Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here actually own a Vello bike?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Does anyone here actually own a Vello bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-20, 11:54 PM
Vellonaut

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. My bike is likely safe because I've prevented the magnetic mechanism from opening using a dyneema loop, the kind that can stop climbers from falling.

I don't want to advocate that kind of a fix as a solution though, or recommend a special way of riding or braking that might mitigate the risks, or postulate how the risk changes for taller or thinner riders or depends on the hub mode or whatever. Rather, I want to be clear that my assessment as an owner is that the bike, as sold, is fundamentally unsafe.

My worry is that someone else sets out on their new Vello Bike+, rides it like a normal bike, enjoys the motor assist, brakes at traffic lights or similar and is hurdled at 25km/h headfirst over the handlebars and into cross traffic. If that does happen, I want the rider's relatives to know that the problem is known and that Vello does nothing to warn or protect their customers.
Old 05-18-20, 03:14 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
As already explained, the motor that keeps pushing when front braking is probably at least part of the problem.

A bottom bracket torque sensor that switches immediately the motor off would be the solution.
Old 05-19-20, 03:57 AM
riverwave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jipe: guess so. On my Brompton Electric I’ve got into the habit of back pedalling slightly when braking; on the Vello + that would cause the Zehus braking mechanism to cut in which would help (assuming the battery isn’t already fully charged of course of that you’re doing more than 25kmh!)
Old 06-22-20, 05:21 AM
Vellonaut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi there VELLONAUTS

Isn't life funny. After a month of no posts to this thread, I get a notification that Valentin of Vello VELLO bike has posted saying he "just stumbled on these messages" and less than ten minutes later you had signed up as a new user and made your first post, telling your story as a happy and repeat customer. Quite a coincidence.

Of course we are two customers and that's hardly a fair sample! Anyone reading this thread who wants to know about the typical Vello experience might want to look at the hundreds of comments from so, so many others at Kickstarter and Indiegogo.

Anyway, thanks to others posting about problems and fixes, but I'm not here to resolve my problems with a bike. I'm responding to the question about an owner's experience of a Vello bike. Not recommended.

Last edited by Vellonaut; 06-22-20 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-23-20, 12:15 AM
Vellonaut

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both of the VELLONAUTS and VELLO bike messages have disappeared from the thread now. Both accounts are also marked as banned.

For the record, VELLO bike said he was Valentin, the owner of the company Vello, and was urging me to email them. He said Vello was very diligent in responding to customer emails - a view which stands in contrast to the dozens of complaints about lack of responsiveness in the Vello threads linked above.

VELLONAUTS , a new member account created immediately after VELLO bike 's post, wrote my experience was 'impossible' and that he loved his Kickstarter bike so much he went out and bought another for his wife.

The 'banned users' thread describes why these accounts have been banned.

VELLO Bike - permanent - merchandizing & creating a sock
VELLONAUTS - permanent - sock for shilling

Last edited by Vellonaut; 06-23-20 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-23-20, 10:40 AM
Valentin Vodev
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am writing here as a Private Person (Valentin Vodev) . . . .

Last edited by BillyD; 06-23-20 at 03:47 PM. Reason: advertising
Old 06-23-20, 03:43 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11968 Post(s)
Liked 6,641 Times in 3,481 Posts
Mr. Vodev this has nothing to do with freedom of expression and this is not your personal opinion. YOU are a merchant wishing to promote a product. That's called advertising. Bike Forums is supported by advertising, you cannot advertise or promote your product for free while other merchants pay for advertising, it's that simple.

I provided you a link to our corporate offices where you can choose to subscribe. For your convenience a link entitled Advertising is provided at the bottom of each page.

Thread closed.