Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Not a biker want to bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Not a biker want to bike

Old 04-29-20, 03:23 PM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's one on CL that may be of interest: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...114989775.html
Old 04-29-20, 05:45 PM
Total Newbie

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=tds101;21444647]Just an FYI: I'm a former Xootr Swift owner, and it's the only bike I shed tears for. Now that that's out of the way,... I Don't recommend a Swift folder to ANYONE because they're no longer being sold by Xootr. There's alway the Peter option, but that's an expensive, custom endeavor. Otherwise, unless the OP gets lucky, there's no Swifts to be found. And the OP also is trying to spend not too much $$$ as well,...

As for citibike,...we're in the midst of a global pandemic. No way in **** would I recommend a bike share. The OP wants to OWN a FOLDER,...citibikes are non-folding rental TANKS.

PS: For the OP - there's a few excellent Dahon folders for sale on Craigslist. Maybe you should check 'em out,...

It looked like there were some good deals on Craigslist but my inexperience wouldn’t help me know if a bike is good or not or worth the money and without subways there’s no way to check it out or buy it. good idea though:-)
Old 04-29-20, 05:49 PM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brdeleo49
Here's one on CL that may be of interest
that is a gorgeous bike!! And they’d ship. How does it compare to the other Dahons: Mariner and mu d9? My guy has a standard sized bike. When we bike together will it be ridiculous? Would a 20 wheel be preferable?

Last edited by Total Newbie; 04-29-20 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-29-20, 05:49 PM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's one on CL that may be of interest
that is a gorgeous bike!! And they’d ship. How does it compare to the other Dahons: Mariner and mu d9? My guy has a standard sized bike. When we bike together will it be ridiculous? Would a 20 wheel be preferable?
Old 04-29-20, 05:54 PM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arbee
Ah-ha! You're not such total newbie after all!

I'd suggested Citibikes as a cheap first step before committing to a purchase. Though I've accumulated thousands of Citibike rides (2 today) I understand — they're certainly not for everyone. (One unalloyed plus: used for utility in foul weather, which I do, I don't have to clean the bike as I would if it were my own.)

No arm-twisting about Swift / Xootr, but one clarification is important: only the Swift / Xootr frame is unique. All the parts attached to the frame are generic. Unlike many other folders, there are no proprietary parts. When you need to replace something, any local bike store will be able to get you rolling again. It may not be precisely what you want, but you won't be stranded. I've toured a fair amount on my Swift and being able to rely on generic parts is a real sense of security.
That definitely makes it more appealing. When I read your post and thread I immediately checked it out - and people who have Swifts love them!
Likes For Total Newbie:
Old 04-29-20, 07:45 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 584 Posts
Here's one on CL that may be of interest: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...114989775.html
Pass on this. It's a stripped down dahon curve. The price is way too high for what it is. Look for a dahon curve somewhere else. Shipped or not, I'd pass on it.

Here's the full new model: https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/curved3.htm

If you do prefer a 1 speed, go with the Dahon Speed Uno: https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/speeduno.htm

Here's the excellent Dahon Boardwalk Classic: https://www.thorusa.com/dahon/current/classic.htm

Lastly, here's 2 used dahon curve's for sale in NYC (maybe they could ship for you): https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...curve&sort=rel

Last edited by tds101; 04-29-20 at 08:01 PM.
Likes For tds101:
Old 04-29-20, 09:18 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
If you can talk them in to shipping - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik...110393165.html

They can take it to any local bike shop and they will pack it and ship it. If they pull both wheels, along with the handlebars, it should fit a UPS box.

