Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Office may be closing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 11:50 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Office may be closing

So we get invited to a meeting at work early this morning, and headquarters pretty much confirms what we've suspected for over a year now... they're more than likely going to be closing our office by the end of the year.

Our workforce has dwindled from 40 down to 15 people over the last 3 years and they haven't been hiring anyone to replace them, so there's been rumours flying around for the longest time that they are probably going to shut the office down. Not to worry, my company has a very developed "remote employee" program, so no one is out of a job. We're just going to work from home from now on.

So what does this have to do with cycling? Well, I started commuting to work 2 months ago on my bicycle. Last week I finally made the jump from 1 day a week to 2 days a week, and I've continued the 2 rides this week with a lovely ride this morning. I *LOVE* being able to bike to work. I look forward to it each time I do it, and I was hoping that perhaps next year I would be able to do an entire week of bicycle commuting (19 miles each way, so that's ~190 miles). This throws everything off.

I am quite beside myself. I am not sure what this bodes for me. I guess on one hand this makes the ability to live car-free a much easier prospect. But I find it funny (and perhaps a little telling) that my very first thought when hearing the news was "Oh no... I can't bike to work anymore!". Heh.
Old 09-02-11, 11:56 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Eh ... to me it's an opportunity to ride more before/during/after work
Old 09-02-11, 12:04 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Eh ... to me it's an opportunity to ride more before/during/after work
I thought that as well. However... I have to wake up at 5am to do the morning commute. As a non-morning-person-type-person, I'm going to have significant motivation issues continuing to wake up that early to ride. I'll definitely try it, but I know myself, and I predict... issues.
Old 09-02-11, 12:10 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have the same "issues" ... would LOVE to get my butt out of bed and ride before work ... but it doesn't happen.

Instead I ride right after work ... excellent stress release at the end of the day and dinner is right after my ride

I'd encourage you to start "working" earlier so you can ride earlier in the afternoon/evening
Old 09-02-11, 12:14 PM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a creature of habit.

OK, so here's what I'd do.

I'd pick a place a bit less than halfway to work - say, 6-8 miles away. Make it a coffee shop where you can get a light breakfast.

Starting NOW, stop there every morning on your way to work - don't care if you're driving, riding, or flapping your arms - stop there, and pick up something. Coffee, light snack, pack of gum, something for lunch later - literally anything. Try to be friendly and a bit memorable to the employees. Work to remember their names, and they'll work to remember yours. If you have a favorite drink, order that almost every day.

What you're doing is developing a habit, and becoming a 'regular' at the place. Eventually, you get the 'Cheers' effect, where you walk in, and 'everybody knows your name'.

Now, what does this get you? A place that you'll ride to - every day - before you start work. Ride there, get your coffee, relax and drink it (and maybe do some work with the free wi-fi?), then ride home.

Bingo... you have now worked in a daily ride into your work-from-home schedule, and at the same time, you're fighting the hardest part about work-from-home schemes - you're getting out of the house and talking to real people.
Old 09-02-11, 12:36 PM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you access to a 'fitness center' or gym for an early AM class or swim laps?

You could ride to/from the class to keep the mileage up.

If you pay for the class you will be more likely to attend.
Old 09-02-11, 12:39 PM
troutbreath

Bikes: Trek 4300, Cannondale Synapse 6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a trainer, and set it up outside your home office. That's where mine is. I hit it on Friday mornings when I have my office days (like today . . . I'm really working), and can get in an hour on the bike easy. It's boring, but it works. On the weekends, it comes off it's moorings and he hit the road.
Old 09-02-11, 01:07 PM
Duckles McGee

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hard Tail MTB - (looking for a road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ali_Pine
Have you access to a 'fitness center' or gym for an early AM class or swim laps?

You could ride to/from the class to keep the mileage up.

