Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Seeking 20" fun mini velo bike recommendations

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-20, 02:11 AM
titan2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi community, I know I am very late to the game but I am looking for a 20" mini velo which is fun and is able to take on "fat" tires. Appreciate if anybody can show some pictures of your ride or give me some names to research. I'm located in sunny Singapore and I am intending to making this into a commute bike. My budget is not fantastic, maybe about SGD$400-$600 but might change depending on what the market norm is. Thanks in advance!

Sorry I am not able to post any pictures until I have at least 10 posts. However you may find the sample at "Post your mini velo" thread, the Orgin8 Bully mini velo with Maxxis Hookworms.

Last edited by titan2002; 06-02-20 at 02:15 AM.
Old 06-02-20, 08:17 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Check out Orbea Katu. I have the 50 model which looks like they have discontinued (7 speed cassette) but they still have the 20 and 40. And it looks like the e-bike version is also gone. It's a nifty fun bike and super solid. Has 2.25 tires which to me is really wide. I'm actually thinking once the stock tires go, I may go a little narrower. The large front basket and fenders (the 50 didn't include the latter) make it commuter ready. Plus, you can add a rear rack for even more carrying capacity.
Old 06-03-20, 04:31 AM
titan2002

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
Check out Orbea Katu. I have the 50 model which looks like they have discontinued (7 speed cassette) but they still have the 20 and 40. And it looks like the e-bike version is also gone. It's a nifty fun bike and super solid. Has 2.25 tires which to me is really wide. I'm actually thinking once the stock tires go, I may go a little narrower. The large front basket and fenders (the 50 didn't include the latter) make it commuter ready. Plus, you can add a rear rack for even more carrying capacity.
Thanks for the recommendation, I did have a look and it's really nice. Singapore laws are quite strict on e-bikes thus the normal pedal version works out well. I think the front basket can be removed too. The bike looks really solid!
Old 06-08-20, 12:04 PM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Coast Cycles also located in Spore had a very cool line of fat tired minivelos. Bet you could find one used eventually. https://www.coastcycles.com
Old 06-08-20, 02:23 PM
Chester

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tdonline
Check out Orbea Katu.
I've got an Orbea Katu and like it a lot, but before anyone buys one, they should double-check the geometry specs. It's got 20" wheels but it's also got, compared to not only most mini velos, but also most race-geometry 700c bikes: a longer wheelbase, and the slacker heat tube and shorter fork rake make for longer trail steering.

It doesn't handle the way one would expect a mini velo to handle, and definitely doesn't fit into places where minis can fit. In the back of my car, I can fit a variety of mini velos after doing nothing more than taking the front wheel off. With the Katus, even if I take the front wheel and basket off, I can't fit it in the back of my car without partially folding down a seat.

It's sort of like a town cruiser/utility bike with 20" wheels. I use it for bringing one of my kids around on a seat mounted to a rear rack. It's perfect for that, because of the stability from its length and steering geometry.
Old 06-09-20, 06:51 AM
tdonline

True, the Katu has a bigger footprint than my recently sold Dahon. I can't compare it any other mini-velo as the Katu is my first one. It's pretty long and it's one reason I posted questions about a rear rack--I have concerns about a 20' specific rack stays reaching the bolt points.
Old 06-10-20, 03:09 PM
Chester

I'm not quite grokking what you're saying about your concern over a rear rack, but if it's helpful, I have some random rear rack (Blackburn, I think) mounted to my Katu, and it's just fine. Have a child seat mounted to the top of it and the chainstays are just long enough that I can pedal without heel strike, though I have to position my feet more forward on the pedals than I normally would. (Part of this has to do with the design of the Thule Yepp that I use, which has side skirts that come forward 1 to 2 inches further than they really need to, relative to where my kid's toes are.)
Old 06-11-20, 09:26 AM
tdonline

Regular size racks shouldn't be a problem, true. I want a 20in wheel specific rack though and I was concerned the stays would not reach on the Katu. I tried putting my Dahon rack on the Katu and it wasn't even close to fitting at all. I was in contact with Racktime and it looks like their 20in rack should work.
Old 06-11-20, 02:00 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
The Tern Cargo Rack will work, as it's height adjustable. I have it on my TernJoeP24, and it can work for a 20" wheeled folder.
Old 06-11-20, 05:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
this thread has been going on for a while.. https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...de-thread.html
Old 06-11-20, 06:08 PM
Chester

Oh, I'm sorry, I think maybe I'm getting that you want one designed for 20" wheels...in that the rack deck would be lower and not much higher up than it needs to be. Is that right?

