Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

At a loss: Brompton vs Ori M9

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 11:33 PM
SixRaven

Bikes: ORi M10 LiteWeight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi!

Over the past few weeks I've gone through blogs, videos and several forums, and have read many threads in here as well, but I'm still so unsure... what I want is a comfortable, great looking folding bike. It doesn't have to be the fastest, but have good speed; and to handle itself well in the city... that I can pedal and not get tired of the ride within a few miles. Where I live I only have these choices: Dahon Vitesse D7, Tern Link D8, Brompton, and Ori M9 Urban. I tried them all. Liked best the Brompton and the M9. The Brompton goes around $250 USD higher than the M9 and honestly, didn't feel much of a difference. I do believe the M9 was lighter.

TL;DR So my question is: Brompton or Ori M9?

I would also love to try a Birdy Monocoque, but those aren't sold here yet... hope people that have tried these 2 (or these 3) could provide a much valuable insight!

Thanks in advance,

SR

Last edited by SixRaven; 01-27-14 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-28-14, 09:03 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Where are you located? When comparing costs, IMHO, you should consider whether Bomptons and ORis depreciate at the same rate in you area.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 01-28-14, 10:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
In the long run ... every part of a Brompton, if needed, can be found, and sent to you anywhere in the world.
Old 01-28-14, 10:49 AM
SixRaven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK
Where are you located? When comparing costs, IMHO, you should consider whether Bomptons and ORis depreciate at the same rate in you area.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
I'm in Mexico. No idea how they depreciate though... I've read that the Bromptons hold better value over time, not sure about the Oris, can't find much information on those over here.
Old 01-28-14, 01:57 PM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Ori are known for being closer to the riding position of a full size bike. You would find it easier to spend longer times in the saddle. All of the Ori components are industry standard so no problem there. I have a Mezzo i4 (ORI rebranded) and love it. Very well designed and made bike. Its fold is almost as small as the Brompton.
Old 01-28-14, 02:26 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Can anyone comment on the dimensions of the Ori Travel Bag? Would a Brompton fit inside that bag? Else could anyone comment on the dimensions of a folded Ori?
Old 01-28-14, 03:49 PM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'd look for a Birdy Classic .. they ride as well as the monocoque and the front suspension is superb ... might be hard to find in Mexico, but maybe not ... if you are ever on rough roads, you'll welcome the Birdy ride .. also, plenty of tire choices in the slightly larger 355 size ... and the Birdy uses industry standard components ..
Old 01-28-14, 04:58 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Ori will be a touch lighter than an all-steel 6spd Brompton,it will handle better,and the wheels will be easier to remove. The Brompton will fold quicker and smaller. If the ride is more important I'd suggest the Ori,if the fold is more important I'd suggest the Brompton.

Originally Posted by 2_i
Can anyone comment on the dimensions of the Ori Travel Bag? Would a Brompton fit inside that bag? Else could anyone comment on the dimensions of a folded Ori?
Unless they've made changes,the bag that came with my old Mezzo(previous incarnation of Ori) is currently housing my 20" Speed Pro TT,and will easily swallow a Brommie.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 01-28-14, 06:50 PM
SixRaven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the comments guys... @BruceMetras Yes, I'd love to try one but unfortunately no Birdys around here.

How about Bike Fridays? I've read great comments as well, but alas, cannot be found where I live. Bike Friday owners here? Models you could recommend? I'd also consider a BF if the shipping is not too expensive...
Old 01-28-14, 09:05 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Originally Posted by SixRaven
How about Bike Fridays? I've read great comments as well, but alas, cannot be found where I live. Bike Friday owners here? Models you could recommend? I'd also consider a BF if the shipping is not too expensive...
I have a New World Tourist. Folding is clumsy and the folded bike is bulky. Can be packed into a suitcase for travel, but dismantling and reassembly takes, for me, 1h+. Riding is all right. As a rule, I take BF along for air travel lasting more than 10 days and put one into a car when there are no constraints on space. In other cases it is Brompton. My BF is arranged with a basket so that I can throw in my backpack that I normally use. For Brompton I need to repack into its dedicated front bag.
Old 01-28-14, 09:45 PM
SixRaven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
I have a New World Tourist. Folding is clumsy and the folded bike is bulky. Can be packed into a suitcase for travel, but dismantling and reassembly takes, for me, 1h+. Riding is all right. As a rule, I take BF along for air travel lasting more than 10 days and put one into a car when there are no constraints on space. In other cases it is Brompton. My BF is arranged with a basket so that I can throw in my backpack that I normally use. For Brompton I need to repack into its dedicated front bag.
Noted! Thanks for the tip.

