Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Listening to Stuff on the Road

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Listening to Stuff on the Road

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 01:51 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Trekz titanium bone conduction headphones. Can still hear everything on the road or path. I commute 16 miles each way and it allows for lots of podcast time doing Z2 rides.
I've been thinking about bone conducting headphones. You can hear podcasts fine with loud traffic around? I was using the speaker in a water bottle cage for a while, but podcasts tended to get drowned out. Music wasn't too bad.
Old 09-11-18, 02:09 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I use one of these bluetooth things in my right ear-

https://www.amazon.com/FOCUSPOWER-Bl...mini+bluetooth

Listen to podcasts and music at a reasonable volume. The audio quality isn't stellar, but you don't need hifi when you've got the wind rushing over your head anyway. Unlike some shoddy Amazon suppliers, I had 2 of these earbuds die on me over the course of a year and both times the company immediately sent me a replacement no questions asked. Nice to not have any wires, and if I end up riding with someone and want to talk, it's easy to just slip it into a jersey pocket and turn it off.
Old 09-11-18, 03:21 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I've been thinking about bone conducting headphones. You can hear podcasts fine with loud traffic around? I was using the speaker in a water bottle cage for a while, but podcasts tended to get drowned out. Music wasn't too bad.
I can hear when a car isn't passing, and about 70% of my 1+hour commute is on a MUP. I could probably turn up the volume to drown out everything else but that wouldn't be a good idea. I'm okay with missing parts of podcasts since I prioritize safety
Old 09-11-18, 03:44 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
A single in-ear earbud in the right ear, and the left bud completely cut off at the fork. The single bud is connected to the phone which resides in the right jersey pocket, with the wire routed under the jersey. No problems in 25k miles.

Most BlueTooth earbuds are usually too bulky and don't fit well under a balaclava.
Old 09-11-18, 04:03 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NameTaken
When I'm on trails I use my Plantronics backbeat fits. They sound great, have on ear controls, last a good 8+ hours and let me still get outside sounds. When the music is playing I don't really notice the wind but you definitely hear it if you pause the music, podcast, etc. I've had mine for almost 2 years. I use them constantly and they still look like new and hold a charge. Highly recommended, just not on a road with cars
Good answer here.
Old 09-11-18, 04:23 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
For me the danger of listening to music or podcasts or any form of audible entertainment is not that it's drowning out the noise of cars or other things, its the fact that it distracts you from being alert for the odd things that invariably happen when you least expect it. When you're immersed in your favorite song it's likely going to take a fraction of a second longer to react and a lot can go wrong in a fraction of a second.
I have a bottle cage speaker that I use on early morning (4:20) rides, but on those rides, I see maybe 1 car per mile and I'm on a road with almost no intersections for most of the way. Longer rides on the weekend I go without any entertainment.
Old 09-11-18, 05:56 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
For me the danger of listening to music or podcasts or any form of audible entertainment is not that it's drowning out the noise of cars or other things, its the fact that it distracts you from being alert for the odd things that invariably happen when you least expect it. When you're immersed in your favorite song it's likely going to take a fraction of a second longer to react and a lot can go wrong in a fraction of a second.
Do you apply that notion about audible entertainment to driving motor vehicles, as well? After all, you travel a lot farther in a fraction of a second at 40 mph (or 70 mph!) than you do at 18 mph.
Old 09-11-18, 06:06 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Do you apply that notion about audible entertainment to driving motor vehicles, as well? After all, you travel a lot farther in a fraction of a second at 40 mph (or 70 mph!) than you do at 18 mph.
Very true but emergency maneuvers on two wheels are different than with four. Ask anyone that has ever target fixated.
Old 09-11-18, 06:07 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I can't listen to music, ride my bike and talk to myself at the same time.

