Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Panaracer Ribmo review

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Panaracer Ribmo review

Old 10-26-09, 07:26 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yes, the profile of the tire is interesting and it does seem to work.
I have my Ribmo on the rear so I haven't had any issues with the tire squealing or sliding out, but I ride fixed so the steepness of my turns is limited.

Old 10-26-09, 07:37 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Road feel is important, even if it is subjective. I tried some Panaracer Paselas for a while and took them off even though they wore well and were flat resistant. They also felt very slow to me, almost gluey. My average speed dropped about 1-1.5 mph as soon as I installed the Paselas. Although my commute isn't a race, there are plenty of other nice tires that don't feel like they are slowing me down. Of course, I was used to running Michelin Pro Races and Conti GP 4000s. The roads on my route are good and I seldom get flats, so I'm back to running GP 4000s in 700x25. I would like to run 28s or 30s, but will keep with the 25s unless I can find a larger tire that rolls nice and is reasonably light because my route is very hilly.
Old 10-26-09, 07:39 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Michelin Krylion Carbon for the road is fast and tough. I'm looking at the Michelin City Pilot for my commuter bike.
Old 08-19-17, 06:33 PM
OmuGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear Ribmo 28 wear at 5000 km

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've got just under 1500 miles on these tires with no flats since the staple. I wouldn't be surprised if they last another 2000 miles ....
On my 2010 Kona Jake (Tiagra STI shifters with XT triple and shadow RD), which takes me shopping (e.g., CostCo is 11 km away) and to stays at the in-laws' (50 km away), the Ribmo 28 PTs have clocked more than 5,000 km on Japanese roads. Many stretches I travel have been eroded by overladen dumptrucks, some are unpaved and "cobbly" roads. While I can go mostly along rivers to the in-laws, sometimes it more interesting to climb more than 300 m over watersheds and brake through the hairy descents on the other side. Without luggage, the bike with its fenders, stand, and rack weighs 13.5 kg. I often come back uphill with another 8 kg and, often enough, double that. Usually my body weighs about 75 kg unclothed.

When I changed from Schwable Marathon Green Guard 32 (cracking sidewalls) to Ribmo 28, my av. speed soon increased by about 10%. The bike certainly felt more responsive, like it didn't need so much winding up when getting up to speed.

The other day, I noticed that the peaked profile on the rear Ribmo has completely worn away, along with the tread. Even so, the tyre still doesn't look vulnerable. The front tyre still has plenty of tread. Never had a puncture (touch wood) with the Ribmos. I expect I'll be changing the rear tyre as soon as the weather cools a bit.

The Schwalbe One V Guard on the back of my 8 kg Synapse only scraped 1600 km before threads were visible through cracks on the contact surface of the tyre. The front tyre isn't as bad... lots of cracks but no thread visible. No flats with the Ones either, so far. To keep it that way, I changed the rear tyre to a Conti 4 Season I had in store. Haven't ridden it, yet.
Old 08-19-17, 07:20 PM
Staypuft1652

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgive me if this is a stupid question/comment. But if you have rim brakes ( couldnt tell from pics) and put the front on backwards, couldnt you just switch the skewer? Or does that mess up the brake pads.
Old 08-04-18, 06:37 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by OmuGuy
On my 2010 Kona Jake (Tiagra STI shifters with XT triple and shadow RD), which takes me shopping (e.g., CostCo is 11 km away) and to stays at the in-laws' (50 km away), the Ribmo 28 PTs have clocked more than 5,000 km on Japanese roads. Many stretches I travel have been eroded by overladen dumptrucks, some are unpaved and "cobbly" roads. While I can go mostly along rivers to the in-laws, sometimes it more interesting to climb more than 300 m over watersheds and brake through the hairy descents on the other side. Without luggage, the bike with its fenders, stand, and rack weighs 13.5 kg. I often come back uphill with another 8 kg and, often enough, double that. Usually my body weighs about 75 kg unclothed.

When I changed from Schwable Marathon Green Guard 32 (cracking sidewalls) to Ribmo 28, my av. speed soon increased by about 10%. The bike certainly felt more responsive, like it didn't need so much winding up when getting up to speed.

The other day, I noticed that the peaked profile on the rear Ribmo has completely worn away, along with the tread. Even so, the tyre still doesn't look vulnerable. The front tyre still has plenty of tread. Never had a puncture (touch wood) with the Ribmos. I expect I'll be changing the rear tyre as soon as the weather cools a bit.

The Schwalbe One V Guard on the back of my 8 kg Synapse only scraped 1600 km before threads were visible through cracks on the contact surface of the tyre. The front tyre isn't as bad... lots of cracks but no thread visible. No flats with the Ones either, so far. To keep it that way, I changed the rear tyre to a Conti 4 Season I had in store. Haven't ridden it, yet.

Congrats on finding a tire that works so well for you!

Is the width true to spec? What is your rim, and what's the outer (or inner, if possible) width?