Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2004 GT Zaskar Expert Vs new cheap bike. Help please!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 05:39 PM
TwistedHalo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, beyond riding trick bikes as a kid, I am completely new to riding. I want to pick up a new mountain bike. But, as my budget is extremely limited, and I want to make sure I like it before I shell out big bucks, I don't have much money to spend. I was originally looking to spend about $250 on a new low end mountain bike. But, I decided to check out craigslist to see what I could find. I came across this (supposedly) lightly used 2004 GT Zaskar Expert that the internet tells me retailed for $1000 when it came out, for $200. Being that I really don't know anything about the subject I figured I would post this question to the fine ladies and gentlemen of this forum. If the GT is actually in really good shape, am I getting more bang for my buck paying $200 for it than I am if I pay $200-300 for a new bike? Or has technology caught up enough that the new cheapo will be just as good? Thanks for any responses in advance!
Old 09-27-17, 05:41 PM
TwistedHalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to post links to the bike on craislist but I evidently don't have enough posts to do so yet.
Old 09-28-17, 03:46 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TwistedHalo
I'm trying to post links to the bike on craislist but I evidently don't have enough posts to do so yet.
Assuming it's in good condition that Zaskar is going to be much better than any bike you would buy new at the same price even thought its pretty outdated (v-brakes, 26in wheels, etc)
Old 09-28-17, 05:52 PM
TwistedHalo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rfmarotti
Assuming it's in good condition that Zaskar is going to be much better than any bike you would buy new at the same price even thought its pretty outdated (v-brakes, 26in wheels, etc)
Thanks. I bought it today and got the guy down to $170. It was a perfect fit for my size. The frame and parts seem to be in great shape, no rust, only a couple of minor scratches. The shifting seems to be a little off, but I don't think its anything that a bike shop tune up can't take care of. I feel like I made a pretty good purchase.