Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Which trainer to get? Rollers, basic, or smart?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Which trainer to get? Rollers, basic, or smart?

Old 11-04-16, 07:23 AM
denvertrout

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I spent $20 on a used trainer after mine broke. Power meter on the bike and I am set for year round power analysis.
Old 11-07-16, 07:36 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Rollers with resistance, like SportsCrafters.
To your point. When I started cycling I was 34 yrs. old. I knew nothing about cycling and had no one to ride with who knew anything about cycling. But, I bought a book and in it was this advice: If you can't afford a coach, buy rollers. I had no idea what they were but I bought rollers and learned to ride them. That was 36 yrs. ago. Last year I had a fitting that measured (among other things) pedaling efficiency. The fitter said, "If a recreational rider can hit 70% efficiency (basically pedaling perfect circles) that's pretty good. You are doing 85% with no imbalance in your legs. How's that possible?" I thought about it and said, "Well, I've never had a trainer, just always trained on rollers." His response was, "Of course!"
Old 11-07-16, 11:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
To your point. When I started cycling I was 34 yrs. old. I knew nothing about cycling and had no one to ride with who knew anything about cycling. But, I bought a book and in it was this advice: If you can't afford a coach, buy rollers. I had no idea what they were but I bought rollers and learned to ride them. That was 36 yrs. ago. Last year I had a fitting that measured (among other things) pedaling efficiency. The fitter said, "If a recreational rider can hit 70% efficiency (basically pedaling perfect circles) that's pretty good. You are doing 85% with no imbalance in your legs. How's that possible?" I thought about it and said, "Well, I've never had a trainer, just always trained on rollers." His response was, "Of course!"
Biofeedback is a real thing.
Old 11-29-16, 02:34 PM
GambadiLegno

Bikes: BH G6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rollers, rollers and rollers...

I used to have a trainer and now I train when raining in an Elite Arion Mag. Yo can improve a lot your skills, as pedal efficiency, sprinting, etc.

And for me, and that's the most important point, they're more enjoyable than any trainer.
Old 12-13-16, 11:52 PM
karlkras
CycleManiaque

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Diamondback Podium 7, Focus Izalco Tria 1.0, Surly LHT, Raleigh Technium, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't purchased one yet, I have a direct drive Lemond Revolution I can give up for a very fair price.
Old 12-15-16, 09:09 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If this is going to be your only trainer, you should pick something that will also work for warmup before your races, so something light enough that you can move it around and not requiring being plugged in.

Since you already have a power meter coming, if you really want to save $, i think the best bang for buck is a good quality non-smart trainer like the Kurt Kinetic Kinetic Road Machine T-2200 - Trainers - Excel Sports

The smart Kinetic is on sale at Excelsports too... full disclosure, that is my team's shop and i love them and am proud to shill for them.

The Zwift experience is better with smart trainer (I bought a Kickr Snap) but it's still pretty good with a regular trainer and a power meter.
Old 12-27-16, 12:59 PM
absoludicrous

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just tested out a pal's Wahoo Kickr Snap for a month coupled with FulGaz. I thought it was a lot of fun—I rode a bunch of exclusive climbs that I would never have the means to actually ride. I thought the smart-resistance offered great workouts/rides.

I want a smart trainer of my own.
Old 12-29-16, 09:10 PM
howellhandmade

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPoser
I'm completely on the fence about this. I've used a trainer in the past and it was dreadfully boring. It was before Zwift. I'm getting serious about my riding and want to start training for the upcoming race season and need to be able to ride at home. Trying not to spend a ton either. I will be using Zwift this go-round. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks in advance.

Here are some that I'm looking at:
*snip*
A bit more than I want to spend:
Kinetic Road Machine Smart Fluid Trainer
For the past couple of winters I've gotten by with a dumb KK road machine and TrainerRoad. I recently tried Zwift, and find it intriguing. To use it I upgraded to a Road Machine Smart, which doesn't vary resistance, just reports power and cadence.

For training, I think TrainerRoad gives richer information and is better for structured training. Zwift has both the virtues and faults of a group ride, in that the temptation is always there to catch the rider in front, which might spur you to the harder ride with less boredom that you need, or might blow your planned recovery ride to bits.

This year I think I will use both. If the goal is to just hammer for an hour, Zwift is engrossing. Really fun. But at the end I don't have my 5 minute power, or 10 minute power, or a bunch of other metrics, or a graph with my heart rate, yada yada yada. I have time, av. speed, avg. power, and "pizza power." If the goal is to do specific intervals or 90 minutes of Z2, it's TrainerRoad and deal with the boredom.

