Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Rantings and Ravings

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Rantings and Ravings

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 01:20 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've never seen the big deal with expecting a bike rack to be at every destination a cyclist goes to, just find something longer than it is wide, lock up to it, problem solved.
Old 06-25-10, 02:41 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson
I've never seen the big deal with expecting a bike rack to be at every destination a cyclist goes to, just find something longer than it is wide, lock up to it, problem solved.
Occasionally it's difficult. The only railing might be on the wheelchair ramp and you would block it, the only vertical pole might be a young sapling a thief could defeat and damage. All the good spots might be taken etc.
Old 06-25-10, 02:54 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Occasionally it's difficult. The only railing might be on the wheelchair ramp and you would block it, the only vertical pole might be a young sapling a thief could defeat and damage. All the good spots might be taken etc.
Cyclists are cunning and resourceful, though. I can only think of one bike rack in my entire city, and it's in front of a place I never go, which is probably why I don't expect them.
Old 06-26-10, 12:51 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
McDonald's is hiring.
Old 06-27-10, 05:27 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson
True enough, in places where there aren't very many bikes. Using a cable lock, you can even lock to a sewer grate. But in popular spots, bike racks are a definite necessity.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-30-10, 05:30 AM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4000Miles
I hear you about the bike racks thing. My boyfriend and I needed to go to Radio Shack for something recently (and of course we biked there!). Not only was it ridiculously difficult to get to by bike, but they had the whole SUPPORT TEAM RADIO SHACK (a cycling team, if you don't follow racing) poster up in the window. Guess what? No bike racks. Not even a solid post to which we could lock our bikes... we had to use a tree. The staff were also really rude, actually...
Since when does bike racing have anything to do with practical cycling.....commuting? Anyway, just lock it up to what you can and forget about it, or lock them to each other with a u-lock and wrap a cable through the wheels. Is someone really going to carry off two bikes locked together from a strip mall?
If the staff are rude then shop somewhere else.