Here's another one - you'd have to find out exactly what they upgraded. Since they're in S.F. they could talke it to Warm Planet bikes and get it shipped, probably around a hundred bucks to pack and ship it. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...111244398.html
Old 04-30-20, 08:15 AM
brdeleo49

Bikes: Electra Cruiser 7D, Dahon Boardwalk, Sundeal F1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, it is a nice bike, but it does have 16" tires and a single speed. See the posts below from tds101 and linberl on the bike they found. Some in your area and the others on the left coast. Whatever you decide, have fun with it....
Old 04-30-20, 11:47 AM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
If you have a Xootr Swift for sale for the OP, then sell it. Otherwise, you're hawking a bike that's not available around our area. I live on Long Island, and if 1 came up, I'd share that info. The Swift is an excellent riding bike, crappy fold, but it rides like a full sized bike. But, no sellers out our way.
I’ll be getting a new Dahon and want the best bike: solid, comfortable, 20 inch wheels. Road riding for the city - ability to do some distance. Narrowed to 5.... Mariner 8, mu d9, Speed8, Thor has a One of a kind speed 8 and formula p9. Guidance?
Old 04-30-20, 12:57 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Total Newbie
I’ll be getting a new Dahon and want the best bike: solid, comfortable, 20 inch wheels. Road riding for the city - ability to do some distance. Narrowed to 5.... Mariner 8, mu d9, Speed8, Thor has a One of a kind speed 8 and formula p9. Guidance?
The MU bikes are lighter than all the others I believe. Weight matters in a lot of situations (carry to apartment or up to transit, lift to put in trunk, etc.). The Mu also has better componentry than the Mariner and Speed models, I believe. I'd just ask Thor what is the best bang for your buck after you tell himm what you want and where you will be riding. He's very trustworthy.
Likes For linberl:
Old 04-30-20, 02:30 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Personally, I'd go with the custom Speed 8 Orange (chromoly steel frame = STRONG. I own the Speed P8 in red), or Mariner D8 for added extras (rack and fenders). The Mu D9 is also fantastic, and there's no issues with the custom Formula. The Mariner D8 MIGHT be better IF you plan on picking a few things up while out and about though. Still,...ANY ONE YOU CHOOSE you can't go wrong IMO. As suggested, if you call and ask Thor, he'll help guide you.
Old 04-30-20, 03:57 PM
linberl

Dahon's arclite rack fits the Mu quite nicely; I have it on mine. Whether you'll need fenders or not depends on when you ride, but as we are heading into summer, you might be able to wait on those.
Likes For linberl:
Old 05-01-20, 07:09 PM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Dahon's arclite rack fits the Mu quite nicely; I have it on mine. Whether you'll need fenders or not depends on when you ride, but as we are heading into summer, you might be able to wait on those.
Thank you all!!! I’m test riding bikes tomorrow but think the mu d9 will be the one. We will see:-)
so appreciate all your help!!!!
Old 05-01-20, 08:07 PM
linberl

Thank you all!!! I’m test riding bikes tomorrow but think the mu d9 will be the one. We will see:-)
Good luck! We want pics of the bike =)
Old 05-01-20, 09:00 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

It's all about making you happy,...ENJOY! And please don't forget the pics!
Old 05-05-20, 10:59 PM
oaklandbiker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Linberl,
I am newly moving to Oakland and like Total Newbie am also hoping to get into biking. I'm thinking of getting a foldable because after going on the forums it seems a ton of bikes get stolen in the area, and with a foldable I can just take the bike into work with me. It'll also fit better in my small apt and I can bring a foldable on BART.

Since you're a SF bay area local, any wisdom regarding a local bike shop or place to get a foldable you can recommend? I want to get something that will serve me well but not something terribly expensive since I'm worried about having it stolen. Given current circumstances my budget is <$400 by the way. Thanks for any advice you might have!!
Old 05-06-20, 09:28 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by oaklandbiker
Linberl,
I am newly moving to Oakland and like Total Newbie am also hoping to get into biking. I'm thinking of getting a foldable because after going on the forums it seems a ton of bikes get stolen in the area, and with a foldable I can just take the bike into work with me. It'll also fit better in my small apt and I can bring a foldable on BART.