The only ones I can get where I live are those listed at the top of the thread... I think I'm almost set on the M9... is cheaper than the Brom, rides great, folds great, looks gorgeous and a few in here said good things about it. Yet is it weird that somehow I'm still thinking about the Brompton?
Old 01-28-14, 10:13 PM
2_i 

Well, with Brompton you buy into a very well integrated system which is very well thought through. Most other bikes just get you past folding. There are certainly quite a few accessories developed for Ori, from what I can see on their site, but I am not sure it represents such a well rounded system as Brompton.
Old 01-29-14, 07:23 AM
SixRaven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Well, with Brompton you buy into a very well integrated system which is very well thought through. Most other bikes just get you past folding. There are certainly quite a few accessories developed for Ori, from what I can see on their site, but I am not sure it represents such a well rounded system as Brompton.
Yeah... and that Brom can look so gorgeous. I was checking about lightning... Brompton offers 2 dynamos: the Shimano and the Schmidt, but the price difference between the two is extreme... does the Schmidt really justifies that cost?
Old 01-29-14, 08:15 AM
2_i 

My rule of thumb is as follows. If I ride the bike day in day out, it is Schmidt, and if I ride the particular bike occasionally, it is Shimano. For Brompton, as for most bikes following the rule, it is Shimano.
Old 01-29-14, 10:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I'm in Mexico.
then You, likely need to Fly to where the test rides are.. and bring your choice, back home.

or rely on touts from strangers ..
Old 01-29-14, 11:22 AM
zebede
Hello

Thanks so much for the comments guys... @BruceMetras Yes, I'd love to try one but unfortunately no Birdys around here.

I have the Bike Friday Tikit, Did 40 miles on it Saturday. Good Riding position, tailor made to the rider. Certainly is another one of the Top Shelf folders. The Tikit folds FAST but is a larger fold than an Ori or Brompton. Uses industry standard components. Great customer service.
Old 01-29-14, 11:37 AM
SixRaven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
then You, likely need to Fly to where the test rides are.. and bring your choice, back home.

or rely on touts from strangers ..
I've tested both the M9 and the Brom. They both felt great and they both look great - it's the price tag difference that causes some noise, just wanted to read some comments from people that possibly own one or the other. Or those other brands I can't find here.

Originally Posted by zebede
I have the Bike Friday Tikit, Did 40 miles on it Saturday. Good Riding position, tailor made to the rider. Certainly is another one of the Top Shelf folders. The Tikit folds FAST but is a larger fold than an Ori or Brompton. Uses industry standard components. Great customer service.
Thank you for the input... wish I could try one of those.
Old 01-29-14, 12:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Never seen an M9 that Im aware of in El Norte, where I live (its not a big Town)

FWIW Eugene has a Regional Airport , if you want to Make a Bike Friday Factory Visit- test Ride..

There you have a wide Menu of choices and they will make a bike to Fit you .

[might have one that is OK on hand, but they tend to build a bike to Spec as the order comes in.]

AFAIK, all other folders are a single product with bits altered ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-29-14 at 12:09 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 10:25 PM
SixRaven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok so at the end I got a black Ori M10 Superlight! The thing is gorgeous and drives great and I got an additional discount because I was getting the M9. It's being delivered until Monday so it shall prove a long wait... no Brompton-3-month-long, but still....
Old 01-29-14, 10:39 PM
2_i 

Ok so at the end I got a black Ori M10 Superlight!
Congratulations!
Old 01-30-14, 02:11 AM
zebede
Hello

Pictures! We need pictures please, There'd is a joke on here, " pictures or it didn't happen" . Oh and congratulations.
Old 01-30-14, 03:16 AM
cpg

Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good choice, I am sure you wont be disappointed. Have fun riding it.
Old 01-30-14, 07:35 AM
SixRaven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Congratulations!
Originally Posted by zebede
Pictures! We need pictures please, There'd is a joke on here, " pictures or it didn't happen" . Oh and congratulations. !
Originally Posted by cpg
Good choice, I am sure you wont be disappointed. Have fun riding it.
Thank you!

@zebede I will definitely post pictures. They told me at the store that it might arrive on Saturday.
Old 01-31-14, 01:07 PM
Alec E

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Ori available for test rides somewhere in Mexico? I'd love to know where.
Old 01-31-14, 09:56 PM
SixRaven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alec E
Is the Ori available for test rides somewhere in Mexico? I'd love to know where.
Yes; in Guadalajara, Mexico. I believe also in Mexico City, but I'll ask. Where are you at?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.