For both, I think the Road Machine Smart is adequate, quiet, and, if the previous machine is any guide, bulletproof. I think list is $399; I got a modest good customer discount from my LBS which made it seem a pretty reasonable power meter. I considered one of the variable resistance trainers and decided to keep it simple.
Old 12-29-16, 10:05 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks everyone! I haven't checked this thread for a while and I did end up getting the Elite smart trainer. While it doesn't control the resistance, it gives a very good workout with a decent power meter. While it's not super accurate, it's pretty close I feel and it's getting the job done. I'm able to keep a dedicated bike for the trainer and my other bike that has the new power meter for the road. Works great so far. After a year or two I might go for a fully integrated trainer.
Old 12-30-16, 07:16 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Rollers with resistance. You won't believe how irritating it gets taking your bike on and off a trainer frequently (if that's going to be an issue). It's a two second thing to ride if I decide to ride outside versus on the rollers.
Old 12-30-16, 07:19 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by robabeatle
This would likely do:

https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Per...+magnet+2+inch

*edit* just be careful with magnets such as these, they are incredibly strong; you can break fingers.

Awesome!
Old 12-30-16, 09:33 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by howellhandmade
But at the end I don't have my 5 minute power, or 10 minute power, or a bunch of other metrics, or a graph with my heart rate, yada yada yada. I have time, av. speed, avg. power, and "pizza power." If the goal is to do specific intervals or 90 minutes of Z2, it's TrainerRoad and deal with the boredom.
Just about all the metrics you list (5min power, 10min power, graph with heart rate, graph with power, etc) are shown on Zwift immediately after you finish, before you save the ride.

Or just connect Strava to Zwift and you can review your metrics with a fine tooth comb using the Stravistix Chrome Plugin.
Enhance your Strava experience with the Stravistix Chrome extension - Cycling Weekly

Old 12-30-16, 10:28 AM
howellhandmade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Just about all the metrics you list (5min power, 10min power, graph with heart rate, graph with power, etc) are shown on Zwift immediately after you finish, before you save the ride.

Or just connect Strava to Zwift and you can review your metrics with a fine tooth comb using the Stravistix Chrome Plugin.
Enhance your Strava experience with the Stravistix Chrome extension - Cycling Weekly
My apologies and thanks for the correction. I'm obviously unfamiliar with Zwift yet and have never used Strava. I still don't think I'll be able to stop myself from chasing like a dog on Zwift.
Old 12-31-16, 11:45 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My apologies and thanks for the correction. I'm obviously unfamiliar with Zwift yet and have never used Strava. I still don't think I'll be able to stop myself from chasing like a dog on Zwift.
It's very strange that they don't show those stats after the fact on your dashboard, but if you like geeking out on numbers, I'd highly suggest strava and the stravistix plugin...VeloViewer will let you dig even farther into your riding stats as well.

Old 01-01-17, 05:18 PM
ajcjr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the past couple of winters I've gotten by with a dumb KK road machine and TrainerRoad. I recently tried Zwift, and find it intriguing. To use it I upgraded to a Road Machine Smart, which doesn't vary resistance, just reports power and cadence.

For training, I think TrainerRoad gives richer information and is better for structured training. Zwift has both the virtues and faults of a group ride, in that the temptation is always there to catch the rider in front, which might spur you to the harder ride with less boredom that you need, or might blow your planned recovery ride to bits.

This year I think I will use both. If the goal is to just hammer for an hour, Zwift is engrossing. Really fun. But at the end I don't have my 5 minute power, or 10 minute power, or a bunch of other metrics, or a graph with my heart rate, yada yada yada. I have time, av. speed, avg. power, and "pizza power." If the goal is to do specific intervals or 90 minutes of Z2, it's TrainerRoad and deal with the boredom.

For both, I think the Road Machine Smart is adequate, quiet, and, if the previous machine is any guide, bulletproof. I think list is $399; I got a modest good customer discount from my LBS which made it seem a pretty reasonable power meter. I considered one of the variable resistance trainers and decided to keep it simple.
Does the road machine smart work with Zwift?
Old 01-01-17, 06:07 PM
howellhandmade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ajcjr
Does the road machine smart work with Zwift?
Yes, it seems to work as well as any non-variable trainer could. Initially I thought I was getting a "Smart Control" trainer but I just wound up buying what my LBS had in stock since the price was right. If I were to do it over I think I might spend more for variable resistance, but as far as communicating with Zwift goes, the Road Machine Smart is fine.

As an aside, my unit wouldn't pair out of the box, but the problem was just a dead battery. Evidently a shipment had a rough sea voyage and the jostling turned the computers on and drained the batteries.
Old 01-02-17, 08:09 AM
rubiksoval

T\Last year I had a fitting that measured (among other things) pedaling efficiency. The fitter said, "If a recreational rider can hit 70% efficiency (basically pedaling perfect circles) that's pretty good. You are doing 85% with no imbalance in your legs. How's that possible?" \
Except pedaling circles isn't a very efficient means of pedaling. That's the old school way of thinking, but it's gone by the wayside at this point. You want to put the power down when you can put the power down (downstroke). The upstroke is a mere unweighting.
Old 01-02-17, 01:02 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Except pedaling circles isn't a very efficient means of pedaling. That's the old school way of thinking, but it's gone by the wayside at this point. You want to put the power down when you can put the power down (downstroke). The upstroke is a mere unweighting.
So, we're back to "pedaling squares?" FWIW, I don't think that pedaling circles and unweighting the upstroke are mutually exclusive.
Old 01-02-17, 01:03 PM
rubiksoval

So, we're back to "pedaling squares?" FWIW, I don't think that pedaling circles and unweighting the upstroke are mutually exclusive.
Never head of pedaling squares, but sure.

