Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What would it take to fix this? And is it worth it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 08:38 PM
toosahn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I just got a '71 Merlin, and I found this problem with the frame that the seller overlooked:

Is this a huge deal? Would it be worth it to get it fixed? Any estimates on costs for a small job like this?

Seller has been responsive and eager to resolve the issue.
Old 10-07-11, 09:14 PM
shnibop 

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
I'm assuming you mean the cable stop being split? I'd leave it and ask for a partial refund.

You could get that fixed for under $50, but would lose the paint in that area, not worth it IMO.
Old 10-07-11, 10:06 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by toosahn
So I just got a '71 Merlin, and I found this problem with the frame that the seller overlooked:

Is this a huge deal? Would it be worth it to get it fixed? Any estimates on costs for a small job like this?

Seller has been responsive and eager to resolve the issue.
Exactly what do you see as the problem?
Old 10-07-11, 10:06 PM
toosahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The seller offered $25 in refund. Is that fair?
Old 10-07-11, 10:09 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
The seller offered $25 in refund. Is that fair?
No. The fix would run $50 at least, and the repaint of the stay alone by a competent painter who can match the patina will run you well over $100.

Force him to take it back. Not worth your effort unless this is your grail bike.

-Kurt

Old 10-07-11, 10:14 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
If you use a high-quality derailleur w/ a gentle spring and never force it hard against the low gear stop, you may never have a problem. I also wonder whether some sort of epoxy might provide a satisfactory and painless solution to the problem.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-07-11, 10:39 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
What if you strip the paint off that cable stop cup and fill it in with J-B Weld then drill a new cable end pocket into the cured J-B Weld a second smaller hole in the center to line up where the cable goes through the metal stop then paint it.
Kind of a cold process repair....

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 10-08-11 at 01:46 AM.
Old 10-08-11, 12:30 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
What if you strip the paint off that cable stop cup and fill it in with J-B Weld then drill a new cable end pocket into the cured J-B Weld a second mslaler hole in the center to line up where the cable goes through the metal stop then paint it.
Kind of a cold process repair....

Chombi
I think this is a good approach, and don't think there's so much pressure on the stop that the split will get worse. Only thing I'd use some epoxy putty rather than a liquid (like JB Weld). Or, you could carefully grind it off (I know, it's "drewing" but in this case) and use a clamp-on stop...wouldn't look out of place on this era frame.
Are those Zeus dropouts?
Old 10-08-11, 01:31 AM
toosahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup, they are Zeus dropouts. Why do you ask?
Old 10-08-11, 06:25 AM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Nothing but a steel weld or braze repair will approach the original strength. Proper repair is remove the cable stop & braze on a new one.
Old 10-08-11, 06:42 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Some one with good torch skills could put a bit of braze on that to repair it with out much damage to the paint on the frame it self.
Old 10-08-11, 06:57 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Gently tap the two side together, get some epoxy in there, touch up with model airplane paint, and fit a chainstay cable stop...al for < $10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chainstay-Ca...item4aae91a620

Actually, if you complete fill the hemisphere with epoxy and maintain the hole, maybe with a toothpick that you pull out before it hardens, the fix should last forever.
Old 10-08-11, 10:18 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Yup, they are Zeus dropouts. Why do you ask?
Only cause that was what my (departed) Merlin had, probably same year and model. BTW, mine also had a damaged cable stop like yours, only even farther gone. I ground it off (Dremel) and put on a nice Campy cable stop (something similar to what sced shows in the eBay link). Worked great, never looked back.
There were several braze-on bits on my Merlin that were toast, the frame was not babied by the PO, well, more like it was "ridden hard and put up wet". I would not fixate on the little stuff: it's a fine 531 British frame, very nice riding...enjoy!
Old 10-08-11, 11:02 AM
DrJim

Bikes: Soma Stanya Build, Trek build, Miyata 312, Miyata 710, Nashbar Toure MT, Giant hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Exactly what do you see as the problem?
I agree with this sentiment. I doubt that the split would cause enough weakness in the stop to be a problem. Also, I wonder how it got that way.
Old 10-08-11, 11:14 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
JB Weld and touch up paint. If that's going to bother you, send it back.
Old 10-08-11, 11:19 AM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me that people buy 40 and 50 year old bike parts, then search for flaws to request/demand a partial refund. While that braze-on may not look perfect, it'll probably be plenty strong for a derailleur cable stop. Geeze... (and no, I wasn't the seller..) It looks to have been Dremel-disc cut (why, I don't know; can only guess).
Build that thing and ride it!
Old 10-08-11, 11:22 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy
It looks to have been Dremel-disc cut (why, I don't know; can only guess).
For the same reason many come that way from the factory. It allows the cable to pass through the slit rather than being run through the hole.
Old 10-08-11, 11:52 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy
It never ceases to amaze me that people buy 40 and 50 year old bike parts, then search for flaws to request/demand a partial refund. While that braze-on may not look perfect, it'll probably be plenty strong for a derailleur cable stop.
Depends on the RD. Some Hurets pack a nasty return spring that can bend a stamped steel cable stop quite a bit.

