Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Lung issues

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Lung issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 12:19 AM
leftover

Bikes: '77 Raleigh Record Ace, '03 Trek 4300 drop convert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lung issues

About 4 years ago I had got back to commuting by bike. My trip was 8 miles one way, to work was uphill, home from work downhill. FUN!!! I would ride about 5 miles during my lunch, up the canyon, etc. I got a concussion and wasn't able to ride until last June(2017). Balance and vision issues.
Anyway, last August I injured my knee and was give a pain pill that gave me an adverse reaction, and now I have respiratory troubles. I have set up my bike on an indoor trainer, but can only ride about 10 minutes before my lungs can't handle it.
Anyone have any ideas to reduce my frustration level. It has been almost a year without being able to ride. I finally get to see a pulmonologist next month, the long wait is due to Workmens Comp dragging their feet.
All I have been able to do is look, and wishful think, without the money to do diddly.
I know in the end it will be O.K.(at least I think so), but man has it been a long year.

Clifford brought up a good point. I have tried since last October to ride on the trainer. The lung trouble is unknown because I have had to wait for Dr's and a resolution from Worker's comp. Until the pulmonologist sees me they have no idea what is wrong other than I can't breathe well. 2.5 litres of oxyhen at night with a bipap, breathing treatments 2-4 times daily, steroid inhaler. That is just to keep me breathing daily. No I didn't need a "sleep aid" before the incident. One doc figures it was aspiration pneumonia.

As far as ideas, just looking for ways not to feel so frustrated and things that can maybe help me not feel so frustrated, since nothing will really change until I can breathe right again. That being the reason to see the pulmonologist.

Last edited by leftover; 06-20-18 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Forgot one or two things.
Old 06-20-18, 12:31 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
You haven't really given us much to go on. Hopefully your doctor will have some ideas.

It could simply be a training issue, after quite some time off the bike. Or, you could have asthma, or a number of other issues. Hang in there.

And, keep up with at least moderate exercise, unless instructed otherwise.
Old 06-20-18, 03:38 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Get a proper diagnosis. Get a second opinion if it's a tricky case.

My exertion asthma turned out to be exacerbated by a more serious thyroid problem. The thyroid is so swollen it's constricting and distorting my trachea. I wouldn't have known that without X-Rays, CT-scan, etc.

Treating it symptomatically was missing the underlying cause. Of all people, an anesthesiologist was the one who spotted the problem.

So in my case it's possible that treating the thyroid might open the airway enough to eliminate the need for asthma meds and inhalers.
Old 06-20-18, 07:49 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I don’t have any specific advice but I’ve got a hereditary heart problem and I understand the frustration all too well. I really hope you can find a cure
Old 06-20-18, 04:40 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Sorry to hear, that can be very frustrating. I used to bike 35-40 miles, then run 10 miles, easily, multiple times a week, in addition to lifting weights, then I got a virus from a mosquito that gave me severe joint pain for three months. I could do nothing and came out of it in bad condition. I went from bench pressing 275 pounds to struggling to do 145 pounds. I could not run far since I didn't have the conditioning. A little over three years later and I can bike, but my strength is not the same. I had taken years to get to the point I was and I have not had the time to devote to getting it back. The biking came back, but it took time, and effort.

You may simply be feeling the effects of not training for a while. It will take time, and you will be frustrated, but first, get your doctors to see what is going on. A bike forum is a great place to discuss your frustrations, but we are not doctors, okay, some of us may be, but they cannot diagnose you. Some of us have gone through similar things though, and understand your frustration. Good luck an I wish you well.
Old 06-21-18, 03:08 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
rule out pulmonary fibrosis.
Old 06-27-18, 11:56 AM
WilliamT

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Getting an cadence based electric bike would put a lot less impact on your knee. Also, you'll feel like your on an indoor trainer but instead doing it outdoors. If your lungs tire, you can increase the assist. Worst case, use the throttle (assuming it comes with one; i.e. class 2). Just avoid the torque sensor versions (Bosch, Yamaha, etc.) which is what most of the big 3 are selling these days. Most of the models under $2k are cadence based.

Last edited by WilliamT; 06-27-18 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 12:18 AM
leftover

Bikes: '77 Raleigh Record Ace, '03 Trek 4300 drop convert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw the pulmonologist and she told me that I evidently have asthma. She is recommending a new inhaler that should work better until then she gave me a new tool for the steroid inhaler that seems to be helping. It looks like the "trauma" to my lungs is just taking a long time due to it aggravating the asthma I didn't know I had. She also has me not around chemicals which I don't know how that will affect my job, suppose that bridge will burn or cross when we get there. She did give me hope on the riding, said to continue increasing my time as tolerated. I am now up to about 45 minutes a day in 10-20 minute segments.
Old 08-05-18, 02:48 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Leftover, I am glad you saw the doc and got a diagnosis for the issue.
Old 08-05-18, 08:05 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by leftover
I saw the pulmonologist and she told me that I evidently have asthma. She is recommending a new inhaler that should work better until then she gave me a new tool for the steroid inhaler that seems to be helping. It looks like the "trauma" to my lungs is just taking a long time due to it aggravating the asthma I didn't know I had. She also has me not around chemicals which I don't know how that will affect my job, suppose that bridge will burn or cross when we get there. She did give me hope on the riding, said to continue increasing my time as tolerated. I am now up to about 45 minutes a day in 10-20 minute segments.
When a bulging disc in my neck kept me off the bike for a year, all I could think about was getting back to riding. And when I finally started riding again, I fought through the pain and "out-of-shapedness" with a determination that surprised me.

You sound like you will get back to where you want to be bike-wise...or close to it. go, Go, GO!
Old 08-10-18, 01:16 AM
alextide

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad you got some clarity on what's wrong. Asthma didn't stop Chris Froome from winning the Tour de France......