Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Use of your bike saves how many car trips per week. ?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.
View Poll Results: I use my bike for errands how many times per week.
1 to 2
0%
2 to 4
27.27%
4 to 7.
72.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 05:33 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

A poll.. In the course of a week the use of your bike saves you how many trips that otherwise would be done via a car. When My wife looks askance at the cost of new tires, etc. , I remind her I probably save at least 45 miles a week that otherwise I'd put on the car.. Conservatively speaking, I estimate that equates to 180 gallons of gasoline saved at a cost of about $270 per year.. . That pretty much pays for the cost of bike maintenance per year, that does not include wear and tear on the car.. What's your story.. ?
I'd say my minimum use of my bike for purposes of errands is at least 45 miles. Usually about 3 times a week..

^ Since January 1, 2012

Last edited by cyclezealot; 08-31-11 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-31-11, 05:40 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps a better metric would be "miles saved". I now save between 48-96 miles a week by cycling to work 1-2 days a week.

I typically filled up my gas every other friday before commuting, it just worked out that I could always get 2 weeks out of one tank. The first fillup day after I started commuting, I was so confused as to why I still had 25% of my tank left on friday. It was a funny feeling.

However, seeing the gasoline bill after a month of commuting? That was an awesome feeling.
Old 08-31-11, 08:12 AM
dcrowell
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I save roughly 40 miles a week just for commuting. I also run many errands on the bike.

40 miles isn't a lot, but I live close to everything. Also, those short trips kill gas mileage. My truck can average about 22mpg. Short around town trips probably lower that to 12-15mpg. Even so, that's only saving 3 gallons of gas per week for commuting.

The bigger savings will occur when I sell my truck sometime in the next few months. I'm going to live car-free and no longer have a car payment, insurance, or other related expenses.
Old 08-31-11, 12:00 PM
coldbike
The wizard of ...

Bikes: single speed Krampus, burley piccolo, salsa mukluk ti, CETMA cargo bike, M5 Shockproof,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am down to about $500 per year in gas savings, $500 in insurance (car is insured as a recreational vehicle since I drive less than 5000km per year) and then the hard to figure savings on car maintenance which is somewhere between $500 and $1500 per year.
Old 08-31-11, 12:28 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
It's hard to say. I got rid of my car, and I only use my wife's car when she is with me and unwilling to bike. I picked "4 to 7" because I can easily go a week without getting in a car, but I guess I could also say "zero" because choosing not to bike never means choosing to drive. It means either bussing, walking, or not going anywhere.
Old 08-31-11, 01:50 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I picked 2-4 because it depends...

I travel extensively for a living, usually via car but when I get where I am going I switch to the bicycle if at all possible. I also try to avoid driving on weekends. I use the bike to make grocery and beer runs, go out to eat and occasionally to get to work.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-31-11, 05:04 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
On a good week, over a hundred.

This huge printer which didn't fit flat in my trailer bed might not have fit in a compact car. Maybe saved a truck trip with that one.
Old 08-31-11, 06:50 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We haven't done a grocery run lately since DH is waiting for surgery on his elbow/hand, but we've been doing the in-town runs 5x a week and that adds up to 55 miles/week. Once he's had surgery and is able to ride longer, we'll get back to grocery runs which will add another 18-miles to that 55.
Old 09-01-11, 08:03 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
in may I had a goal of reducing my gas consumption from 2 tanks a month to one. The last three months I usually end up with half a tank left over.

probably 200 miles a month by bike, and another 200 miles a month by changing some habits, like shopping on my bike on the way home from work and consolidating trips and staying local.
Old 09-01-11, 10:43 AM
fotooutdoors

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Times? During the summer more than 7. I always commute by bike (5-7 trips/week), plus there are groceries, church, going to friends' houses, etc. As rob_e mentioned, choosing to go by something other than bike doesn't have to mean a car. Hmm...I don't have a car, so does that mean that biking offsets 0 car trips a week, since I would be taking public transit if I didn't ride?

Edit: average commuting and errand mileage per week since Jan 1 is 55 miles

Last edited by fotooutdoors; 09-01-11 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Add average mileage
Old 09-01-11, 02:13 PM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
None, because I would just ride the subway (metro).
Old 09-02-11, 05:35 PM
bbunk

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since everyone seems to be counting commuting to work I chose 4 to 7 since I commute 5 days a week. That ends up to 93+ miles a week, longer if I stretch my ride home out. I try to run a couple of errands a week but when I go with my wife we drive still.
My riding has enabled me to sell my car so we are a one car family so we are saving quite a lot. No gas, insurance, etc. It adds up quickly.