Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Back to Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-18, 02:49 PM
CragRat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back to Bikes

Hello! For the past ten months I've had a job that keeps me sitting at a desk for a long time. Recognizing that I'm not getting as much exercise as I used to (and I'm not a fan of stationary exercise or participating in athletics), I decided to get back into bicycling, especially to and from work. I live in a bike-friendly area, and a daily roundtrip route of 18-miles would offer lovely scenery, is safe, should keep my arteries clean, and help me shed a few pesky pounds of fat that have bugged me for years.

Many things have changed since I last bought a bicycle twenty years ago (Schwinn Sierra), but I knew I didn't want to be wedded to the same thing (I used to have Raleighs...real Raleighs...in my younger days) and have kept an open mind, spending the past month doing heavy-duty research both online and at shops regarding styles, materials, construction, equipment, feel, and (of course) price. When I say I've done my research, you can count on it!

Not knowing exactly how this is all going to turn out, I ultimately decided to begin simply inexpensively, focusing on a basic, well-built platform that would be worthy of mechanical upgrades as they wear out. Or if in a few months time I have a better idea as to what more I want to do with a bike and decide to go with something different, I haven't laid out a lot of money unnecessarily. It's important to me to simply begin riding, and I wanted something new so I didn't have to spend time (and money) making repairs to get a used bike into shape. So, today I've placed an order on a brand-new Jamis Coda Sport in Black Ice (although I really wish they hadn't given a two-wheeled vehicle that particular color description!)...hopefully will have it by the end of next week, then I'll post pictures.

Bike Forums has been really helpful in my making a decision. I've been lurking for the past month, reading many threads and gaining lots of insight which helped me weigh a lot of information. I had whittled down my bike wishlist, and the various threads helped me pair it down some more. No bike is 100% what you might want as it's assembled by a manufacturer if you're picky about the components. On the Coda, I know the wheels aren't particularly well-loved, and the tires not those with the least rolling resistance. The front derailleur is Tourney, but that doesn't get used as much as the rear and should last awhile, and I can always upgrade. And upgrading the brake pads should be easy and inexpensive, too. But the frame is steel, the welds look great, and it has an appealing shape that should feel good going down the road...that's what I really liked. So if I ultimately have to replace wheels and tires, the bike can only improve.

Thanks, everyone, for all your help. Pictures coming soon so you know this really did happen!
Old 07-05-18, 07:30 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Welcome! Glad we helped you out a bit with our forums.

Old 07-06-18, 04:17 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
Welcome!
Old 07-07-18, 01:09 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome. I too have enjoyed the knowledgeable folks in this forum. Most have probably forgotten more than I know, so I’ve learned a bunch.
Old 07-07-18, 05:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2638 Post(s)
Liked 3,151 Times in 1,658 Posts
Welcome, I'm glad to hear that the forums were helpful!
Old 07-07-18, 09:43 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome. Upgrades are part of the fun too. We all learn and decide more about what we want with time and miles.
Old 08-02-18, 03:12 PM
CragRat

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As promised...here's the new bike: Jamis Coda Sport.
Old 08-04-18, 01:16 AM
SimonRider

Bikes: Azimut

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happy

Hi, I think this is very interesting and useful information, with time bicycles will not be lost anywhere, this is an integral part of the person, I am glad that until now I have improved technologies for the development of cycling.
Old 08-07-18, 02:59 AM
darcybuck

Bikes: Miyata 710, Fuji Gran Fondo, Cannondale Prophet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike. Welcome
Old 08-07-18, 07:50 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Woooo congrats on your new bike! Love that smile hahaha! Glad we could help you with your search. And thank you for joining!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.