Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Short term boost? (tired legs)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 12:59 PM
Keir

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well this may be a dumb question but I figure I'll give it a shot.

My legs were WORN OUT during today's ride. Didn't have much juice at all. There's a new group of serious riders I'm going to jump in with tomorrow morning and really don't feel like getting dropped. I know I can hang with them on a normal today but maybe not with these legs. So other than rest, what are some ways to give yourself a boost for a ride when taking it easy isn't much of an option? I need to feel stronger and more energetic tomorrow than I did today. Would it help to eat like a million carbs tonight?

I'm all out of Clenbuterol.
Old 10-01-10, 01:05 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Caffeine, most pre-workout protein shake powders body builders use have caffeine in them to help give the extra boost to get a bigger pump.
Old 10-01-10, 01:07 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Keir
Well this may be a dumb question but I figure I'll give it a shot.

My legs were WORN OUT during today's ride. Didn't have much juice at all. There's a new group of serious riders I'm going to jump in with tomorrow morning and really don't feel like getting dropped. I know I can hang with them on a normal today but maybe not with these legs. So other than rest, what are some ways to give yourself a boost for a ride when taking it easy isn't much of an option? I need to feel stronger and more energetic tomorrow than I did today. Would it help to eat like a million carbs tonight?

I'm all out of Clenbuterol.
If i were you, i'd start resting. 48 hours of no exercise, then do a easy ride and see how you feel. If you are still tired, take another 24-48 hours off. Eat your carbs & proteins and sleep a lot. You won't lose much fitness. I took off about 96 hours after my legs were feeling dead last week.

It's either resting a bit now and get the overreaching symptoms out, or severely overreach and feel like s!ht for a few weeks.

Originally Posted by Ghostcode
Caffeine, most pre-workout protein shake powders body builders use have caffeine in them to help give the extra boost to get a bigger pump.
I don't do this often, but your post deserves this

Old 10-01-10, 01:13 PM
Keir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@mcjimbosandwich

figured that might be the only option. you are probably right. im just starting to get into group riding with faster rides and i don't often get a chance to ride when they do, so i want to take advantage of the opportunity tomorrow. i should probably be smart and walk away from the bike though.
Old 10-01-10, 01:19 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You said your legs felt tired today? What kind of ride was it? I mean, were you pushing hard despite your legs feeling tired or were you just spinning around easy. I suspect you just made things worse; as soon as you knew your legs were blown you should have either quit and headed home or just spun super easy for recovery. You won't really be able to rest enough to between now and tomorrow's ride. You can either HTFU tomorrow and try to push through any discomfort, or try to hook up with the group some other time. And unless you weren't feeling good because you were bonking, stuffing your face with carbs won't help you either.
Old 10-01-10, 01:19 PM
Ghostcode
Bicycle Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich

I don't do this often, but your post deserves this
The OP asked for more energy, and wanted to feel stronger in the morning. I told him exactly one way to help accomplish that. The obvious advice is to rest, but he doesn't want to. I gave him what I thought to be the next best option because it's true.
Old 10-01-10, 01:20 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd say rest as well, especially since you are not forced to ride tomorrow.

I had a bad day one at Killington this year and ended up doing a 40 mile time trial chasing the time cut, which put me behind the 8-ball for the next two days.

Day two was a shorter race, but I was feeling truly horrible so I dealt with it by ...

1. taking an ice bath (this sucks a lot)
2. spending most of the day in bed (this does not suck)
3. eating more than usual
4. foam roller work (this is like getting a severely painful but therapeutic massage)

day three, believe it or not, was the queen stage (70mi with some big climbs) and I actually felt pretty good for the first half and spent it in the front answering attacks and protecting my teammate. I didn't last for the final climb, but at least I got half a race out of my tired legs.
Old 10-01-10, 01:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If I have the time (and I rarely do anymore since the kids were born) I like to take a cool bath (55-60F ?). I tried ice baths but couldn't stand them. I think I get most of the benefit with less shrinkage if it's merely cool.
Old 10-01-10, 01:56 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by Ghostcode
The OP asked for more energy, and wanted to feel stronger in the morning. I told him exactly one way to help accomplish that. The obvious advice is to rest, but he doesn't want to. I gave him what I thought to be the next best option because it's true.
please don't ever coach anyone.
Old 10-01-10, 02:52 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Eating a million calories of carbs tonight will give you really bad gas tomorrow. That might work to your advantage.
Old 10-01-10, 03:10 PM
Trucker Dan

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amphetamines.
Old 10-01-10, 04:52 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
please don't ever coach anyone.
The OP's riding TOMORROW MORNING, and you're busting on a guy for basically saying, "You're screwed. Take some caffeine and cross your fingers." after giving the OP advice to:

If i were you, i'd start resting. 48 hours of no exercise, then do a easy ride and see how you feel. If you are still tired, take another 24-48 hours off. Eat your carbs & proteins and sleep a lot. You won't lose much fitness. I took off about 96 hours after my legs were feeling dead last week.
The OP wants to ride TOMORROW MORNING, you give THAT advice, and then you facepalmed somebody??!?!

Huh?
Old 10-01-10, 04:58 PM
531phile 
I'm Carbon Curious

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 10-01-10, 05:03 PM
Keir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so, uh, rest. got it.