I can listen to music later.
Old 09-11-18, 06:51 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
... at running favorite songs through my head while riding.
this
Old 09-11-18, 07:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I use one of these bluetooth things in my right ear-

https://www.amazon.com/FOCUSPOWER-Bl...mini+bluetooth

Listen to podcasts and music at a reasonable volume. The audio quality isn't stellar, but you don't need hifi when you've got the wind rushing over your head anyway. Unlike some shoddy Amazon suppliers, I had 2 of these earbuds die on me over the course of a year and both times the company immediately sent me a replacement no questions asked. Nice to not have any wires, and if I end up riding with someone and want to talk, it's easy to just slip it into a jersey pocket and turn it off.
No Beryllium drivers? Pass.
Old 09-11-18, 07:38 PM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Idak
What are you all using?
I ride in Atlanta, the home of crazy ass drivers, and I use JayBird X3 earbuds. They sound great, are light and I can unplug one and let it just dangle when I'm in traffic and need to be more aware.
Old 09-11-18, 08:00 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I have one of these in my back bottle cage on short rides, and in my center jersey pocket on longer rides.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Portable...etooth+speaker
Old 09-11-18, 10:35 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No Beryllium drivers? Pass.
snort.
Old 09-13-18, 05:21 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Please don't do the water bottle speaker. Pretty annoying for everyone else.

For bone conducting headphones, I use the Aftershokz Titanium. They're a great alternative to the Apple AirPods (one only) that I typically use. The Aftershokz are sweat and weather/water proof. So when it's hot and humid, that's when I wear them. Highly recommend them for both not interfering with ambient sound and for their durability.

Originally Posted by Riveting
A single in-ear earbud in the right ear, and the left bud completely cut off at the fork. The single bud is connected to the phone which resides in the right jersey pocket, with the wire routed under the jersey. No problems in 25k miles.

Most BlueTooth earbuds are usually too bulky and don't fit well under a balaclava.
Agree with the one ear method. Works great. If there is sound attenuation in the right ear, I can't tell. You have to be using the open air style of ear buds though.

I use the Apple AirPods and they work great regardless of how I'm dressed and they are bluetooth connected.

Originally Posted by MonsterFat
https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

See rule #62
Meh. That's why it's way down the list and not a top 10 rule.

Bottom line on using an earbud while you're riding: Don't do it in an urban setting and don't do it when you need to concentrate or when there is a risk of task saturation. Don't use one that is noise isolating. Be smart about it. Done that way, I don't see the danger.

I also have a Garmin Varia Radar so I get an additional warning that someone is coming up behind me.

J.
Old 09-13-18, 05:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I can't listen to stuff while I ride. (That's not to say other people can't or shouldn't, other people can make their own decisions.)

When I put headphones on, I go into my own world. It's not that I can't hear traffic, it's that I devote too much attention to what I'm listening to.

I don't have the same problem with speakers, like in the car.
Old 09-13-18, 05:57 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Currently, MEE Audio M6 Pro + Comply Comfort 200 foam tips + Nulaxy BR18 Bluetooth receiver.

Maximum sound isolation, good ear fit, comfortable for long rides. The sound quality could be better, not gonna lie-- my older Klipsch sound better-- but the earhook design means they don't wiggle around and get caught on things. And everything comes in under $100.

Superb quality and battery life out of the Nulaxy. 25+ hours, easily.
Old 09-14-18, 08:17 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
I ride to get away from noise. I spend enough time looking at screens and listening to news and music, riding is it's own form or entertainment.
Old 09-14-18, 08:32 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Well, the OP didn't ask, but uh... thanks for sharing, I guess? Do you also go down to the theater and interrupt movies by telling people how awesome books are?
Old 09-14-18, 09:00 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well, the OP didn't ask, but uh... thanks for sharing, I guess? Do you also go down to the theater and interrupt movies by telling people how awesome books are?
Good one.
Old 09-15-18, 11:25 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Can someone please explain, precisely, why you care about hearing cars behind you? This has been brought up more than once, and I don't see the benefit.
Old 09-15-18, 11:43 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Can someone please explain, precisely, why you care about hearing cars behind you? This has been brought up more than once, and I don't see the benefit.
Awareness of surroundings
I'd rather know a car is approaching than be startled by it.

I think this topic is way beyond a black and white - one answer for all. So much depends on circumstances. I used to ride in empty developments or corporate parks at night, and had no issues using headphones. Conversely, I'd feel completely uncomfortable isolating myself when riding on roads with traffic.
Old 09-15-18, 11:54 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

And I have no problem with people saying they don't feel comfortable with using headphones while riding-- I won't ride without a helmet, but I don't tell other people to wear helmets "or else." I have issue with people who claim wearing headphones is dangerous, or is going to get people killed. Because that's idiotic. If a distracted driver is going to hit you, they're going to hit you whether you hear them or not. Thirty miles an hour is 44 feet per second. Even if you hear it, and can magically echolocate it like you're a manbat, you have no time to evade. If there's even space to evade.

I wear headphones with maximum noise isolation-- and I can still hear cars and trucks and busses and everything else. Doesn't mean I can do anything about them.
Old 09-15-18, 12:04 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
On main roads there are cars rushing around at speed differentials of up to 50mph. On city streets there are cars, pedestrians, and bikes coming from all directions, and into and out of parking. They make u-turns, right hooks, left turns, they're distracted on cell phones.... but they have seat belts and metal cages around them.

I'm on a bike, and while it's a sturdy aluminum frame one, it's no match for the many things that can harm me on the road. Yet I love riding, and consider it a healthy sport. The benefits outweigh the relatively low risks if I'm paying attention and alert to my surroundings. So I choose NOT to listen to anything aside from the ambient sounds around me as I ride. It's for my own safety.

Anything I can do to increase my chances of avoiding a collision, I do. I have a forward headlight/flasher (L&M Urban 900), a rear flasher (CygloLite HotShot Pro 150), and when I'm riding after dark I also use flashing amber side-lights that mount below one of my bottle cages (Bottle Blinky). I wear a helmet, and cycling clothing that has reflective components to it. I even have a few strips of reflective adhesive on my bike. I wear gloves (which have saved my hands serious road rash recently).

But after all that, I go out and enjoy myself.

Consider this anecdote:

In my early 20's I got into the sport of sailing. Sailing has a lot to do with keeping track of relative wind angles and relative wind speed. At first I had to frequently check a wind vane and windspeed gauge for direction and speed information. Over time I got so I could sense the conditions and judge them well based on the feeling of the wind as it passed across my face.

In my late-20s I found it necessary to get prescription glasses. One of the first things I noticed about them was that they changed how I sensed the wind. Until I re-learned the feel, I had to go back to frequently looking up at the wind vane.

Another anecdote:

I've been riding clipless pedals exclusively for over a decade. The other day I switched the pedals out to flats just temporarily for some errand riding. The first thing I noticed was that navigating tight corners or harsh road conditions, I felt less "in control". I've come to expect that mechanical connection between my feet and the bike, and when it's not there, I'm not controlling the bike as effectively.

In both of these anecdotes our effectiveness improves by removing some of the buffers between ourselves and the things we're interacting with. Clipless pedals get us closer to the bike's balance and mechanics. Glasses got me farther from the feel of wind in my face that aided my sailing.

Well, there's something else that is a part of cycling, and that's reacting to the chaos in the world around us. We tend to do that better when we know about it. Our eyes give us field of view at maybe 180 degrees... and a little more if we take them off of what's in front of us and turn to look behind us. But our ears can be working on deciphering sounds all around us. It's a mistake in road riding to deprive ourselves of the one sense that can detect something coming up behind us.
Old 09-15-18, 01:20 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Everything was going so well right up to that last sentence. Then you had to go and ruin it.

I'll give you an anecdote. There's a housing development going up on the east side of the nearby river trail, the houses set back probably 75 feet from the trail. To the other side, 1/4 mile of sand and trees. When the framers are blasting away with nailguns, I can see them inside the open skeletons of the houses-- but there is absolutely no directionality to the sound. Depending on the temperature, the humidity, the wind, sometimes that pap... pap... pap! sounds like it's coming from directly ahead. Sometimes above.

I can hear the city busses coming up behind me from a ways off-- when they accelerate, they're pretty loud. But I cannot tell which lane they're in. The human ear is simply not designed to precisely locate objects that are behind it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.