Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Where Did You Ride or Walk Today?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 06:30 PM
kc9eog

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Electra Ticino 7D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode to the new grocery store 2.5 miles away, when I got home I had two broken eggs need to figure out how to carry eggs on a bike.
Old 05-10-15, 06:32 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Sunday -- 41.03 km with 764 metres of climbing ... a 1.86 ride. Lots of climbing!!

From home, we immediately climbed, and climbed ... a meandering route to the top of a lovely, fun road which mostly descends to Margate.

Then we hung a right and climbed the 9 km to Sandfly. There are a couple very short downhills and a couple small sections that are almost flattish, but mostly it is a 9 km climb. And as we got closer to the top, the temperature dropped. It was noticeably cooler up there.

We continued on up and up past Longley until we finally reached the very top of route. And then it was a long, long descent back into our suburb. A bit of that descent was gravel, but that's OK. The difficult part of the descent was that it was cold!! My hands and feet were blocks of ice by the time we got to the bottom and started climbing again on the last bit of the route to home. In fact, I was glad of the last bit of climbing because it gave me a chance to warm up a little.

The warmest temp on the ride was about 13C and it dropped to 10C by the time we finished. I think it was even cooler than that up near the top of the route, and I should have been wearing toe covers!!

We also had waves of light rain/drizzle come over plus winds gusting to about 45 km/h to add to the chill factor.

View from somewhere near the top, looking down on our suburb. We live down there somewhere. Yes, it is raining off to the right ... it was also raining on me just then too.

In our front yard ...
18,642 photos on flickr ! Whew !
Old 05-10-15, 06:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by kc9eog
I rode to the new grocery store 2.5 miles away, when I got home I had two broken eggs need to figure out how to carry eggs on a bike.
Handlebar bag.
Old 05-10-15, 09:23 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
So you flipped out on them when they thought they were helping a poor person? I bet you were totally embarrassed! What did you do to apologize?
What did I have to apologize for? I didn't appreciate being berated in front of my kid, as I'm sure you wouldn't either.
Old 05-10-15, 09:44 PM
MikeRides

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Out of curiosity, how did you carry them? I never had a problem carrying them in my backpack with and without other groceries. In a milk crate tied to a rear rack would be more ideal.

I always had a problem getting bread home in one piece myself, before I decided to put a milk crate on my rack.
Old 05-10-15, 11:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
18,642 photos on flickr ! Whew !
And that's only a small fraction of the photos I've actually taken ... probably approx. 10%.
Old 05-11-15, 05:34 AM
kc9eog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They were in that Styrofoam box they come in, wrapped in the plastic grocery bag and I put them in my pannier attached to the rack. It wasn't a bumpy ride coming back but I guess I need to do more.
Old 05-11-15, 05:48 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

They were in that Styrofoam box they come in, wrapped in the plastic grocery bag and I put them in my pannier attached to the rack. It wasn't a bumpy ride coming back but I guess I need to do more.
Styrofoam box?
Old 05-11-15, 06:07 AM
kc9eog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like this.
Styrofoam Egg Cartons - 12 Egg
Old 05-11-15, 06:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

I haven't seen those in a long time. Eggs come in cardboard here.

Yeah, put them in your handlebar bag and watch the potholes. On tours, I've carried a half dozen eggs in my handlebar bag over some distance.
Old 05-11-15, 06:42 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRides
35 mile rail trail ride with my kid today. Stopped for a burger and a sundae at a quaint village diner. I paid the bill, and proceeded to walk out when an older couple approached us - the gentleman put his hand on my shoulder, slipped me a $20 bill and said "God bless you, my son." I flipped out on him, and said "First, I'm not your son, and second I don't need your charity!" Then his wife looked at my kid and back at me and said "You two are homeless, right?" Un-freaking-believable, I said in a stern voice, "Look at us lady, how many hobos have you seen wearing cycling jerseys and shorts?" No response as they moved quickly into the diner. Apparently even with the rail trail being less than 500ft away, these locals had never seen a bicyclist before. I wonder what they think of touring cyclists or backpackers. .

But hey, the ride was nice and the burger/ice cream combo was perfect on this warm May day. Guess that's all that counts in the long run.
Originally Posted by MikeRides
What did I have to apologize for? I didn't appreciate being berated in front of my kid, as I'm sure you wouldn't either.
Somebody gave you $20 and said "God Bless You." You took that as a severe criticism. Apparently the fact that this happened in front of your son made the experience even more distressful. You sternly explained the intricacies of cycling wardrobe to him. He and his wife moved quickly to get away from you.

Is that basically what happened? Can you not see that there could be two sides to this story?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-11-15, 06:59 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Roody
Somebody gave you $20 and said "God Bless You." You took that as a severe criticism. Apparently the fact that this happened in front of your son made the experience even more distressful. You sternly explained the intricacies of cycling wardrobe to him. He and his wife moved quickly to get away from you.

Is that basically what happened? Can you not see that there could be two sides to this story?
Let it go. Or take it to PM. This is not what this thread is for.
Old 05-11-15, 07:01 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

To ... anyone here ... tell us about your rides or walks today.

