Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Expanded Tern recall

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Expanded Tern recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 12:51 PM
tmesis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2015 model of Novara Flyby, a folding bike sold by REI. After reading this thread I called REI and they confirmed that Tern is the manufacturer of this bike. At this point, I'm wondering what the best option is. The Flyby appears to be based on Tern's D7i, which was not named in the recall. Is it safe to ride, or does it suffer the same design defects as the recalled models? I did notice that that model was listed in the 2014 recall.

BTW, I believe REI accepts returns up to a year after purchase, but it has been slightly over a year since I bought it.
Old 05-28-16, 01:08 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 591 Posts
REI, if I'm correct, is usually fantastic when it comes to customer service. I'd call them and see what they have to say. I have my TernJoeP24, and it's a completely different size and frame design. I'd ride it to the train station, and use it for my commute, but the handlebar doesn't easily fold (Allen key required). I'm slightly concerned about it though, as Tern hasn't handled the recall of their bikes appropriately. There's never been an issue with my bike model, but the question does remain: do I want to be the first? Your model, even if it was a prior generation of frame, has a history. I, personally, would contact REI.

Sux that this brand I loved so much worries me so much.
Old 05-28-16, 01:14 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hopefully this thread will be turning up in searchs in Google about tern bikes.

I hope they get what comings to them.
Old 05-28-16, 01:29 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by bhkyte
Hopefully this thread will be turning up in searchs in Google about tern bikes.

I hope they get what comings to them.
It's so damn sad,... I just don't like the attempt at a cover-up. I really like my TernJoeP2, but their other bike failures just keep popping up in my mind. When I ride it, if it fails, I'd get blamed. I do my own maintenance, so it'll be my fault? I don't think a sheared off frame is the buyers fault. Especially since my ride is done right.

Ugh! I despise deceitful business practices.
Old 05-28-16, 01:39 PM
tmesis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I did call to ask about the frame. The response I received was that since my model wasn't listed in the recall, the bike should be safe, and that if I am still concerned, I could take it into an REI store to get it checked out.

My main question is whether this bike has the same design issues as the other recalled models. I suppose the chances of a catastrophic failure on my particular bike are pretty small, but I am worried enough to discourage my wife from riding it, nor would be able to sell it to anyone else in good conscience.

Originally Posted by tds101
REI, if I'm correct, is usually fantastic when it comes to customer service. I'd call them and see what they have to say. I have my TernJoeP24, and it's a completely different size and frame design. I'd ride it to the train station, and use it for my commute, but the handlebar doesn't easily fold (Allen key required). I'm slightly concerned about it though, as Tern hasn't handled the recall of their bikes appropriately. There's never been an issue with my bike model, but the question does remain: do I want to be the first? Your model, even if it was a prior generation of frame, has a history. I, personally, would contact REI.

Sux that this brand I loved so much worries me so much.
Old 05-28-16, 01:53 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tmesis
Thanks. I did call to ask about the frame. The response I received was that since my model wasn't listed in the recall, the bike should be safe, and that if I am still concerned, I could take it into an REI store to get it checked out.

My main question is whether this bike has the same design issues as the other recalled models. I suppose the chances of a catastrophic failure on my particular bike are pretty small, but I am worried enough to discourage my wife from riding it, nor would be able to sell it to anyone else in good conscience.
Many years ago I did a group 'folding bike' ride in Philly. One person had a Dahon with a broken hinge, the bike would fold while riding making it unridable. Someone found a piece of wood and connected it to the frame with zip ties and string. It kept the frame together for the ride...and the owner replaced the hinge later.

This idea gives a framework for a solution. A safety device can be created by using a solid ( metal, plastic or wood ) secured to the frame ( with zip ties or straps ). Just an idea.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 05-28-16, 01:54 PM
downtube

When I ride it, if it fails, I'd get blamed. I do my own maintenance, so it'll be my fault?
This is beyond sad! Several people have head serious injuries....I really feel bad for them!!!

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 05-28-16, 04:20 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you have a Tern, then you are out of luck. Reinforcing it is perhaps an option. Ideally by welding a plate over the bottom weld, but that itself is problematic. Perhaps a stainless plate fastened by screws tapped into the hinge plate and the front top tube, underneath.
Old 05-28-16, 10:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A Co-Motion S&S type coupler might be technically feasible to replace the original folding hinge with a different type of detachable joint, but it may not be cost effective. Could be an interesting project for someone with the expertise and access to a machine shop.
Old 05-29-16, 03:53 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
It is not realistic to continue riding a Tern because the company seems unsure of why some of them fail. Take that FlyBy to REI and tell them this: You can't ride it, you can't sell it. Tern does not know if it will snap in two.
Old 05-29-16, 02:09 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ugh! I despise deceitful business practices.
I am dealing with Vodafone at the moment. They are seeking payment for an account they closed months ago. But they dont have the record that they did this........
Carphone warehouse rung and got the same story from Vodafone.
Vodafone deactivated the sim last august.
A manager admitted to me that there was at least one mishandling of my account. Then passed me to another manager who said there had been none. I pointed out the contradiction and the manager denied saying this!!
They will stop demanding payment if I can prove they lost my account details last August. Guess what they did not log this information in August on their systems........

