Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Ever notice how many bicycle tires are grossly underinflated?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Ever notice how many bicycle tires are grossly underinflated?

Old 09-09-10, 12:51 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I invested in a set of kevlar tires, so I wouldn't have to carry spare tubes and all that. Six months later, I got a flat
Yup, I have puncture resistant tires and I still carry spare tubes, pump, tools and a patch kit.
Old 09-09-10, 01:07 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Not unless a woman is riding it.....
Old 09-09-10, 01:08 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Careful of Signature Quotes: Irony

Originally Posted by colleen c
Irony: The extinct dinosaurs is providing us with oil for greenhouse effect that may lead the car loving human race to their own extinction as it possibly did for the dinosaur..........
This quote contains one factual error and several assumptions, leading a humorous (and ironic) conclusion. Be careful, the current geological science suggests that petrolium in its various raw forms has nothing whatsoever to do with ancient swamps, dinosaurs, or anything of the kind. There appear to be continuous, deep geological processes that are producing oil. No swamps or dinosaurs appear to be involved.
Old 09-09-10, 01:11 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lucky he and I ride the sane train home.

Originally Posted by CACycling
Not even going to ask what the alternative train is like.
I need to take a spelling class , but that alternate train is the insane bart train kinda where that kid got shot in the back by a bart police mistaken his gun for a Taser
Old 09-09-10, 01:20 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
This quote contains one factual error and several assumptions, leading a humorous (and ironic) conclusion. Be careful, the current geological science suggests that petrolium in its various raw forms has nothing whatsoever to do with ancient swamps, dinosaurs, or anything of the kind. There appear to be continuous, deep geological processes that are producing oil. No swamps or dinosaurs appear to be involved.

Wow. I've never knew that, cool.
Old 09-09-10, 02:43 PM
Booger1

Oil is made from plankton(alive and well and lives in the sea) according to most sources.

oh,yea..check those tires!

Last edited by Booger1; 09-09-10 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-09-10, 04:21 PM
CptjohnC
Old, but not really wise

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dew Drop (the daily driver),'07 Specialized Roubaix (the sports car), '99 ish Kona NuNu MTB (the SUV), Schwinn High Plains (circa 1992?) (the beater)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That being said, I think I found part of my own misunderstanding of why some cyclist run on flat tire. Too broke to buy a pump perhaps?
Too broke or too ignorant, in equal measure? I discovered how bad it was while I was looking at used bikes. While some were probably scammers trying to mask other problems, many seemed completely honest but just never bothered to buy pumps.

I often wonder about the low seat thing, but I think it is a result of lack of confidence. My kids like their seats much lower than is 'correct' because they don't want to feel like they can't put their feet down without dropping off the seat.
Old 09-09-10, 04:38 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Along with the under inflated tires, some of these folks don't carry spare tubes or patches. I would naturally think these folks are not commuting folks, but not so. Two of my coworker are commuter. One met up with me at the train station with a flat. Lucky he and I ride the sane train home. I offer him my patch and lever. My second worker comes to work on a low tire and pump it up at work. He is a year round commuter who does 15+ miles a day commute. He carries no spare tube, patch or pump. Nothing more than a brown bag lunch and a water bottle on a bike with a semi flat tires. I look out for this guy and do a quick check of his bike whenever I can for him. The last time I did that, his brakes were very loose and I had to tighten it up for him.

There are some stuff in life I will never understand.........
If you are constantly fixing and adjusting their bikes, whats the incentive for them to?

Although I would love a coworker I could go to for help with my bike. How much do you charge and do you make house calls?
Old 09-09-10, 05:12 PM
IchBinDarren
Piloting My Way

Bikes: 2010 Trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel neglecting if I am a underinflated by only a few pounds. It is rewarding to have optimal air pressure because of how easily the bike rolls.

The same goes with car tires, so many people neglect their tires by running with dangerously low pressure, this is such a waste of fuel. My truck tires have exactly the right pressure or even 1 pound more.
Old 09-09-10, 05:22 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by exile
If you are constantly fixing and adjusting their bikes, whats the incentive for them to?