In case it's helpful here's a (not great) detail shot of the rack I have on my Katu. I think the location of the mounts on the seat stays are pretty high up and so if there is a rack with shorter rack stays, I think the parts that connect to the seat stays ("seat stay stays?") would need to angle upward...

Old 06-11-20, 06:19 PM
Chester

Also, to OP, being in Singapore, I imagine you can get a lot of stuff that we can't get in the USA or even Europe.

Don't know if they sell these in Singapore, but Tern has, at least in Japan, a really funky 20" wheeled model called the AMP F1:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/jp/bikes/471/amp-f1
  • 20" wheels.
  • Shimano Altus 1x8 Drivetrain, Disc Brakes
  • Downsloping top tube, seemingly to accommodate...a BMX riser handlebar.
  • Comes stock with 1.95" wide tires, maybe can accommodate wider.
Looks like it'd be a blast to run around town on one of these.

Last edited by Chester; 06-11-20 at 06:34 PM.
Likes For Chester:
Old 06-11-20, 06:29 PM
tdonline

td101, I considered the Tern rack but its stays likely wouldn't work with the Katu. If you google the Katu and look closely, the seat stays are unusually high and far from the wheel.

Chester, I'm likely going with the 20in Racktime which has stays that angle up and down by 45 degrees. I put purchasing on hold because I was going to lose my job but I got a reprieve so bike stuff purchases are back on!
Likes For tdonline:
Old 06-11-20, 07:22 PM
Chester

The Racktime Foldit? They seem to have technical drawings that'll help you qualify fit ahead of time. I think if you get the model for 20" wheels, the rack stays that connect to the seat stays might not be long enough. Maybe the 24" or 26" models will work, though, and still be lower than the 29"/700C model.

Definitely would be better if you can get weight lower to the ground. But, FWIW, when I have my kid on his seat loaded up, the bike rides great. Really stable, though still top-heavy enough that I can't leave him sitting in his seat without propping up the bike...i.e. can't have him seated with nothing but the kickstand supporting the bike. But doubt this would be possible with a lower 20" wheel size rack, unless I switched the kickstand to a two-legged model.

(Very sorry to hear about your job, and hope you get past this as quickly as you want.)
Old 06-12-20, 08:36 PM
tdonline

Yes, the Foldit. I'll give the measurements another look before ordering. I have other questions about the Katu but will post them in that thread soon. Apologies to the OP for derailing the thread slightly. Agree with Chester, if you're in Singapore, you're likely to have more options than we do in the US when it comes to minivelos.

Close to losing my job but my bacon was saved...so good for now.
Old 06-15-20, 04:49 PM
Chester

In case you might be able to find one in Singapore, OP, another bike that might be up your alley is the Cannondale Hooligan:

https://www.sefiles.net/images/libra...1-277950-1.jpg

It came stock with 1.5" wide tires. Disc brakes, so I'm guessing could go wider...especially with the front having a lefty fork.

Think Cannondale stopped making them a few years ago, but maybe if they were distributed in SP, you can find one used.
Old 06-17-20, 07:09 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Mercier mini velo Nano, fun fun fun!
Old 06-18-20, 06:58 AM
ternMY
The Holy One

Bikes: Tern P10 & Tern X10 and soon S-Works/Cipollini

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Probably you should look into tern surge. fast and looks good
Likes For ternMY:
Old 09-01-20, 09:49 PM
Klaw

Bikes: Diamondback Response Sport '07 w BBSHD 1000W, Downtube 9FS ’08 w BBS02 750W, 2016 Cannondale Hooligan, 1996 Trek 800. 2022 Mercier Nano

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hooligans past 2015 can only support 1.8 max, I have hookworms on my 2016... barely. I think old ones pre-2010 can go 2.25, but think OP is thinking 3-4".
Old 09-02-20, 08:27 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ternMY
Probably you should look into tern surge. fast and looks good

Wow, they look good indeed.
If only they where not snap-in-half tern!