see ... BBB would be the Giant of the accessories world and have been available in every country I've lived in. But evidently not where the OP lives.). The OP's response was the internet equivalent of simply ignoring someone who says hello to you at a social function.
OP quoted your post, so it was a direct reply to you. You mentioned a specific mount without a link to the equipment you referenced. Barturtle picked up your slack and found it, and you confirmed it a day later. As for BBB being the worldwide giant in parts manufacturing, I've never seen a BBB branded bit of packaging in any bike shop I've been in from Lavallette, New Jersey to Seattle, Washington. There's 1 USA distributor (Vittoria N.A.) listed on BBB's website, so it's likely that PaulRivers hasn't encountered their product lines either.

What made the OP's rudeness even starker is that he did respond to the other posts. I can only presume that PaulRivers regards a "newbie" as beneath contempt, or should I say beneath notice? Otherwise the level of rudeness is inexplicable.
1 other post. He responded to 1 post after your comment. Wash the sand out of your chamois. (now there's some rude manners for ya!)

While I may be a "newbie" on these forums - purely because I only posted in relation to PaulRivers original query (and given the evident lack of manners it's unlikely that I'll be involved any further in any case) at least I know how to fit an Ixon IQ to a fork mount.
Being a snarky prick because you're all hurt about how someone you don't know didn't pay attention to you on the internet isn't going to win you any points.
Old 02-11-10, 02:39 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
Being a snarky prick FOUR MONTHS LATER because you're all hurt about how someone you don't know didn't pay attention to you on the internet isn't going to win you any points.
FIFY
-Gene-
Old 02-23-10, 05:21 PM
PaulRivers

The OP posted a very specific and unusual request. By a coincidence (1) I saw the post and (2) had had exactly the same problem with exactly the same light. Unlike the OP I had worked out an elegant, simple fix which is still working 6 months later - and that's on the bike I use to commute on daily.

I wasn't a member of this forum but thought I could help, so registered and posted my fix for the problem. And the response? The OP didn't even have the effing courtesy to acknowledge the post, let alone say thank you - instead he posted to everyone else "who's BBB"" (well, let's see ... BBB would be the Giant of the accessories world and have been available in every country I've lived in. But evidently not where the OP lives.). The OP's response was the internet equivalent of simply ignoring someone who says hello to you at a social function.

I'm the OP. I've been on vacation for over the last week, so I have not had a chance to reply to your latest post.

I'm sorry I did not reply to your post saying "So, have you tried the fix on your bike?". I cannot be sure if I just didn't see it (email didn't get sent, email got lost somehow, etc) or if I meant to reply but didn't get around to it. I've had reply post losts on forums sometimes to. My apologies on that point, though I did not deliberately ignore your post.

But on the others, I understand that you get excited to reply on a topic you happen to have knowledge of and then seeming get ignored (like I have, several times), but half your points seem to go out of their way to take offense (it's not even possible to post "to everyone else "who's BBB"") or a simple misunderstanding of ettique on an internet forum. If every possibly helpful post was replied to, the thread becomes filled 50% with posts saying "thanks for your reply", which is time consuming and not very helpful. The average response is that if a post solved your problem to say "thanks, that worked", or if you're writing back with further questions then says "thanks, but also...". But that doesn't even happen more than 50% of the time.

Saying "thanks" to every post in an internet forum is like saying "thanks" after every sentence with a person you're talking to in person - it's considered kind of annoying, and if done constantly rather rude to the other people reading the thread. Not only do they have to wade through it, but they also likely get a new email every time there's a reply.

In the reply to whether I tried the fix on my bike, I did not, because -
1. The mount you mentioned is not available in the US. I looked just now - can't find it anywhere. Not amazon, not peter white, not performancebike, not competitive cyclist, doesn't appear to be available from the website for ordering directly.
2. The mount appear very similar to the mount I already tried - sounds like you removed something on your light in order to get it on the mount? I did try replacing the latch down thing on my light with a screw, but wasn't able to get the screw tight enough to keep the light from moving it's position whenever I hit really rough bumps.
3. After trying the Ixon IQ for a while, I also decided it just didn't put out enough light onto the road for my taste. I also own another bike with a Cyo and a dynamo hub, and it's a lot closer.
4. I also - sadly - lost the front wheel of my bike that I was using the IXON IQ light. I was super tired on a Friday, took the wheel off to put the bike in the car, and drove off with the wheel still resting against the car. Well, obviously it fell over after I drove off. When I came back, the wheel was gone.

Being that I felt it the light wasn't really bright enough for anyways, and that I had to pay to replace the front wheel, I bought a new front wheel with a dynamo hub and which let me use my Cyo from my other bike (my winter bike) as my front light as a replacement. I would have written back, though, if I had seen your followup post asking if it had worked.