Since you're a SF bay area local, any wisdom regarding a local bike shop or place to get a foldable you can recommend? I want to get something that will serve me well but not something terribly expensive since I'm worried about having it stolen. Given current circumstances my budget is <$400 by the way. Thanks for any advice you might have!!
With your budget, the best thing is to buy something used but in good shape. There used to be a cool folding bike shop in Oakland, but they closed a few years ago. The only shop that actually specializes in folders now is in SF on Market Street (Warm Planet Bikes) and they're good. But a folder is just a bike (unless it has a lot of proprietary stuff like Brompton - and there are a couple East Bay shops that can service those). Wait til you get here, then DM me and I'll help you scour CL and forum postings. Think in the meantime about how much weight you can comfortably carry - you will often have to carry it up or down stairs at Bart stations (technically, if it is folded you can take it on the escalator but they are often too crowded at rush hour during non-pandemic times). So you want to be able to heft it comfortably, and also if you have stairs to your apartment. That will be the first thing to consider. While 16" wheels are more compact folders, the streets are pretty crappy so unless you're used to posting out of the saddle on a bike regularly, you should stick with a 20" wheeler. It will be a much more comfortable and safer ride around potholes. It's pretty flat here unless you end up living in one of the hilly areas - so where you live and plan to ride will also inform your decision and determine the gearing you need on the bike. If you stick to the flatter N-S routes you would be fine with a 3 speed; if your ride includes the hillier E-W routes you will want 8 speeds or more.
These bikes are currently on CL and depending on condition and the answers to the above would work for you:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik...119361273.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...111244398.html
Old 05-07-20, 09:57 PM
oaklandbiker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thank you for your awesome insight, and that's good to know about getting the 20". I will have to thank you for the smoother ride!

Considering my budget, I'll probably get a 3 gear and stick to the N-S routes. I think it'll be nice to bring the bike to SF for some rides but I'll try to find some trails and flatter routes. I'm excited to explore- will be coming into town next month.
Old 05-08-20, 05:47 PM
Total Newbie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oaklandbiker
Wow thank you for your awesome insight, and that's good to know about getting the 20". I will have to thank you for the smoother ride!

Considering my budget, I'll probably get a 3 gear and stick to the N-S routes. I think it'll be nice to bring the bike to SF for some rides but I'll try to find some trails and flatter routes. I'm excited to explore- will be coming into town next month.
Wondering, j checked out Thorusa.com and there is a Dahon 7 speed jack for 449. Maybe someone on the forum could tell you about the bike? Maybe it’s a good deal and a good buy? And in that 400 dollar budget arena. Just a thought.
Old 05-08-20, 08:21 PM
linberl

Wondering, j checked out Thorusa.com and there is a Dahon 7 speed jack for 449. Maybe someone on the forum could tell you about the bike? Maybe it’s a good deal and a good buy? And in that 400 dollar budget arena. Just a thought.
It just depends on what you want. It has 26" wheels and folds down but not all that small due to the wheel size. Here's Thor's spec page: Dahon Jack
Old 05-21-20, 08:18 PM
caro13

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ArcLite arrived from ThorUSA today and I just tried installing it, with some difficulty. Do you have the Mu D9 or a different model?

For Total Newbie: I very much love my 2018 Mu D9. Because of my height (4'11") I had to order extra parts - an aber hallo - to make adjustments to the handlebars, so didn't mind getting the rear rack and other components separately since I was already ordering from Thor. However, had I not had to do that, I think it would have been nice to get something like the Mariner D8 with extras included. I'm similarly in a walkup in NYC and manage to carry my D9 up four flights. It's not the easiest but definitely doable.

Not sure if you've chosen yet, but let me know if you need any help navigating bike stores in NYC.

Last edited by caro13; 05-21-20 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 08:21 PM
caro13

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aaaaaand just saw your reply to the other thread! Not sure how the Mu Uno frame size compares to the D9, but I'll try and contact Thor tomorrow and ask their advice. Thanks!
Old 05-21-20, 10:36 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by caro13
Aaaaaand just saw your reply to the other thread! Not sure how the Mu Uno frame size compares to the D9, but I'll try and contact Thor tomorrow and ask their advice. Thanks!
Pic posted on other thread.