Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike and BB30

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike and BB30

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 08:53 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
New bike and BB30

Hey,

I was seriously considering a new Cannondale Slate Apex as a new bike, and then realized that it has a BB30 bottom bracket.

I have experience with PF41 on my MTB and am not a massive fan, though I swapped it for a Wheels MFG adapter pretty soon after getting the bike.

I've always been a fan of threaded BB's but I do like this bike. That said, I don't want to get a bike and be pulling the BB right away to put Loctite on the bearings or swap to a different BB system.

Is BB30 a reason to pass on this bike? Has anyone had a significant amount of creak free miles?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-17, 09:10 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I think most of the issues with BB30 are with Carbon frames. I haven't had any creaking in my alloy frame over several K miles.
Old 08-29-17, 05:21 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Creaking isn't due to carbon versus AL + BB30.

My view OP is don't let BB30 be a discriminator for a bike you really want. You can even convert BB30 to external bearings with a sleeve. But I am not afraid to dig into BB's and fix as needed...what I do.
The large majority of road bikes are press fit now of some ilk with a variety of bearing diameters...many with wider BB shells.
Old 08-29-17, 05:51 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
If you like the bike, get it. Especially the Slate, it's not like you have many similar options to choose from. Most people ride press-fit BBs, since that is the most common system. BF makes it seem like a way bigger issue than it is, as with most things.
Old 08-29-17, 06:27 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
I don't get it. No problem for me.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-29-17, 07:15 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Praxis Conversion and Enduro Torqtite do away with pressed bearings altogether. These are not adapters but full bottom brackets which negate the need to press bearings on frames with pressfit bottom bracket shells. They literally slip into the shell and screw together in five minutes. I have the Torqtite on my gravel bike. Assembly could not have been easier.

I would not hesitate to get any kind of press fit frame and when the time comes to replace the bottom bracket use the Praxis or Enduro.

-Tim-
Old 08-29-17, 07:55 AM
scplus5

Bikes: 2009 caad 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally have 8k miles between my caad9 and synapse. Both are 2009 bikes that I bought used. I replaced the bearings in the synapse 2500 miles ago and it's been silent. Replaced the ones on the caad a few thousand miles after I got it. Who knows how many miles the previous owners had on each bike...I wouldn't shy away from BB30.
Old 08-29-17, 08:00 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Praxis Conversion and Enduro Torqtite do away with pressed bearings altogether. These are not adapters but full bottom brackets which negate the need to press bearings on frames with pressfit bottom bracket shells. They literally slip into the shell and screw together in five minutes. I have the Torqtite on my gravel bike. Assembly could not have been easier.

I would not hesitate to get any kind of press fit frame and when the time comes to replace the bottom bracket use the Praxis or Enduro.

-Tim-
But the adapters are pressed in by the screwing together. There could still be creaking if not properly designed and executed. Fortunately the adapters you are referring to usually work very well. But then so do the simple pressed-in bearings.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 08-29-17, 08:08 AM
CoMotionRider

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have over 10000 miles on my Cannondale CAAD 9. It has the BB30. I have never had any issues.
Old 08-29-17, 09:08 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Green loctite 609/641 fixes the majority of creaks
Old 08-29-17, 09:22 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
But the adapters are pressed in by the screwing together. There could still be creaking if not properly designed and executed. Fortunately the adapters you are referring to usually work very well. But then so do the simple pressed-in bearings.
My point was that the Enduro or Praxis negate the need to press anything.

Nothing needs to be pressed, either with a bearing press or by screwing together.

They slide into the bottom bracket shell by hand.
Old 08-29-17, 09:41 AM
redlude97

My point was that the Enduro or Praxis negate the need to press anything.

Nothing needs to be pressed, either with a bearing press or by screwing together.

They slide into the bottom bracket shell by hand.
that is absolutely not true and if the cups slide in by hand without a press or tightening using the threading then the BB shell is out of spec. It should be a tight press fit fitting
Old 08-29-17, 10:41 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Shinkers
Is BB30 a reason to pass on this bike? Has anyone had a significant amount of creak free miles?
IMHO, yes it is a reason to pass on the bike.

BB30 gave me no end of problems, and I can count on one had (5) guys I ride with who have had issues too, usually within the first year or two of riding C'dales. Most recently my friend has a Synapse that's been back in the shop a few times, but he can't get rid of the creak. Same thing happened to his OSBB Roubaix.

That said, there's always going to be people that have no problem with it. Of course, BB30 doesn't have a 100% creak rate. However, the people who say "I never had any issue with my bike so therefore it's not an issue" are putting too much value into their single experience.

That said, the Slate is a pretty unique bike, so you have to weigh whether that's worth it over the risk of creaking.

I fixed the creaking in my BB30 with some care and attention (and Loctite), but the experience has been enough for me ot go back to buying bikes that have thread in BBs, which I rode for 35 years before my first BB30 bike without ever having to worry about the Bottom Bracket.
Old 08-29-17, 12:17 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Green loctite 609/641 fixes the majority of creaks
^^This^^ My Caad10 had a creak right after I bought it in 2014, had the BB30 bearing replaced and it was gone for a short while then returned. Searched the web for solutions and found the Green Loctite fix and never had an issue since.

On a side note, I just converted to an Ultegra Crank using the wheels mfg conversion kit (whole kit, not adapters) and I'm not too impressed. Everything appears to have been installed correctly but something just doesn't feel right, really rough while pedaling hard. Haven't put any time into figuring it out just yet but I'm leaning towards putting the BB30 bearings back in along with the FSA crank.
Old 08-29-17, 12:23 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
It should be a tight press fit fitting
Agreed. In fact, I have one of the Praxis conversions sitting here ready to press in for a pal who wants to use a Shimano crank on their BB30 Specialized Tarmac.
Old 08-29-17, 12:28 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by dr_lha
IMHO, yes it is a reason to pass on the bike.