If you pay for the class you will be more likely to attend.
This is a great idea. My local gym has early classes (i.e. Spin class at 5:45)

Sorry to hear about another company closing... although work/ long commute always interferes with my time to ride. I wouldn't mind some time without the responsibility to just ride bikes, but I agree that I would eventually fall into a lazy state.
Old 09-02-11, 01:28 PM
bbunk

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No reason not to ride in the morning. And now you don't even have to worry about forgetting something at home.
Old 09-02-11, 01:49 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
pick a place a bit less than halfway to work
Exactly what I was thinking. Ride halfway, then back home. You can start with Tues and Thurs, then when you're ready add a third day, say Mon, Wed, and Fri. Eventually you will do all 5 days. Sounds like a blessing in disguise. No worries about being sweaty in the office, having to change right away. On the days you don't ride you can sleep in a little.
Old 09-02-11, 01:54 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Look at it this way - if you continue to ride to work, in the manner that's been suggested - out half your normal distance then back again - you'll have the dream commuting setup - the same distance ridden, but with a shower, fresh clothes and secure bike parking at your "office."
Old 09-02-11, 06:36 PM
motobecane69
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
I thought that as well. However... I have to wake up at 5am to do the morning commute. As a non-morning-person-type-person, I'm going to have significant motivation issues continuing to wake up that early to ride. I'll definitely try it, but I know myself, and I predict... issues.
i can totally see that, but it does make riding at lunch very easy to do. get out, go ride for 45 mins to an hour. come back and sit around naked in front of your desk working! thats what I do! also make riding afterwork a helluva lot easier too
Old 09-02-11, 06:51 PM
dahut
Ridin' South Cackalacky

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
So we get invited to a meeting at work early this morning, and headquarters pretty much confirms what we've suspected for over a year now... they're more than likely going to be closing our office by the end of the year.

Our workforce has dwindled from 40 down to 15 people over the last 3 years and they haven't been hiring anyone to replace them, so there's been rumours flying around for the longest time that they are probably going to shut the office down. Not to worry, my company has a very developed "remote employee" program, so no one is out of a job. We're just going to work from home from now on.

So what does this have to do with cycling? Well, I started commuting to work 2 months ago on my bicycle. Last week I finally made the jump from 1 day a week to 2 days a week, and I've continued the 2 rides this week with a lovely ride this morning. I *LOVE* being able to bike to work. I look forward to it each time I do it, and I was hoping that perhaps next year I would be able to do an entire week of bicycle commuting (19 miles each way, so that's ~190 miles). This throws everything off.

I am quite beside myself. I am not sure what this bodes for me. I guess on one hand this makes the ability to live car-free a much easier prospect. But I find it funny (and perhaps a little telling) that my very first thought when hearing the news was "Oh no... I can't bike to work anymore!". Heh.
Welcome to my world. My employer IS selling out by the end of the year.
But take heart - you changed by starting to ride. Now, you can start riding elsewhere, next year.
Old 09-02-11, 07:36 PM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I worked from home for a couple of years and the biggest challenge is that you never really "leave" the office. One of my "coworkers" found his solution by waking up, getting ready, and walking around the block. When he came through the door he was at work. At the end of the day he shut down the computer, turned off the light, and walk around the block. When he came through the door he was "home" from work.

No reason a bike ride can't be substituted for a walk. Finding an beginning and an end to your work day is important, lest you find yourself working 60+ hrs a week and not even realizing it.
Old 09-02-11, 09:36 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Now you guys are telling me about my life. I work at home two days a week to avoid the zoo of people coming in and asking me to pick ticks off the back of their projects (OK, that's kinda rude, but kinda true). My productivity isn't necessarily evaluated by how often I come in or whose ticks I pick and whether I'm picking them off a rhino or an orangutan.

I hadn't thought about riding *halfway* in and then turning around and coming back. I hadn't thought about walking around the block.

You guys are geniuses ... and you're cool because you ride bikes.
Old 09-02-11, 09:42 PM
Cyclomania

Bikes: American Eagle, Nishiki.Semipro. Great bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Run some errands before you start your work, go out for coffee and doughnuts, peruse your neighborhood--be a watcher, see something say something...the possibilities are endless.