Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Did my first century, tour of OC (w/pics)

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 10:30 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

90 days ago I hadn't thought about biking, didn't own a bike, nor had I biked in over 20 years. Now I own two, and have racked up 1200 miles. About 30 days after I purchased my hybrid, I set the goal of doing a century ride in under 7 hours.

So on saturday, I attempted to do the <7 hour century. It was self supported since there was no event. About 65 miles of it was along bike paths, and for a newbie (and new father who would like to take less risk) like me the bike paths (when mostly empty) give me that warm and fuzzy safe feeling so I tried to incorporate as many as possible into my route. Somehow I ended up picking one of the hottest days of the year, and was fairly shocked at how much water I consumed. I've ridden a shortened version of this ride a few times on slightly cooler days and needed much less water. Spending hours at 100+ degrees seemed to make me need a shockingly larger amount of water compared to a 90 degree day.

So, the essential statistics (taken from Garmin Edge/Garmin connect site):
Bike weight: 45lbs loaded with supplies and water
Avg Trip Temperature: 97.9 °F
Max Trip Temperature: 109.4 °F
Distance: 102.97 mi
Moving Time: 06:40:09 (time to 100 miles was 6:29:55)
Elapsed Time: 07:07:25 (time to 100 miles was 6:53)
Elevation Gain: 3,041 ft
Fluid consumed: 196 oz, plus 60oz upon return...nearly 15lbs of water total

During the whole ride I ended up off the bike for 7 minutes total for lunch, on Cliff Dr. All other non-moving time was at red lights.

The map of the course with elevation data (stats are off on this site, but the map is

accurate):
https://www.runningfreeonline.com/act...subView/Height

And pics (click on them for larger version):

The beast of a bike...45lbs in this photo. 36lbs when I returned home.

Santiago canyon/Cooks corner. This photo was actually from an 80 mile training ride a couple weekends ago. Came across a George Barris creation.

Aliso creek bike trail...widest bike trail I've ever seen, and its so empty every time I'm on it

Aliso/Wood Canyons Regional Park, pic taken just a mile from the shores in Laguna Beach, unfortunately the trail dead ends half a mile from here. Never get to the ocean.

OC Smog from Irvine on Baranca Pkwy

Upper newport bay

Lunch time on Cliff Dr, above the PCH overlooking the ocean:

The results:

So there ya have it. I feel its a really nice and safe route. Any SART junkies should be able to do this one, even with very little road riding experience. As for me, it's time to get started on my next goal, A 20mi loop in under 1 hour. I think that one will pose quite a challenge, and for training I'm hoping to meet up with some locals (maybe from this board?) to do some training up on GMR. I'm a bit intimidated to try it alone, but maybe I'm overestimating the automobile traffic up there.

Last edited by jmX; 09-27-10 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-26-10, 10:42 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations! You picked a heck of a hot day to accomplish your goal.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-26-10, 10:48 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nice Job!

I wonder which is more well equipped, the Bat Mobile or your bike!
Old 09-27-10, 06:12 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks guys. I don't feel my bike was over equipped at all. It would have been suicide to take less water and some of the water from the fountains along the way taste pretty funky. The water fountain off the SART in Yorba Linda park has the best stuff. 5 stars. Shame it was 92 miles into the ride.

Last edited by jmX; 09-28-10 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-27-10, 06:33 PM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats! You seemed to be VERY prepared! 45 pounds? Arghhhh! That's HEAVY. You had to work really hard for that century. The bike rack and rack pack alone add a lot of weight.

I have done up to 72 miles in a day riding around the OC with just the three jersey pockets and no seat pack. Two spare tubes, Cell phone, MultiTool with Chain Breaker, Tire Levers, Air Chuck SL with two CO2s and a bike mounted micro pump. Two water bottles and refills on the way.

You could probably streamline down from your current rig but for a first unsupported century you did awesome! You might want to have stopped for a real 30 minute lunch and stretched your legs. 11 minutes off the bike in 100+ miles is BRUTAL!

Congrats!
Old 09-27-10, 06:43 PM
jellis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did a century on Saturday morning on PCH, the SART, and Santiago Canyon. How hot was Santiago Canyon??? And I went through there around 9-10am. When I made it back down into Laguna and hit the coastal air it actually felt cold compared to the inland sauna.

Nice work, congrats.
Old 09-27-10, 06:47 PM
Accordion

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jellis
I did a century on Saturday morning on PCH, the SART, and Santiago Canyon. How hot was Santiago Canyon??? And I went through there around 9-10am. When I made it back down into Laguna and hit the coastal air it actually felt cold compared to the inland sauna.

Nice work, congrats.
What was your route to get the 100? I ride all of those streets often. SART is like 28, Santiago could be another 15, Huntington to Laguna another 20, etc.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-10, 06:47 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm inspired. I'm in Costa Mesa. Rode down to the beach yesterday and it was hot enuf thankyou. A century is one of my goals by the end of the year.
Old 09-28-10, 11:17 PM
jellis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In response to Accordion...

Long Beach to SART on PCH (14 miles). SART to Chapman, back to PCH, back to Chapman (boring, but a safe and fast 33 miles). I then take Chapman east which turns into Santiago Canyon Road, which turns into El Toro Road, which connects to Laguna Canyon Road back to PCH (about 33 miles). PCH from Laguna Canyon Road back to Long Beach (about 30 miles). It worked out to be 110 miles for me.
Old 09-30-10, 05:38 PM
johng723

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01, 2006 StumpJumper FSR Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome! Congrats man! I've also been riding for just under 2 months but have yet to go further than 40 miles. I was aiming to ride the OC Granfondo next weekend at a nice slow pace, but work is getting in the way...I've always wanted to hit up GMR and do some training rides on those hills. If you're looking for a riding buddy I'd be more than happy to join you any time!