There's no need to focus on unweighting, though. The focus needs to be on the "stomp".
Old 01-02-17, 01:55 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pedaling squares is what the announcer yells at every mountaintop finish of every bike race ever.

"Their pedaling squares out there, just look at 'em, just literally turning themselves inside out!!!"

Old 01-02-17, 02:44 PM
bruce19

Never head of pedaling squares, but sure.

There's no need to focus on unweighting, though. The focus needs to be on the "stomp".
"Stomp?" No one I know, and this includes past and current racers, subscribes to "stomping" on pedals. For many years the mantra has been "spin to win." Most notable was Lance Armstrong in this regard. I'm willing to bet that one cannot stomp and get high rpm's. If you have some cites for the new way of thinking about pedaling I'd really like to see them. I'm open to possibilities but for now I have to say stomping doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-02-17, 03:06 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with rubiksoval that focusing on pedaling a perfectly smooth circle, or even worse trying to "pull up" on the pedals, doesn't really work from a power/efficiency standpoint. Studies have shown that power is most efficiently applied to the drivetrain during the downstroke. I'm not so sure I would go so far as to advocate stomping though, as that sort of implies a jerky motion which could lead to excess body movement; hips rocking, unstable core, rocking shoulders, etc.

One thing that I think does help is to think about getting your knees up and getting your foot over the deadspot as quickly as possible; the goal isn't to pull up on the pedal though; it's about generating foot speed and beginning the next downstroke more quickly. This works well for me at higher cadences.
Old 01-02-17, 03:14 PM
ajcjr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This trainer stuff is so confusing, thanks for the replies to my questions.
Old 01-02-17, 08:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Way too many people think that "pedaling circles" means putting a constant force on the pedal all the way around the circle. It does not. Pedaling circles actually means distributing a varying force on each pedal so that, added together, a constant torque on the BB is produced. On rollers, one strives to hear a constant whiirrr. Since there is so little mass to hold inertia, the constant sound means that one is at least coming very close to the ideal of that constant BB torque. Pedaling circles does not produce more power in a steady-state application. Rather it decreases muscular fatigue. There's a good study here:
https://www.radlabor.de/fileadmin/PDF...MSS_-_2011.pdf
An interesting thing to note in this study is that the subjects decreased fatigue with almost no training. That shows how effective smooth pedaling is.

For more discussion on how to achieve a circular pedal stroke, there was a good thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ing-about.html

The upstroke pedal is usually unweighted though not usually pulled up. The unweight decreases the downstroke force necessary. During hill sprints, I think every decent sprinter pulls up hard to produce maximum watts at cadences under ~90. At higher cadences, coordination seems to fail.

I might also mention the phenomenon of bouncing at high cadence. Bouncing happens when the downstroke force is continued for too long, thus lifting the rider off the saddle. The downstroke has to be eased off early and converted into a rearward stroke. This is part of pedaling circles. It's possible to pedal without bouncing at cadences above 200. Nowadays I can only manage 150 for a few moments though I can easily pedal at 120 or so, all without bouncing of course.
Old 01-03-17, 06:32 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Way too many people think that "pedaling circles" means putting a constant force on the pedal all the way around the circle. It does not. Pedaling circles actually means distributing a varying force on each pedal so that, added together, a constant torque on the BB is produced. On rollers, one strives to hear a constant whiirrr. Since there is so little mass to hold inertia, the constant sound means that one is at least coming very close to the ideal of that constant BB torque. Pedaling circles does not produce more power in a steady-state application. Rather it decreases muscular fatigue. There's a good study here:
https://www.radlabor.de/fileadmin/PDF...MSS_-_2011.pdf
An interesting thing to note in this study is that the subjects decreased fatigue with almost no training. That shows how effective smooth pedaling is.

For more discussion on how to achieve a circular pedal stroke, there was a good thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...ing-about.html

The upstroke pedal is usually unweighted though not usually pulled up. The unweight decreases the downstroke force necessary. During hill sprints, I think every decent sprinter pulls up hard to produce maximum watts at cadences under ~90. At higher cadences, coordination seems to fail.

I might also mention the phenomenon of bouncing at high cadence. Bouncing happens when the downstroke force is continued for too long, thus lifting the rider off the saddle. The downstroke has to be eased off early and converted into a rearward stroke. This is part of pedaling circles. It's possible to pedal without bouncing at cadences above 200. Nowadays I can only manage 150 for a few moments though I can easily pedal at 120 or so, all without bouncing of course.
Awesome! Very informative.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.