BB30 gave me no end of problems, and I can count on one had (5) guys I ride with who have had issues too, usually within the first year or two of riding C'dales. Most recently my friend has a Synapse that's been back in the shop a few times, but he can't get rid of the creak. Same thing happened to his OSBB Roubaix.

That said, there's always going to be people that have no problem with it. Of course, BB30 doesn't have a 100% creak rate. However, the people who say "I never had any issue with my bike so therefore it's not an issue" are putting too much value into their single experience.

That said, the Slate is a pretty unique bike, so you have to weigh whether that's worth it over the risk of creaking.

I fixed the creaking in my BB30 with some care and attention (and Loctite), but the experience has been enough for me ot go back to buying bikes that have thread in BBs, which I rode for 35 years before my first BB30 bike without ever having to worry about the Bottom Bracket.
I'm like you that had creaks(multiple) that were swapped with grease that eventually came back until i started using the loctite. No problems since. I also get creaking on threaded bottom brackets though so its not unique to bb30. Where we differ is in terms of what we think of the amount of work that is required. Now it takes essentially the same amount of time, and BB30 bearings from an industrial supply company cost $5 each. Not an issue at all IMO anymore.
Old 08-29-17, 12:29 PM
loxx0050

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could get a press fit threaded sleeve installed too like the FSA one.

I'm considering this once it is time to replace my bottom bracket on my Cannondale EVO. Even though I run BB30 cranks so I can work on it myself (don't have press fit tools and hard to justify buying it currently for me). Ok with using threaded BB30 bottom brackets (have had good experiences with this on another bike I have that is a threaded BB).

There are a few on other forums that use this on their bikes with great success.
Old 08-29-17, 12:29 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

that is absolutely not true and if the cups slide in by hand without a press or tightening using the threading then the BB shell is out of spec. It should be a tight press fit fitting
https://youtu.be/Eory8iw2BqU?t=2m12s

I own and have installed an Enduro Torqtite bottom bracket for PF30 frame and Shimano 24 mm spindle cranks.

The bottom bracket slips into the bottom bracket shell exactly as shown in the video below. There is no pressing needed. At lease one BF user has the Praxis product and races gravel with it regularly. Installation is identical.

Only the first 30 seconds of the video need be watched.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 08-29-17 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-29-17, 12:53 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

I'm like you that had creaks(multiple) that were swapped with grease that eventually came back until i started using the loctite. No problems since. I also get creaking on threaded bottom brackets though so its not unique to bb30. Where we differ is in terms of what we think of the amount of work that is required. Now it takes essentially the same amount of time, and BB30 bearings from an industrial supply company cost $5 each. Not an issue at all IMO anymore.
I've never had a creaking bottom bracket that screwed in, square taper or "Hollowtech" type.

I fixed my BB30 on the third replacement. The factory install failed, the LBS install failed, my install with Loctite and a lot of TLC and it worked (for about 3000 before I sold the bike at least).

Regardless of what you say, I would argue that a threaded bottom bracket is considerably easier to install than a pressfit, and certainly it's a lot less likely to cause issues. That's not really an opinion, that's a simple fact of how the installation works. It's easy to install a pressfit bearing slightly out of tolerance.

Cost isn't really the issue here either. BB30 bearings are cheap, Shimano Hollowtech BSA BBs are cheap ($16 on Jenson USA for the Ultegra level one).

Last edited by dr_lha; 08-29-17 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-29-17, 12:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
I don't know anything about my BB other than that it is black and reads "Parlee" on the little cups on the outside. What type might it be?
Old 08-29-17, 01:08 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Probably a Parlee.
Old 08-29-17, 01:13 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I own and have installed an Enduro Torqtite bottom bracket for PF30 frame and Shimano 24 mm spindle cranks.

The bottom bracket slips into the bottom bracket shell exactly as shown in the video below. There is no pressing needed. At lease one BF user has the Praxis product and races gravel with it regularly. Installation is identical.

https://youtu.be/0yun921uuDY?t=16

-Tim-
Sorry but you are wrong. Enduro is slip fit and Praxis is press fit on one side. Installation is not identical for that reason.
Old 08-29-17, 01:16 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
I've never had a creaking bottom bracket that screwed in, square taper or "Hollowtech" type.

I fixed my BB30 on the third replacement. The factory install failed, the LBS install failed, my install with Loctite and a lot of TLC and it worked (for about 3000 before I sold the bike at least).

Regardless of what you say, I would argue that a threaded bottom bracket is considerably easier to install than a pressfit, and certainly it's a lot less likely to cause issues. That's not really an opinion, that's a simple fact of how the installation works. It's easy to install a pressfit bearing slightly out of tolerance.

Cost isn't really the issue here either. BB30 bearings are cheap, Shimano Hollowtech BSA BBs are cheap ($16 on Jenson USA for the Ultegra level one).
Actually a thread BB is not that much easier to install than loctited BB30 bearings. BB30 is only voodoo for those that don't know how to work on them and honestly if somebody doesn't have the mechanical aptitude to install BB30 they are declared mechanically inept which comprises the majority of the world FWIW. Never try to set up the cams on a 4V Ducati. I know, what's a Ducati? BB30 threads always make me laugh.
Old 08-29-17, 01:18 PM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by Campag4life
Actually a thread BB is not that much easier to install than loctited BB30 bearings.
It really is easier though. I've done both. Disagreeing with this simply makes you disagreeable.

BB30 threads always make me laugh.
Agreed.
Old 08-29-17, 01:20 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://youtu.be/0yun921uuDY?t=16

-Tim-

I'd say 45 seconds just to really drive the point home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.