Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to install new shift cable on 10-spd 105 LEFT shifter ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 11:19 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

There are plenty of videos on doing the right shifter, some with people even asking for a video on doing the left, but nothing seems available.
I'm talking about the (now) older 105 10-spd 5700 series. I just installed a new right shifter, and noticed the left shifter was behaving oddly, and figured I might as well install a cable in that one, but apparently the unit itself, and the process, is different.
Old 07-05-19, 11:41 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Maybe watch the video in a mirror.
Old 07-05-19, 12:09 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Maybe watch the video in a mirror.

Originally Posted by Brocephus
.......but apparently the unit itself, and the process, is different.
And by "different", I didn't mean a simple and predictable mirror image, something that naturally already occurred to me.
Old 07-05-19, 12:45 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Unless Shimano made a radical change from earlier brifters, the left shifter is pretty much a mirror image of the right one but with fewer "clicks". Pull gently on the inner wire while operating the inner shift lever several times to be sure the ratchet is in its most "relaxed" position, then pull on the brake lever to expose the mechanism and push on the inner wire from the exit side to push the cable head out of it's pocket. Fully remove the old wire and "reassemble in reverse order".
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-05-19, 02:45 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Originally Posted by HillRider
Unless Shimano made a radical change from earlier brifters, the left shifter is pretty much a mirror image of the right one but with fewer "clicks". Pull gently on the inner wire while operating the inner shift lever several times to be sure the ratchet is in its most "relaxed" position, then pull on the brake lever to expose the mechanism and push on the inner wire from the exit side to push the cable head out of it's pocket. Fully remove the old wire and "reassemble in reverse order".
Hey, thanks for the reply, but they're definitely not identical (mirror images). If you roll the rubber back, there's a (presumably) removable plastic plate on the outer side of the 2-spd left shifter, that isn't on the right shifter. And the hole the cable feeds into the right shifter, doesn't seem visible on the left one.
I read someone suggest removing the side plate to access the head of the cable, but i ain't stepping on that landmine again ! I'm hoping to get some rock-solid info before proceeding further.
(and there's no big hurry, I almost never use my large chain ring these days, and of what I can see of the cable under the hood, there's no fraying yet. On the shifter that recently imploded on me, I could see frayed cable).
Old 07-05-19, 03:35 PM
bnb69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
RJ the bike guy just uploaded a video about this very subject on YouTube. Check it out.
Likes For bnb69:
Old 07-05-19, 03:39 PM
road292

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
How about the Shimano TechDocs site? Here's the link to the 5700 series: https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/S...5700&type=ROAD