Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice for first long bike ride - 1800 miles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Looking for advice for first long bike ride - 1800 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-20, 06:03 PM
OKRevyve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Make sure your bike is in order well before the trip. Have it tuned and replace parts at least a month or so in advance so you can get out and ride things and get it checked over one last time if needed (especially if replacing cables). Also bring some spares like tubes and maybe a tire or two, a chain, brake pads and a cable or two might not be a bad idea especially since you have a support vehicle. Take tools and lubricants and cleaners as well. No need to worry as much about weight since the SAG wagon can carry it all.

Wear good cycling clothing that is clean each day and try and keep your downstairs area clean as well. Riding dirty can cause or exacerbate saddle sores. What you might consider is 3 bib shorts so you have one to wear, one to wash and a backup in case the washed pair isn't dry when you need it. I like bibs vs. just regular shorts as it stays in place better and there are some nicer women's specific designs which help aid in bathroom stops but a bike short will work as well. Also having arm/leg warmers/coolers can be handy for chillier morning or evening rides so you don't need to carry bulky clothes.

Also find a good chamois cream. I prefer the Bike Glide from Body Glide as it is like a deodorant stick so it is easy to apply and less messy than creams but you do what is best for you. Remember if you do a non stick based one apply with clean hands.

Stay hydrated and keep in mind plain water is not useful hydration having some sort of electrolyte mix like Nuun or Camelbak Elixir or Coco Hydro is helpful to replenish everything you lose. I typically do one bottle of plain water and one bottle for drink mix and with a good bottle (Camelback Podium or Specialized Purist) they won't hold onto flavors as well so you can rinse and be ok.

Eat well and keep in mind sometimes when cycling it can be hard to put some stuff down so easier to swallow stuff can be helpful. SIS Go ISO gels are great and don't require water to put down but things like GU or chews from Clif or ProBar are excellent as well. Though real food is nice as well especially when you are stopped and have time to relax a little. Test all this stuff out before you go and see what works best for you.

Baby wipes are useful for a ton of things but especially great when access to showers is limited or you need to clean up real quick. They can also help remove grease from hands.

If you are not riding with cycling shoes that is fine just make sure you have something with a nice stiff sole that gives your foot good support. Soft shoes are not ideal for cycling.

thank you so much for all of that information!
Old 03-01-20, 06:04 PM
OKRevyve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have done a few tours .... I can second the suggestion of Google maps,. On my last tour, one guy was responsible for checking the next day's planned route to make sure it didn't include dirt roads, closed roads, highways, etc. which don't always show up as such on every map app.

Most riders can easily do five hours morning, five hours evening at 10 mph if they are at all comfortable on their bikes---100-mile days, if the weather holds. I'd plan for less (after all, you can stop anywhere you can pull off the road, and have a shower, a hot meal, and a bed ... what a luxury. Good plan! (and good friends.)) That way you can stop and sight-see or whatever, if you choose to.

Also ... call local papers and TV stations along the way and let them know you will be coming. You could get a lot of press and TV interviews, and raise even more awareness. You might even get stuff like school kids coming out to the side of the road to greet you as you pedal by ... great for the cause. Maybe make a website, send a standard email to schools along the way saying you would be willing to talk to kids about PTSD ...... and another standard email for TV stations and newspapers. If there are local veterans groups ... they might come out and do a short ride-along or something, .... ways to generate more attention for the cause.

If you have scheduled interviews, those will necessarily determine your schedule, but in most cases only a day in advance.

As long as you can ride your bike comfortably for five or six hours at a time (or two segments of three-four hours) you can cover all kinds of ground and not even wear yourself out.

Great idea, great cause. I hope things go exactly as they should.
thank you! I love these ideas!
Old 03-01-20, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by OKRevyve
thank you so much for all of that information!
No worries, good luck on the journey. I was planning on writing some more but unfortunately my ride to the train station got in a little early and I wanted to make sure it posted so I might have missed a few things I had intended but as long as your bike, nutrition/hydration and clothing is order before the trip you should be fine and with a SAG wagon you are gold. Anything major happens they can scout ahead and help you out. Feel free to ask any questions or if you need specific help on parts or something like that I am always happy to help as much as I can.