Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1983 Bianchi Nuovo Racing/Campagnolo brakes question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-11, 08:25 AM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1995-8 Caloi "Semi-Otto" homage thingy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Hi all,

I am buying a nice 1983 Bianchi Nuovo Racing for my sweetheart, but will need a set of period-correct brakes for it.
The original Modolo Flash brakes apparently fell apart at some point and were replaced with another brake set that has since been sold on.

Does anyone know what the original gruppo for this model was, and what would be a good set of replacement brakes and levers for it? It is otherwise stock. I've been told the Modolo Flash brakes were nothing to write home about, so an upgrade would be fine.

Secondly, does anyone have anything that might work for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Corey "Funny, it doesn't look like a roadster" K
Old 08-02-11, 08:49 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
I can check tonight but Modolo sounds about right for the brakes on a Nuovo Racing. there are lots of Modolos on ebay, I would just put something like a Victory or maybe a upperend DiaCompe on it.

the original equipment was likely a mix of parts Modolo brakes, Ofmega cranks, Ofmega or Miche hubs and Campi NR derailleurs, OH yeah a Ofmega HS. any pics? post some pics and I'll try and look it up tonight.

as far as the Modolo Flash are concerned, Modolo in general are OK brakes and stop well, I just never liked the whole centerscrew with the allen screw to adjust play.

a set of Victory/Triomphe or even NR brakes won't be too expensive on fleaby and will look good on that.

Universal Mod 77 would be OK too.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-02-11, 10:10 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I had a Nuovo Racing for a short period in the '90's, and it had Modolo brakes on it. They were pretty nice, I thought. Of course, a nice set of Nuovo Record brakes sure would go nicely with those derailleurs.
Old 08-02-11, 10:23 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The Campagnolo Gran Sport brakes are somewhat similar and might be cheaper to find than the NR. Universal had a very similar brake too that wouldn't be out of line on an 80s Italian.
Old 08-02-11, 01:58 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I got these https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...1_10000_202421 for my wife's Brava with some short reach Tektro levers for her cute little hands. She likes the setup a lot because it stops so assuredly.

Last edited by sced; 08-02-11 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-02-11, 03:40 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I actually just checked and '83 Nuovo record came with Universal 77 brakes.

Sced; great looking Brava

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-03-11, 07:36 PM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1995-8 Caloi "Semi-Otto" homage thingy

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the responses. I did a bit of E-baying, and the Campy stuff is really pretty dear these days. Wow.

Bianchigirll, I believe you know this bike:

More here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovely_...7625642042224/

Yep, that one.
The replacement Tektro calipers and aero levers shown are gone already.
Aero levers are fine to start with, but the plan is to eventually get it closer to vintage/stock for a certain event that requires it.

Anyone got anything cool lying around that would work?

Celeste La Vie,

Corey K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
5278438490_0995202456_z.jpg (64.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg
5278439618_ca3a2c0e83_z.jpg (48.3 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by Coreyk; 08-03-11 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-03-11, 08:24 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Corey,

Nice bike. The honey saddle contrasts the color beautifully. Mine (perhaps a couple of years older than yours) came with the Universal brakeset Bianchigirl mentioned - A decent Campy knockoff that you may be able to find with some looking on eBay.
Old 08-03-11, 08:51 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

OH that Bianchi. too bad it was a tad too big for her.

why did you take the DPs off? atleast you could ride with those. I would get some Modolos or a better DiaCompe to get it on the road then look and save for some Campis.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-03-11, 10:07 PM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
"OH that Bianchi. too bad it was a tad too big for her. "

I agree. However, it will be a nice re-introductory roadbike for Herself.

"why did you take the DPs off? at least you could ride with those."

I would have been fine with them to start with, honestly. They were already sold. The bike hasn't arrived here yet.

Hence the plea for help from an Italian-bike newbie.
Old 08-03-11, 11:05 PM
TheOtherGuy
Knows Bigfoot's Momma

Bikes: yeah; got a couple...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the Modolo Speedy brakes would be a nice upgrade from the Flash. Not too expensive.
Old 08-09-11, 08:10 PM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for all of the replies! I think I have some good candidates for calipers, but am still looking for some levers. Will probably go for modern ones to start, so we can get it on the road- the vintage ones can be had later at our leisure.

Corey K
Old 09-04-11, 07:36 PM
Bianchi guy

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Nuova Racing 12v

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to dispute Bianchigirl (she obviously knows a lot more about Bianchi's in general than I do), but I own a Nuovo Racing 12/v that I bought new in 1983 and it was all Campy right out of the store. Virtually everything was Nuovo Record including the brakes, crankset etc. I replaced the brakes with Shimano 600 years ago (along with a bunch of other Dura Ace stuff) and just in the last few months have been updating it again with a plethora of carbon fiber, new wheels etc to bring the weight down to something a little less embarrassing (we both needed to drop a few pounds).

It has been a fantastic bike for many years for me, I'm sure your wife will love it!
Old 09-18-11, 11:16 AM
Coreyk
Birotate Charioteer

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Bianchiguy, thanks for the info. We actually grabbed a set of C.1983/84 hi-polish Shimano 600 levers and calipers to go on the bike, which is due in the next day or two.
(ironically, the brakes were last mounted on a 1970s Moulton that was ridden in Gaiole in '08, though not in the race itself. )
We still have an option on a set of 1983-85 Nuovo Records.

Thanks everybody for all of their suggestions!

Corey K
Old 09-18-11, 11:42 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Bianchi guy
Not to dispute Bianchigirl (she obviously knows a lot more about Bianchi's in general than I do), but I own a Nuovo Racing 12/v that I bought new in 1983 and it was all Campy right out of the store. Virtually everything was Nuovo Record including the brakes, crankset etc. I replaced the brakes with Shimano 600 years ago (along with a bunch of other Dura Ace stuff) and just in the last few months have been updating it again with a plethora of carbon fiber, new wheels etc to bring the weight down to something a little less embarrassing (we both needed to drop a few pounds).

It has been a fantastic bike for many years for me, I'm sure your wife will love it!
the catalogs don't differentiate between a Nuovo Racing and Nuovo Racing 12v, which I think was a mid season upgrade, andyway none of the catalogs list a Nuovo Racing with Campi brakes so either it was a factory upgrade (maybe G.S. ) or a shop upgrade to make it look better on the floor.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk