Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I am thinking of adding a second bike.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 09:27 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts

I am looking at the possibility of adding a second bike, it is a better version/model than the one I currently ride. I have a Quick 7 and am looking to add a Quick 3 disc, but why? I have looked at other brands and I do not see a reason to change that as the quality and fit of the Cannondale bike is very good for me, that said the lure of better components is very tempting. To answer the obvious question, I can not ride a road bike and have no intention to ride trails so a MTB is not on the table either. I like the quasi road bike set up of the Quick line but have my doubts that I would ever go back to riding the 7 if I owned the 3. Trying to talk myself out of spending money on something I do not need so I guess I am looking for a reason to have both. I also have the option of just upgrading all the components on the 7 and, except for the brakes, make my own 3. Truth be told I ride about 15 miles a ride, one or two times a week with 10 mile rides in between. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Frank.
Old 09-02-18, 09:31 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
And, so it begins.
Old 09-02-18, 10:00 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What do you expect a bicycle to do for you?

It's hard to quantify the value of "fun". If you think that a new bike will be more fun, and you can afford to buy it without affecting your lifestyle, why not?

Check out my signature line.
Old 09-02-18, 11:48 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I am looking at the possibility of adding a second bike, it is a better version/model than the one I currently ride. I have a Quick 7 and am looking to add a Quick 3 disc, but why? I have looked at other brands and I do not see a reason to change that as the quality and fit of the Cannondale bike is very good for me, that said the lure of better components is very tempting. To answer the obvious question, I can not ride a road bike and have no intention to ride trails so a MTB is not on the table either. I like the quasi road bike set up of the Quick line but have my doubts that I would ever go back to riding the 7 if I owned the 3. Trying to talk myself out of spending money on something I do not need so I guess I am looking for a reason to have both. I also have the option of just upgrading all the components on the 7 and, except for the brakes, make my own 3. Truth be told I ride about 15 miles a ride, one or two times a week with 10 mile rides in between. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Frank.
The truth is, for the riding you do, your current bike is more than adequate. On the other hand, if money is burning a hole in your pocket, then who am I to tell you no. My only concern would be, the Quick 3 isn't enough of an upgrade to justify the expense. Maybe get a few years of riding under your belt and revisit the issue.
Old 09-02-18, 12:14 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
It's hard to quantify the value of "fun". If you think that a new bike will be more fun, and you can afford to buy it without affecting your lifestyle, why not? .
To me the only sensible course of action would be to buy the Quick 3 and sell the Quick 7. As you say, it would be unlikely that you would ever ride the 7 once you had the 3.

The main reasons for having two bikes (besides having two bikes) is so that if one is down, the other is up, and to do different things. it doesn't seem like you ride hard enough to frequently break your bike, so the first reason doesn't really apply, and you like one type of riding, so the second reason doesn't apply.

Getting a better bike is a great idea ... it will do everything just a tiny bit better, and it will be new, so whatever might be worn on the old bike, won't be.

So get the 3 ... but sell the 7, or donate it to a good cause.

​​​​​​​If you think you are worth a better bike, you are. And someone else could benefit from the good bike you would be setting free. Win/win.
Old 09-02-18, 12:17 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I would sell the 7 and buy the 3 if you really wanted upgraded components, and if the rest of the bike were meeting your needs. I don't think you'll ever use the 7 again.

If there's some other aspect of cycling you're not venturing into because your Quick-series bike doesn't fit that use-case well, then it's time to get a second bike. But two of virtually the same bike, targeting the same use cases... that's not necessary unless you've already filled the other niches and are just looking for a back up bike if the primary is in the shop.
Old 09-02-18, 01:56 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Thank you all for your honest and thoughtful answers. My 7 is only about three months old so the parts are hardly worn. In this area the hills are impossible to escape unless I take the bike elsewhere to ride so I don't get in a lot of miles. The information I have taken away from the posts is what I thought to myself but did not want to admit. In my case, at age 70, a better bike is just a bike I will never extract the benefit of with my riding. I am not exactly suffering with my 7 so I think I will save the money and just go ride the darn thing. I find it a great escape and extremely relaxing to just be on the road, by myself, moving forward.
Thanks again to all of you for your honesty and for not just writing my obvious question off. It is much appreciated.
Frank.
Old 09-02-18, 03:15 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Thank you all for your honest and thoughtful answers. My 7 is only about three months old so the parts are hardly worn. In this area the hills are impossible to escape unless I take the bike elsewhere to ride so I don't get in a lot of miles. The information I have taken away from the posts is what I thought to myself but did not want to admit. In my case, at age 70, a better bike is just a bike I will never extract the benefit of with my riding. I am not exactly suffering with my 7 so I think I will save the money and just go ride the darn thing. I find it a great escape and extremely relaxing to just be on the road, by myself, moving forward.
Thanks again to all of you for your honesty and for not just writing my obvious question off. It is much appreciated.
Frank.
A sensible approach. 3 months is barely broken in. Guessing you don't even have 1,000 miles on the bike yet. Ride it a few years and you will get a sense of if you want, or need another bike. If you buy a decent bike, and I think your 7 counts as a decent bike, you should be able to get 5 to 10 years out of it without a major overhaul.
Old 09-02-18, 03:24 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
have a rain bike and a good weather bike
Old 09-02-18, 04:19 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
The truth is, for the riding you do, your current bike is more than adequate.
Blasphemy! I believe that actively discouraging another member from acquiring additional bikes is a violation of the forum terms of service, punishable by banning. You'd better be careful what you say next!
Old 09-02-18, 04:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
A sensible upgrade might be a Wolf's Tooth derailleur hanger extender and a 42-tooth rear cog.
Old 09-02-18, 05:34 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Blasphemy! I believe that actively discouraging another member from acquiring additional bikes is a violation of the forum terms of service, punishable by banning. You'd better be careful what you say next!
Err, you forgot the smiley.. right? 😁
Old 09-02-18, 05:51 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Err, you forgot the smiley.. right? 😁
Guilty as charged. Seems obvious to me, but sometimes humor doesn't come across as such on the internets.
Old 09-02-18, 06:08 PM
Helderberg

Thanks again all.
Frank.

Old 09-02-18, 11:34 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Frank.
It's too soon to sell that bike. Keep it!

Where I live, I cannot ride anywhere without hills. It takes time to build up hill climbing legs and a cardiovascular fitness to go along with them. I know how it can be. If I go from my home east 9 miles I go from 5000 feet to 9600 feet of elevation. If I go west four miles I drop 800-900 feet. If I go north or south I'm immediately in the midst of rolling hills. My 20 mile nightly ride has about 1400 feet of elevation gain. These aren't huge numbers (well, except when I go east), but they're enough that there's no such thing as an easy ride close to home. But with practice it gets better.

If your Quick 7 is not enabling you to enjoy riding near where you live consider swapping out the rear cassette to one that provides a larger gear range. The Quick-7 comes with a Shimano CS-HG31 8-speed cassette in an 11-32 range. For under $20 you could buy the 11-34 version of that rear cassette, and pay your local bike shop a few bucks to install it. You may need a longer chain to accommodate the extra two teeth. The gear ratio of your current 28/32 is 0.88 (28 tooth small chainring in front, 32 tooth rear cog). The gear ratio of 28/34 is 0.82. There is a difference there -- not a huge difference, but enough that you'll feel some relief on the steeper hills. For under $50 total you could possibly expand your local riding range and give yourself enough relief that you'll be able to ride close to home on a more frequent basis, which is the beginning of getting better at hills.
Old 09-03-18, 07:48 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by davester

Marc
Old 09-03-18, 08:47 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
(Playing the enabler here)

With a second bike you can set them up for different uses.

1. Put on a rear rack, maybe a front rack, and a set of fenders, and use one bike as a grocery getting, or rummage sale shopping bike.

2. Add a set of more aggressive tires to the second bike and set it up as a light duty trail bike or fishing bike.

With two bike that are functionally the same as far as geometry it comes down to personal choice. Some simply want a second color bike to match their moods.

But here’s a thought, if you are having a minor case of buyer’s regret by thinking you want to try disc brakes now, maybe go back to the bike shop and see what they will do for you. You might be able to get a 90 day exchange to “upgrade” to what you now want.
Old 09-03-18, 09:01 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
:Someone has only one bike???
Old 09-03-18, 09:36 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I find a stable of five bicycles to be adequate:
mountain bike
transportation beater with rear rack and panniers
fast road bike
road touring bike
classic perennial project bike
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-03-18, 12:56 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I find a stable of five bicycles to be adequate:
mountain bike
transportation beater with rear rack and panniers
fast road bike
road touring bike
classic perennial project bike
i find a stable of 15 roadies, tandem, mtb, city bike + beach cruiser to be one short of ideal.

Somedays I awake feeling Italian, Spanish, Dutch, French, Irish, etc. Likely a biproduct of a confused (but happy) mind. I’m just bicycle crazy.
Old 09-03-18, 02:23 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Skip the 3. Ride your bike a few more months and then get the Quick 1 or 2.
Old 09-07-18, 09:21 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I despise sensible. Having only one bike is unnatural
My sensible old self says "sell the 7 and get the 3 if you must insist on having only one bike. It's just nice to treat yourself once in a while
Old 09-07-18, 09:35 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Assuming that the kids won't go hungry.... or utilities won't be disconnected.... get the bike. Maybe take the time to test ride... a step-up better yet... bike.

There is lots of comfort in having a back-up, spare, rain bike. Bikes do break, need parts, get damaged in wrecks, or even get stolen. And it's always nice to have a rain/snow/foul weather, and a "the street department has every road in my area under construction"... bike. Assuming of course... you have room for 2 bikes.
Old 09-08-18, 08:45 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
My wife had a Quick (I forget which model) and it constantly needed the brakes and derailleur adjusted. If your bike stays solid on the adjustments, it will probably be fine.
Old 09-08-18, 12:12 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Gotta have a Backup Bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.