Or any sort of human powered transportation.
Old 05-11-15, 07:11 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
My guess is that you packed them too tightly. I have had 100% success when I pack the egg container in a backpack or other bag where they won't move around too much, yet aren't wedged in too tightly.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 05-11-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 09:55 AM
MikeRides

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Try wrapping something soft around the container to act as a buffer against road vibrations and other groceries you may be carrying. Every store but one locally, sells eggs in recyclable cardboard cartons, and I carry them in a backpack with my other groceries w/o issues thus far. Good luck.
Old 05-11-15, 11:07 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
And that's only a small fraction of the photos I've actually taken ... probably approx. 10%.
Thank Goodness electrons are cheaper to develop and print/display than silver based media, eh?
Old 05-11-15, 06:55 PM
2manybikes

18,642 X 10 = 186,420 photos. That must mean lot more miles than that? I only take a few photos on a 100 mile ride. a million miles?

edit: bike related:~ I rode my bike today. One of my steel single speeds. 21 lbs. It rides sooooo nice!! about 25 miles

Last edited by 2manybikes; 05-11-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-11-15, 09:17 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I've been experimenting with my commute by biking to the train instead of using the commuter bus or bus to train. The commuter bus is the fastest option door, but it is infrequent. If i come home later and miss the commter bus, the bus home from the train is poory timed but the ride is short.

Today I went to happy after work (near a differnt train station). Afterwards I walked up tho the train stationto grab my bike and headed home. Along the way I decided to make a quick stop at the grocery store. I wouldn't have done this if i used the bus instead (no free transfers!). And then finished the ride home.
Old 05-11-15, 10:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Thank Goodness electrons are cheaper to develop and print/display than silver based media, eh?
Yeah Thank Goodness!

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
18,642 X 10 = 186,420 photos. That must mean lot more miles than that? I only take a few photos on a 100 mile ride. a million miles?

edit: bike related:~ I rode my bike today. One of my steel single speeds. 21 lbs. It rides sooooo nice!! about 25 miles
Um ... sure.

Of course many of those photos were taken on our various travels. I get clicking, and next thing I know, I've taken 400 photos.
Old 05-11-15, 11:03 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Last week (week of Apr 20) ... lots more walking with cycling on the weekend, as usual.

-- part of my commute to and from work
-- between the uni and work
-- from the allergist to work
-- doing a little shopping
-- and a walk down to our beach.

Total (Monday - Friday) ... 19.55 km. This brings me to 308 km of walking for the year so far.

And some of that shopping was me on the hunt for low calorie items to make low calorie French Toast. And I was successful! I don't think I've ever made French Toast before, and wasn't sure I could pull off a low-cal version, but I did ... and it was yummy!! We had it for breakfast/brunch both Saturday and Sunday.

All this exercise + my focus on eating low-cal for the past couple months = 10 kg lost.

Week of April 27 - 21.6 km walking
Week of May 4 - 20.7 km walking

I've eased back on the walking just a little bit because the combination of work and uni has left me feeling quite exhausted a couple days a week. Easing back has also given my arthritis a break.

As of Sunday 10 May, I have walked 350 km this year.

As for cycling, we were ramping up and did a 92 km ride on April 18, but then we decided to scale it back for the next few weeks after that. I'm almost at the end of the term with uni and things have been busy + Rowan has been really busy building a storage/workshop/home gym in our garage/basement ... trying to get it ready before we get too far into winter. And that's another thing ... winter came early! The weather has not been particularly nice the last few weekends.

So instead of increasing distance, we're working on shorter rides (40-50 km) that include lots of hills. Going for intensity rather than distance.
Old 05-13-15, 01:09 PM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I live and work in Doha, Qatar atm. It is basically too hot to ride a bicycle or even walk outside as today it was 42 C in the shade. and

That said, I am walking at least 21K steps daily during the work week (Sunday - Thursday) indoors. Last week I found the Engineering Bldg with enough hallways to give me 500 to 550 steps per circuit. The number of steps is determined by my energy levels and cadence. + and - 10% is of absolutely no consequence to me as long as I do at least 21K steps. Common recommendations are to do 10K steps daily for a healthy lifestyle. Does this mean that I should be healthy?

Aerobic steps does lead to some weight loss and my legs NO LONGER complain... so some training effect is happening (by walking) for my 2700 km bicycle tour in Australia this July - August. This will be helpful. Yes, it would be better to bicycle train with loaded panniers, BUT...

You understand, I think
Old 05-13-15, 04:54 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
Buy free range eggs with thicker shells. Keep bubble wrap on the bike for fragile cargo.
Old 05-13-15, 04:58 PM
Zedoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 88 Posts
26 miles on the I-275 Metro Trail and other paved surfaces. I saw it a few times and finally made the trip with a bike.
Old 05-16-15, 06:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Saturday -- We had sunshine!! It wasn't particularly warm, with a high of 13C when we started riding and dropping to 11C by the time we finished riding. But we had sunshine! That was a nice change.

Rowan and I rode from home today on a relatively short 22.3 km ride with 557 metres of climbing (that's a 2.5 climb ... hilly route).

The steepest climb reached 25% near the top of a long-ish nasty climb. Amazingly, astoundingly ... I cycled up!! But I was in the granniest of my granny gears while riding at a whopping 4 km/h and very seriously thinking about walking. That was a tough, tough climb. (Somehow, Rowan stayed in his middle chainring)

But gorgeous views all along the way. The route follows the coast of a peninsula just south of where we live, so lots of cliffs, and islands, and water views.

(click photos for more)
Old 05-16-15, 08:25 AM
2manybikes

70 miles Wednesday. Group ride starting at 50 miles. Dinner at 60 miles home at 70 miles. Slow easy riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.