Although I would love a coworker I could go to for help with my bike. How much do you charge and do you make house calls?
I know what you mean, but this coworker is not the smartest in the world. He's a janitor, speak very little English, but very kind and offer us food from home for our help. I, and along other coworker sometimes worries for his well being. We tried teaching him some mechanical stuff but he just do not have that learning thought process even if it means something that might be a safety concern.
Old 09-09-10, 06:47 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by John_
Although I almost can't fathom the occurrence, I can still manage to sneak my hand and squeeze several unsuspecting tires, whilst trying to remain inconspicuous during this apparently creepy gesture, albeit, to an "inanimate" object.
You would be able to cop a feel on my aluminum cross bike, but ( at 30 lbs ) you'd have to tell her she's not heavy. You'd never be able to feel my carbon road bike up, though, because she doesn't like being tied down with locks, and doesn't go outside without being closely supervised. If you did, though, Gazelle would tell you that her tubes are hard as nails, the better to roll up hills. Bestla ( the giant ) would point out that her 28s are a bit more relaxed, and let her prance over dirt trails that would stop a road bike in its tracks.
Old 09-09-10, 07:05 PM
travelmama

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see far too many on under inflated tires. If time permits, I will stop the rider and offer a pump or two. Usually, the rider is an non-English speaking immigrant who is more than grateful to receive my help and will smile like there is no tomorrow. If I see a young dude trying to be "hip" on his recycled 10 speed, I will simply tell him to pump it up in the front or back. One day my friend and I went for a 10 mile ride and came across a guy who was huffing it like the police were chasing him. His rear wheel was FLAT. I told him about it and offered a pump or two. He was unaware and refused and kept up with his chase. Unfortunately, the next day one of the bikes we rode had TWO FLATS.
Old 09-09-10, 07:47 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
While we're at this, lets not forget those riding a bike to the sound of a hundred tiny mice, all squeaking their heads off! A can of lube isn't that expensive, and a lot cheaper than a new chain.

I have come to the conclusion that the vast majority of the population is oblivious, and incapable of logical thought processes.
Old 09-10-10, 12:20 AM
whitecat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
I have come to the conclusion that the vast majority of the population is oblivious, and incapable of logical thought processes.
Haha, it would be funny if it wasn't oh so true!
Old 09-10-10, 01:05 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Heck, I found two of 'em on my bike yesterday. Then after I pumped up the rear and gave it a spin, the rim started dragging against the brake pads. I'll have to dig out the spoke wrench in the morning.
Old 09-10-10, 01:35 AM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow. I've never knew that, cool.
He's referencing an alternative hypothesis with some support; the current consensus is still that the vast majority of our oil comes from squished plants.
Old 09-10-10, 02:24 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmitt
He's referencing an alternative hypothesis with some support; the current consensus is still that the vast majority of our oil comes from squished plants.
So where did the hydrocarbons on Titan come from?
Old 09-10-10, 02:45 AM
jsmonet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i like my tires like i like my women: skinny, hard, and 23.

/pressure policing isn't as effective outside roadbike crew because most of the fat tire brigade have few problems with snake bites/pinch flats...speaking comparatively of course
Old 09-10-10, 06:33 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Crushed Greek mythology.
Old 09-10-10, 08:57 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Answer #1: From all the dead, half-cocked theories about how humans have nothing to do with climate change. Er, I should say that the theories are at least dead to realistic, logically thinking people w/ any understanding of science. Sadly, that doesn't always equate to changes in thinking on the part of big business and politicians... not to mention a sizable portion of the US population.

Answer #2: From all the oil that Europeans has saved by actually internalizing/pricing in a lot of the environmental costs of oil consumption in the form of higher gas taxes.
Old 09-13-10, 11:48 AM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You must be mistaking me for a researcher in either exogeology or petroleum science. I'm reporting what the current scientific consensus is. There is some support for the abiotic hypothesis, but it is not the currently accepted consensus.

Hope this helps, please stop confusing nice people.
Old 09-13-10, 12:08 PM
toThinkistoBe
Cheese

Bikes: Trek 520 & an old huffy mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could make up some business cards offering a "repair" service to make their bike 20-50% more efficient for $5. If you feel bad taking $5 just to pump up their tires and adjust the seat, you could offer some pointers too (like which side of the street to ride on).
Old 09-13-10, 01:55 PM
lshaped

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Mojave 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
after many years of cycling i did my first charity ride this past weekend- i couldn't believe how many
people showed up with bikes that had near flat tires. the on-site bike mechanic spent quite a bit of time
inflating and telling people how the bike they were riding was either too small or too large or the seat was at least
8 inches too high or too low.
i overheard the mechanic tell one guy that the stem on his mountain bike was up so high it was in danger of breaking off
during his ride since there was only a couple of inches left in the head tube. the mechanic said it was a huge safety issue
the rider told the mechanic "i've ridden 10 miles so far this year and nothing has happened, just leave it be, besides if you lower it my back will hurt"
Old 09-13-10, 02:08 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,802 Posts
Hope that charity ride wasn't too long.
Old 09-13-10, 02:32 PM
Booger1

Titan had an ocean at one time......as did alot of our other neighbors.

Make sure to check those tires.

Last edited by Booger1; 09-13-10 at 02:37 PM.