And I usually take the time to recover and all that but I just really wanna freaking ride tomorrow
Old 10-01-10, 05:13 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3398 Post(s)
Liked 5,582 Times in 2,896 Posts
If i were you, i'd start resting. 48 hours of no exercise, then do a easy ride and see how you feel. If you are still tired, take another 24-48 hours off.
Agreed.
I ride every second day, mainly because my legs feel dead if I ride two days in a row.
If I put *two* rest days between rides, I can ride a hell of a lot harder,
and run my pulse 10-15 points higher than usual, but going w/o riding two days in a row drives me nuts.
Old 10-01-10, 05:23 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by achoo
The OP's riding TOMORROW MORNING, and you're busting on a guy for basically saying, "You're screwed. Take some caffeine and cross your fingers." after giving the OP advice to:

The OP wants to ride TOMORROW MORNING, you give THAT advice, and then you facepalmed somebody??!?!

Huh?
never had an over-reach, have you?

here, let's do a quick calculation: you stop riding when your legs feel dead, you lose 2-3 days of training and little fitness

you over-reach, you will eventually be very tired or get sick. either way, it'll take you more than a week (if not more than a week) to get back. by which time, you will have lost quite a bit of fitness.

do us a favor and save your inanity for another place
Old 10-01-10, 05:28 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Originally Posted by Keir
Ok, so, uh, rest. got it.

And I usually take the time to recover and all that but I just really wanna freaking ride tomorrow
look, you are a grown adult. we provide you our opinions based on our experiences and advice we have received and read. do whatever you wish with it, but unless if you have access to iodine, phosphorus, and pseudefed, there's nothing you do that's gonna boost your performance. Not caffeine, not carb load, not protein, zilch. Your body is in repair mode, and you ain't gonna squeeze another ounce of performance out of it.

chances are, one more day of riding ain't gonna put you in a worse place than you already are in, but it'd be unrealistic to expect your performance to improve. Much better to wait when you have better form & impress the guys then.
Old 10-01-10, 05:33 PM
ls0725

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
have a buddy stay at your back with a stun baton or tazer, tell him to zap you if you start to lag from the group or slow down. that will be the best incentive.
Old 10-01-10, 05:35 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3398 Post(s)
Liked 5,582 Times in 2,896 Posts
Originally Posted by ls0725
have a buddy stay at your back with a stun baton or tazer, tell him to zap you if you start to lag from the group or slow down. that will be the best incentive.
This will eliminate the need for him to ride so close.

https://www.k9electronics.com/categor...ngCollars.aspx

Old 10-01-10, 05:42 PM
1200cycles

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix RC 2009 (sold)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a novice when it comes to this, your effort is probably a lot more than what I have been doing to get back into physical activity so it might not work for you but protein shakes have helped me continue doing rides daily. With the shakes I used one recover ride instead of riding every other day or resting for two days in between hard efforts w/o shakes.

If you drink a protein shake now, another one tonight and another one in the morning with a good warm up you might be good.

This could be a bad idea though, I don't have enough experience with protein shakes and nutrition to give professional advice so I don't know but maybe that would help.
Old 10-01-10, 05:48 PM
ls0725

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
This will eliminate the need for him to ride so close.

https://www.k9electronics.com/categor...ngCollars.aspx

tried and failed. buddy had the remote and energy bars in the same jersey pocket. he was reaching for the bars but.....
Old 10-01-10, 06:16 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
7-11 riders used to use this back in the 80's.. Before a long ride or a race, one way to help your legs feel fresh and light is to take two Anacin and sublingual B-12 about one hour prior. Dosage for B-12 can vary from 500 to 2000 mcg. The Anacin contains caffeine and aspirin. These products will "lighten your legs" by the caffeine and aspirin's effect, combined with the nervine tonic of the B-12.
Old 10-01-10, 06:22 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22687 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,200 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
7-11 riders used to use this back in the 80's.. Before a long ride or a race, one way to help your legs feel fresh and light is to take two Anacin and sublingual B-12 about one hour prior. Dosage for B-12 can vary from 500 to 2000 mcg. The Anacin contains caffeine and aspirin. These products will "lighten your legs" by the caffeine and aspirin's effect, combined with the nervine tonic of the B-12.
Interesting idea but I wonder if there is a controlled trial to see if this really makes a difference.
Old 10-01-10, 06:25 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
The soigneurs used to give it to there riders all the time.. Pro riders are only going to use something they know will help..

Another great product is Berocca Performance, by Bayer. These are effervescent tablets containing B vitamins with added vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and zinc. On the Pro-Tour in Europe, the riders took Berocca Performance two times a day; once in the morning, and once after the race. This product is phenomenal but very hard to find in the US..
Old 10-01-10, 06:29 PM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look, you are a grown adult. we provide you our opinions based on our experiences and advice we have received and read. do whatever you wish with it, but unless if you have access to iodine, phosphorus, and pseudefed, there's nothing you do that's gonna boost your performance. Not caffeine, not carb load, not protein, zilch. Your body is in repair mode, and you ain't gonna squeeze another ounce of performance out of it.

chances are, one more day of riding ain't gonna put you in a worse place than you already are in, but it'd be unrealistic to expect your performance to improve. Much better to wait when you have better form & impress the guys then.
</thread>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.