If Vodafone made bikes they would be Terns.....

Last edited by bhkyte; 05-29-16 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-29-16, 02:40 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by bhkyte
I am dealing with Vodafone at the moment. They are seeking payment for an account they closed months ago. But they dont have the record that they did this........
Carphone warehouse rung and got the same story from Vodafone.
Vodafone deactivated the sim last august.
A manager admitted to me that there was at least one mishandling of my account. Then passed me to another manager who said there had been none. I pointed out the contradiction and the manager denied saying this!!
They will stop demanding payment if I can prove they lost my account details last August. Guess what they did not log this on their systems........

If Vodafone made bikes they would be Terns.....
Wow, that sux! And, you definitely have a point.
Old 06-03-16, 09:03 PM
Moametal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,I would like to offer my heartfelt sympathy to the people affected by these accidents.

Could tern accidents become a Criminal Investigation there?
Do you have a project to bring a class action against tern in United States?

I am concerned over the possibility that this company will lead consumers to an fatal accident.
There have been a number of incidents of tern's frame failure here Japan.

An injured person took his broken tern bike to National Consumer Affairs Center(NCAC) of Japan.
Then NCAC made out an accident analysis report.

https://www.kokusen.go.jp/pdf/n-20150917_1.pdf

This report will be admissible as evidence.

Last edited by Moametal; 06-03-16 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-03-16, 10:32 PM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Wow - I wasn`t aware of failures in Japan as well. Thank you for posting that.
Old 06-04-16, 09:09 AM
downtube

I translated the document with google, however it is still not easy to understand. I think it talked about a new recall and a fault in the strength of the weld. Can a Japanese speaker help translate?

Thanks,
Yan
Old 06-04-16, 09:39 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Reinforcing it is perhaps an option.
Dahon Safeline?
Old 06-04-16, 10:53 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Or just buy a Puma

Old 06-04-16, 01:46 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I have the non-folding Puma Nevis, and with a different set of rims & 8 speed Nexus IGH (plus different handlebars) it's a solid ride. I like the folding Biomega Boston quite a bit, but the cable scared me off. It does look like an amazingly sweet ride,...

Then I was interested in the Puma Pico - which I'm still thanking the powers that be that I DIDN'T get. Getting a different BMX handlebar to work on it would have been decently easy, but my inexperienced self would have spent way too much $$$ through trial & error. Definitely could be a solid ride if located (with the version WITHOUT the integrated basket handlebars).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bostonbike-ed02.jpg (46.8 KB, 791 views)
PUMA_BIKES_STUDIO_PICO.jpg (63.0 KB, 791 views)
IMG01817-20110828-1150.jpg (100.0 KB, 790 views)

Last edited by tds101; 06-04-16 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-04-16, 08:03 PM
Azreal911

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by owenfinn
Wow - I wasn`t aware of failures in Japan as well. Thank you for posting that.
good thing you replaced you entire lineup! also that pdf is talking about their really high end models the x20, ouch.
Old 06-22-16, 10:52 AM
tmesis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I'd post an update on my Novara Flyby, which as mentioned earlier, is manufactured by Tern and sold by REI.

I bought it slightly over a year ago and took it to my local REI yesterday. The interaction wasn't entirely pleasant, but in the end they generously agreed to a full refund. They have a one-year no questions asked guarantee but I was past that date by two months. (For the record, I would have been OK with store credit, partial refund, or just about anything they might have proposed. I just did not feel safe riding this bike.)

The bike dept guy first tried to tell me that the bike uses Tern parts but the frame is made by REI. I asked for a written documentation. He called Tern and Stile Products (their distributor, I think), and of course, Tern is in fact the manufacturer. I write this in case any Novara owners are reading and are considering returning their bikes to REI.

Recap:

-Tern frames have been snapping in half since several years ago. They issued an initial recall, and now an expanded one.

-Novara bikes are manufactured by Tern. They are not listed in any Tern recalls.

-Tern bikes outside of their recalls have had their frames suffer catastrophic failure, raising, at least for me, significant safety concerns for all Terns and Novaras.
Old 06-22-16, 11:21 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Fantastic!!! Even though REI tried to waffle a bit, they did the right thing.
Old 06-22-16, 08:53 PM
tmesis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm really grateful to have found this forum. I have potentially saved myself or my wife from a catastrophic accident with the info I found here.

Last edited by tmesis; 06-22-16 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 11:25 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic!!! Even though REI tried to waffle a bit, they did the right thing.
You used to be able to return anything without time limits at REI. However people abused this. I once was behind someone who returned a product that was 20 years old, so I can't blame them for changing their policy. Not surprised they accepted the return, I would have expected the same.
Old 06-23-16, 04:22 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

20yrs??? Crazy,...
Old 06-23-16, 01:41 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20yrs??? Crazy,...
Yes, this was mid 2000's and the customer service associate, said "you purchased this in 1991. Has it not met your expectations in the last 20 years?" I believe it was a water filter. REI accepted and the customer received a full refund. My assessment was that it was used probably five times (it looked brand-new) and they were only returning because they could after finding it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.