-Kurt

Old 10-08-11, 12:02 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
I did a stop on one of mine. I did not like the internal stay routing. The frame maker just balled the cost in with aligning the dropouts, chasing the BB shell, pressing in head races. So, if you have it done along with all the other good stuff, it may be a tolerable bill.

Of course I lost paint in the process. The frame guy had to file through the existing paint, flux the daylights out of the stay and then — poof — on went the torch.

But it was not so bad a thing after the splattered flux was removed. I just painted a sort of band of color that keyed onto the original — didn't even try to match it. Original color ... dark purple. The band was a lighter shade. On the chain stay it seems rather natural — to me anyway.

Here is another suggestion. Get a thin piece of copper wire. Form it into a circle the same as the inside diameter of the recess in the stop. Place it so it butts up at the end of the stop's inside diameter. Now you will need a really big soldering iron or a small propane torch. And you will have to get all the paint and undercoat off the inside of the stop ferrule, as well as an area on the outside portion. You will transfer heat from the outside in. So then you flux and fill the stop with solder. Next: drill the solder out leaving the bridged area. Then drill out a smaller hole for the cable to run through. Round off the bridge with a file.

The paint damage should be restricted to a small area that can be matched up with model enamel. The kind of stress that stop will take should leave the solder intact and OK — IMHO anyway. The copper wire will transfer the heat evenly around the ferrule as well as create a form for the solder bridge.

Don't use electronics solder. There is solder made for this sort of thing.

Some readers will think this is a silly notion. So be it. Back in the day when I did a bit of motorcycle racing, I used to solder cable nipples on my steel brake cables — cables for drum brakes that had to slow me down from 115-130 to 25 MPH lap after lap. The last thing I thought about diving into corners was busting solder joints.

It's what I'd try. And all you can do is fail. Then you go to the guy with the brazing torch. POOOF!

There is a fair chance you will succeed.

Last edited by Lenton58; 10-08-11 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-08-11, 12:11 PM
DrJim

Bikes: Soma Stanya Build, Trek build, Miyata 312, Miyata 710, Nashbar Toure MT, Giant hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
For the same reason many come that way from the factory. It allows the cable to pass through the slit rather than being run through the hole.
I think you are right. It is probably (possibly?) original. I did an inventory of my bikes and four out of the six have split rear derailleur cable stops. The bikes with the rear brake cables running under the top tube also have split stops and the brake cables must transmit considerably greater loads than the rear derailleur.

One difference that I see between my split stops and the one shown by the OP is that mine are longer along the cable and therefore presumably stronger.
Old 10-08-11, 01:25 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
+1 The split on OP's bike looks intentional too.

My advice: either put up with the bike the way it was sold to you, or give it back and let the previous owner sell to someone who will appreciate it and not obsess about tiny things like this.
Old 10-08-11, 02:08 PM
gerryincwm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks a fairly easy repair, damp rags on the stay a small nozzle and a blob of silver solder. Don't need a frame builder just someone competent with oxy acetylene
Old 10-09-11, 08:48 AM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
... just someone competent with oxy acetylene
I think a $30 propane set will do it too — 2000 degrees at the jet. Competence, well thats another factor.
Old 10-09-11, 11:11 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
Personally, I would not worry about it at all, for the time being. If it works, then never worry about it. If it doesn't work, have a new one brazed, or sliver soldered, into place or remove the braze-on and replace with a clamp on unit.

I would also check to see if the paint is on the split. If so, then it is original and the seller need not have mentioned that. If the paint is not on the split, then it is a crack or modification, and should have been disclosed by the seller. In scenario two, you have every right in the world to request compensation or full refund.

Just an old man's opinion.
Old 10-09-11, 11:18 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
That's what I thought it was, I had a bike at one point that had that opening, thought it was supposed to be like that.

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.